Gen2 Hyper-V not booting from ISO

I have a bit of an issue. Trying to create a Gen2 VM, and all I get is SCSI error, failed to boot.

Google revealed a solution that doesn't work. I don't get the press any key to boot from CD/DVD message that everyone else seems to get, I just get a refusal to load anything from an ISO.

The ISO's are working images, I have Win 8.1 installing in a gen1 VM now, but I seem to have rather crappy performance using the Gen1 machines. I'll be compiling code in the VM, so performance is rather important (working on a client/server application with lots of encryption, want to work on both together as the code is pretty much the same).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

hyperv is not the best VM software out there and is a pain to work with

try passing a storage device to it with a windows installer and see if it boots and can see the drive

if so then try it with the software you are trying to install, it should do the same thing

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Try checking in settings under firmware  there is a boot order on the right side you might need to change it so that your DVD drive (ISO) is at the top of the list.

Gen 2 has secure boot enabled by default, because its made for UEFI installs.

Make sure your DVD drive (which has the ISO mounted) is set as Primary as @UberBruce pointed out.

If it still doesn't work, try turning off Secure Boot on the Guest machine then try booting.

If it still fails, you might need to convert the image into a UEFI bootable, to run it as a Gen2

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I've set the DVD to first position in boot list, also set the SCSI device for the DVD to position 0. Secure boot is disabled and the ISO is Win 8.1, although not one from Microsoft.

I'm using Hyper-v as I'm doing some mobile development, and the Windows phone emu's use it. I've got it installed as a Gen1 machine now, bit slow but it should be OK.

On 9/14/2016 at 4:27 AM, Curious Pineapple said:

I have a bit of an issue. Trying to create a Gen2 VM, and all I get is SCSI error, failed to boot.

Google revealed a solution that doesn't work. I don't get the press any key to boot from CD/DVD message that everyone else seems to get, I just get a refusal to load anything from an ISO.

The ISO's are working images, I have Win 8.1 installing in a gen1 VM now, but I seem to have rather crappy performance using the Gen1 machines. I'll be compiling code in the VM, so performance is rather important (working on a client/server application with lots of encryption, want to work on both together as the code is pretty much the same).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

fyi, no real performance difference between gen 1 and gen 2. Heck unless things have changed recently you can't load a gen 2 into azure. If you need more performance go increase the number of CPU cores your are giving it. Work on the ratio of 4 virtual cores to 1 physical core (but this is total, so if you have 2VMs on a due core give each 4cores).

16 hours ago, Blake said:

fyi, no real performance difference between gen 1 and gen 2. Heck unless things have changed recently you can't load a gen 2 into azure. If you need more performance go increase the number of CPU cores your are giving it. Work on the ratio of 4 virtual cores to 1 physical core (but this is total, so if you have 2VMs on a due core give each 4cores).

There's no way to add more virtual cores than physical that I have found. I have a hexacore CPU, and give the VM's 5 or 6. The performance is awful though, I used to get better performance using VirtualBox on a Core 2 duo!