Most games not launching.

davidgr95

Hey,

So I have been having this issue for the past couple weeks where some games jsut don't boot at all, while others play just fine.  Arma 3, for example, won't launch, but CS:GO does.  I see it in my task manager but could wait for hours and it still wouldn't come up.  Have tried restarting, updating every driver, repairing/reinstalling every game that doesn't work, I even reset my overclock so everything is running at stock.  My temps are fine as well... I don't know what else to do!

Edit:  I forgot to include my specs.

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz

Mobo: MSI Z170A gaming M3
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 something something MHz
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

I don't think much else matters, tell me if you need more though!

try a clean install, that would be my suggestion. its a hassle but with problems like this its most of the time the fastest solution in my experience.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

specs?

Edited my first post to include what I think should be important, rest is on my profile.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

try a clean install, that would be my suggestion. its a hassle but with problems like this its most of the time the fastest solution in my experience.

Is there anything else I could do other than that?  I really don't have time for that with all my school and work stuff atm..

7 minutes ago, wotm said:

Edited my first post to include what I think should be important, rest is on my profile.

Is there anything else I could do other than that?  I really don't have time for that with all my school and work stuff atm..

you can hire a professional to look at it, its really hard to debug something that doesn't even give an error message over a forum. you could check the windows logs and see if anything pops up. maybe try doing a live windows boot and see if that works. i sometimes use a process monitor to see at what function the process halts. you could probably try that best. configure it to only show results for the game you're trying to start. but before you do that, check your windows system logs for any errors. 

how to check windows logs: http://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

process monitor: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

also do you have direct x etc installed? all the system requirements for the game configured?

Just now, tlink said:

also do you have direct x etc installed? all the system requirements for the game configured?

Yeah I know I have the hardware and I've uninstalled and reinstalled all that software...  

+1 for tlink's suggestion of Process Monitor (and the rest of the Sysinternals suite), and checking your system logs. If a process is hanging or crashing you should see it between those two tools.

It sounds pretty arbitrary that some games work but others don't, perhaps there is a pattern? (do all the games that fail use the same engine?).

I would also look at logs for any aggressive antivirus products as well in case it is silently blocking something (white list or disable it if so), or any other 3rd party system-y helper type programs.

You might even be able to launch your game in debug mode or with verbose logging if it supports it. Check the game documentation.

If you've already reinstalled the game I doubt it would help, but as an outside show you could try verifying your steam cache (or equivalent), and your windows system files with 'sfc /scannow'