Memory Down-Clocked Automatically

cammil334
Go to solution Solved by MoraisGT,

Just do it manually then, do a clear cmos to start from scratch, set the speed to 1866MHz, the timings to 10-11-10-30 and the voltage to 1.65V (lookup this info first, it could be 1.6V).

Hey everybody.

I'm running a GA-990FXA-UD5 motherboard with the latest BIOS->FCh and an FX9590 at 4.7ghz with boost turned off. I have 2x8 GB sticks rated at 1866 with 10-11-10-30 timings, however I was running the CAM utility from NZXT and I noticed my memory running at 1333 speeds and alternate timings. Tried to go into the UEFI and bring the memory back up to 1866. After I did so the computer refused to do anything, first blue screen, then just stuck in weird loops. Cleared the CMOS and restarted and it decided to work again. Can anyone tell me what I might be able to do to get it back up? My motherboard is rated to run memory up to 1866 without overclocking so I'm having a hard time figuring this out. I'm looking to purchase another 2x8 kit of the same stuff but its dumb to spend the money and not use it fully...

I'll answer any what questions I can to try and help. Thanks!

My Specs.png

Untitled.png

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Bios FCh | CPU: AMD FX9590 8 Core 4.7Ghz  | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1866mhz 4x8GB 10-11-10-30 (DC-1333Mhz 9-9-9-24) | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB Strix | Storage: 2 1TB WD Blue, 1 250GB Samsung EVO SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850i Modular | Cooling: Corsair H115i

can you post screenshot of the cpuz memory tab? asking because I am not sure if that screenshot shows DDR speed or effective speed.

Edited by Levent
typo

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

can you post screenshot of the cpuz memory tab? asking because I am not sure if that screenshot shows DDR speed or effective speed.

Yeah but I'll need to redownload CPUz so give me a few

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Bios FCh | CPU: AMD FX9590 8 Core 4.7Ghz  | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1866mhz 4x8GB 10-11-10-30 (DC-1333Mhz 9-9-9-24) | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB Strix | Storage: 2 1TB WD Blue, 1 250GB Samsung EVO SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850i Modular | Cooling: Corsair H115i

11 minutes ago, Levent said:

Here you are.

Untitled.png

Did you only change the frequency when you went to the BIOS?

You have to change the timings and voltage also for the RAM to be stable.

Alternatively you can enable the XMP profile if you have it.

Just now, MoraisGT said:

Did you only change the frequency when you went to the BIOS?

You have to change the timings and voltage also for the RAM to be stable.

Alternatively you can enable the XMP profile if you have it.

I tried enabling the XMP profile which brought it back to 1866 and ran into those problems. Couldn't change the timings and voltages for some reason but I can go back and look.

Just now, Thread212 said:

See it will be a lot more easier if u use an intel platform..
u can just call the XMP profile and its done..

Sorry i am not really familiar with amd.

Couldnt afford an intel platform at the time I initially built the system and went from a duo core up to a hex and finally ending on an octo core

Just do it manually then, do a clear cmos to start from scratch, set the speed to 1866MHz, the timings to 10-11-10-30 and the voltage to 1.65V (lookup this info first, it could be 1.6V).

12 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

It seems to have worked! If I get unstable I'll put the voltage to 1.65V. That wont fry anything right?

1 minute ago, cammil334 said:

It seems to have worked! If I get unstable I'll put the voltage to 1.65V. That wont fry anything right?

If it's rated for 1.6v, no 1.65v isn't going to kill anything.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 hour ago, Thread212 said:

See it will be a lot more easier if u use an intel platform..
u can just call the XMP profile and its done..

Sorry i am not really familiar with amd.

Obviously not, as you can load the XMP in AMD platforms all the same. 

6 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

XMP is an intel technology so i am not sure if its worked on amd board.
amd has its own its called AMP. ( amd memory profile )

And it's exactly the same.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Thread212 said:

yes. but its for a different board..
Xmp for intel. Amp for amd.
Though i am not sure if xmp is compatible with amd but i havent tried it yet..hmm make me curious.

I know that.

The naming is irrelevant though, you change one letter while the function is exactly the same on both... You turn it on and it boosts memory to its rated speeds instead of a stock memory controller speed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Thread212 said:

yes. but its for a different board..
Xmp for intel. Amp for amd.
Though i am not sure if xmp is compatible with amd but i havent tried it yet..hmm make me curious.

You don't understand: you are not sure, but we are. You get an AMD board, you enter BIOS, and you literally have the option to load the "XMP" for your RAM. Zero difference.

On top of that, some RAM sticks (only Radeon sticks as far as I know), have also an "AMP" which you can load (on top of an XMP).

There is no compatibility issue: XMP, AMP, or whatever, it's just a string of numbers for frequency, timings, and voltages. Any BIOS can read it as long as the manufacturer of the motherboard wants to. The only difference between XMP and AMP is that the RAM manufacturer tested the sticks in an Intel platform or an AMD platform before rating it for a given configuration. But it never grants that it will run at that configuration in your setup, whether Intel or AMD.

Long story short, any platform you have, you can load the settings saved to the RAM stick by the manufacturer under any label. And then cross your fingers (but it typically works).

Well I have a new problem. The system was unstable so I upped the voltage to 1.65V like I mentioned above, now the system won't post. Cleared CMOS both by removing battery and using the two prong jump for clearing on my MB. No post. Tried using different ram sticks. No post. Tried removing all hardware except for my CPU and RAM. After placing graphics card back in, no post. I'm totally stuck and now have a bricked system...oh and to the guy who i said had best answer, it worked but the sticks seem to be rated for 1.5 volts according to the sticker on the side.