Micro ATX / ITX Case for a Deep Graphics Card

Timmo
Go to solution Solved by ARikozuM,
21 minutes ago, Timoral said:

I have ordered at the Define Nano S and had to RMA it for being faulty. It was also catching the PSU. Great case but no support for cards slightly over the 2 slot limit.

My next suggestion would be the Corsair 88R. You can place the rad on the top or in the front. 

One ITX case I can think of that may support the 240mm rad would be the Node 804.

Can anyone recommend a case for my current build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/timoral/saved/3ZrFf7

I need the case to be able to give good airflow for my MSI R9 390 Radeon 8G Gaming which in my current build (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX) has poor airflow. It almost catches the metal which separates the power supply from the rest of the case, which is why I am looking into Micro ATX cases to allow for the extra airflow. The case will still need to support my Asus Z170I ITX motherboard however while supporting good cable management etc.

If there is a Mini ITX case which supports a beefy graphics card then let me know, but so far, all I can find are small enclosures with nex to no GPU airflow.

My budget is a maximum of around £100. Anymore and I might as well buy a new GPU.

(The GPU is currently running at 90oC and I have already tried replacing the the thermal paste with no results so I am down to assuming there is a major airflow problem. It can get to 95oC and throttle in most games. Any type of overclock will cause it to overheat and shutdown the PC.)

Mastercase Maker 3 is a great new case that would fit your needs. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84KG2698&cm_re=mastercase_3-_-11-119-317-_-Product

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Are the fans on your radiator pushing air out?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Corsair Carbide Air 240

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Are the fans on your radiator pushing air out?

Yes they are on the top of the case. I also now have two nocutal 140mm fans in the front of the case, and another 120mm cougar fan pushing the air out of the case. I can set these all to 100% in the asus fan xpert software and the GPU will still be hanging around 90oC

15 minutes ago, Timoral said:

Yes they are on the top of the case. I also now have two nocutal 140mm fans in the front of the case, and another 120mm cougar fan pushing the air out of the case. I can set these all to 100% in the asus fan xpert software and the GPU will still be hanging around 90oC

If you're using an ITX case I'd suggest getting a blower style cooler since they'll do vastly better. 

As for the suggestion of a case, have you looked at NZXT Source or Fractal Define?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

If you're using an ITX case I'd suggest getting a blower style cooler since they'll do vastly better. 

As for the suggestion of a case, have you looked at NZXT Source or Fractal Define?

I have ordered at the Define Nano S and had to RMA it for being faulty. It was also catching the PSU. Great case but no support for cards slightly over the 2 slot limit.

48 minutes ago, Timoral said:

Can anyone recommend a case for my current build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/timoral/saved/3ZrFf7

I need the case to be able to give good airflow for my MSI R9 390 Radeon 8G Gaming which in my current build (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX) has poor airflow. It almost catches the metal which separates the power supply from the rest of the case, which is why I am looking into Micro ATX cases to allow for the extra airflow. The case will still need to support my Asus Z170I ITX motherboard however while supporting good cable management etc.

If there is a Mini ITX case which supports a beefy graphics card then let me know, but so far, all I can find are small enclosures with nex to no GPU airflow.

My budget is a maximum of around £100. Anymore and I might as well buy a new GPU.

(The GPU is currently running at 90oC and I have already tried replacing the the thermal paste with no results so I am down to assuming there is a major airflow problem. It can get to 95oC and throttle in most games. Any type of overclock will cause it to overheat and shutdown the PC.)

The CoolerMaster MasterCase 3 is the only MATX case with decent airflow potential that supports dual 140mm intakes, since you already have those fans you won't need to worry about throwing them out or buying new ones.

21 minutes ago, Timoral said:

My next suggestion would be the Corsair 88R. You can place the rad on the top or in the front. 

One ITX case I can think of that may support the 240mm rad would be the Node 804.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

The Node 804 actually looks pretty good although a little outdated

5 hours ago, Timoral said:

The Node 804 actually looks pretty good although a little outdated

I agree it does but when you have that much room behind the motherboard it's a great option. You don't even have to worry about cable management!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I agree it does but when you have that much room behind the motherboard it's a great option. You don't even have to worry about cable management!

I agree. Best price on Amazon is out of stock as of now, but it's on my watchlist. Thanks for all the help.

20 hours ago, Timoral said:

Fractal design Node 304 or 804, depending on whether you want a ITX/mATX case, would be my go-to

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

I think I've decided on the Node 804. My thoughts are to put the radiator at the back in the right channel, have my 2 140mm fans at the top of the left channel and move the other fans around that. Thoughts?

Also does anyone know what the clearance is like in the left channel top and front? Even though I'm planning on putting the radiator in the right chamber, I wondered whether both fans could be used in the front alongside the rad in the top?

39 minutes ago, Timoral said:

I think I've decided on the Node 804. My thoughts are to put the radiator at the back in the right channel, have my 2 140mm fans at the top of the left channel and move the other fans around that. Thoughts?

Also does anyone know what the clearance is like in the left channel top and front? Even though I'm planning on putting the radiator in the right chamber, I wondered whether both fans could be used in the front alongside the rad in the top?

I'll check as soon as I get home. 

The Newegg page has good information and the Fractal ad gives all the information as well. IF the tubing is long enough I'd place the rad on the front of the HDD side of the case. It also comes with a fan controller built-in with three speeds (no off setting) which is a very nice add. 

While I usually recommend a blower cooler for ITX, the Node 804 takes almost anything and runs with it. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352047

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'll check as soon as I get home. 

The Newegg page has good information and the Fractal ad gives all the information as well. IF the tubing is long enough I'd place the rad on the front of the HDD side of the case. It also comes with a fan controller built-in with three speeds (no off setting) which is a very nice add. 

While I usually recommend a blower cooler for ITX, the Node 804 takes almost anything and runs with it. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352047

That's a better idea. That way I can use one of the drive cages and put my ssds on show in the front. The radiator would also then have fresh air while still separating the heat from the rest of the case. (Namely the GPU)

On 9/12/2016 at 5:39 AM, tkell said:

Corsair Carbide Air 240

This case has fans right in front of the GPU and that works well, plus for cabling that all is on the side of the case near the back of the mother board with power supply  and easy to keep things looking tidy

Edited by tkell

(CPU) i9 9900K  (MB)ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I   (RAM) Royal Z Gold 2x8GB  40000DDR4 (GPU) Radeon VII  (CASE) Shift-X  (Storage)M.2 ADATA XPG8200 Pro/  (PSU)Corsair SF750 (COOLING)-H100I Pro   Folding ID Tim_Kelly