Power Supply (PSU) fan direction

PSU Fan Direction

This time I want to know about the placement of the PSU's fan. The direction of the power supply to reduce heat. Talk from my ambient room temperature basis which stays between 33'c - 35'c. 1 shows the bottom. 2 represents the towards the case. If there are threads on this same topic, then attach the links. 1 seems good for the GPU as the heat goes out of the PSU fan. Does it help to reduce the temp of the GPU(Rx 460) anyhow a little bit? 2 is for positive cooling for the PSU. These days, I am slammed with my CPU temp, so I am totally into cooling mode now. I have very normal 120mm fans in my Versa n25 case. 1 rear outtake, 2 top outtake and 2 front intake. All are with 1200 RPM. 

My GPU's went up to 77'c playing Black Flag and so I thought about changing the fan side.

PSU.jpg

77c is fine for load temps.

What cpu do you have and what are the load temps?

You should optimally have the psu fan facing down in the Versa N25 to isolate the cooling. Having an extra exhaust fan might help internal case temps but keeping your psu cool is also important. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

everything you need to know.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

22 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

77c is fine for load temps.

What cpu do you have and what are the load temps?

You should optimally have the psu fan facing down in the Versa N25 to isolate the cooling. Having an extra exhaust fan might help internal case temps but keeping your psu cool is also important. 

CPU is 8320 (NO O.C) You know my history. I am the guy with the CPU temp problems. 68, Hyper 103...  My message to you.

22 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

also what brand of 460?

Sapphire 4GB. Thought about the Strix edition but wasn't available at the moment.

Just now, Anirban said:

CPU is 8320 (NO O.C) You know my history. I am the guy with the CPU temp problems. 68, Hyper 103...  My message to you.

Ah, hey there--it takes a while before I get familiar with some newer members. 

Still haven't fixed your cpu temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

24 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, hey there--it takes a while before I get familiar with some newer members. 

Still haven't fixed your cpu temps?

No Mod, stomach has been aching since morning. Funny thing is that I was going to check the temps again with Hyper 103 but as I was sleeping, the pickup boy came and dad returned it as I forgot to tell him not to give that one. If I directly go for 212x, would it slightly improve condition?

Edited by Anirban
Android's annoying auto correct

1 minute ago, Anirban said:

No Mod, stomach has been aching since morning. Funny thing is that I was going to check the temps again with Hyper 103 again but as I was sleeping, the pickup boy cane and dad returned it as I forgot to tell him not to give that one. If I directly go for 212x, would it slightly improve condition?

The 212x does perform better and should lower temps. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 212x does perform better and should lower temps. 

You deserve a hug. :) I'll keep you updated as soon as I install that. 

3 hours ago, Anirban said:

PSU Fan Direction

This time I want to know about the placement of the PSU's fan. The direction of the power supply to reduce heat. Talk from my ambient room temperature basis which stays between 33'c - 35'c. 1 shows the bottom. 2 represents the towards the case. If there are threads on this same topic, then attach the links. 1 seems good for the GPU as the heat goes out of the PSU fan. Does it help to reduce the temp of the GPU(Rx 460) anyhow a little bit? 2 is for positive cooling for the PSU. These days, I am slammed with my CPU temp, so I am totally into cooling mode now. I have very normal 120mm fans in my Versa n25 case. 1 rear outtake, 2 top outtake and 2 front intake. All are with 1200 RPM. 

My GPU's went up to 77'c playing Black Flag and so I thought about changing the fan side.

PSU.jpg

If you have carpet where your PSU would breathe from then it's recommended to flip the fan up if you have enough airflow in the system. Otherwise, if on a desk or hardwood floor then face the fan down so that the thing isn't sucking in hot air from your system.

3 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

everything you need to know.

I sort of don't like how LTT did this as they used a PSU with a very, very good temperature tolerance of 50C and if they did this with something of lower quality like an EVGA B or Corsair CX then it may have made a difference. It's generally better for dustproofing and airflow for the PSU to have it facing down.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

If you have carpet where your PSU would breathe from then it's recommended to flip the fan up if you have enough airflow in the system. Otherwise, if on a desk or hardwood floor then face the fan down so that the thing isn't sucking in hot air from your system.

I sort of don't like how LTT did this as they used a PSU with a very, very good temperature tolerance of 50C and if they did this with something of lower quality like an EVGA B or Corsair CX then it may have made a difference. It's generally better for dustproofing and airflow for the PSU to have it facing down.

Contrarily, I wanted to do the exact thing in the diagram 1. Yes the heat will decrease the efficiency of the PSU as well. Bad idea. By the way, is 2000 rpmmuch greater than 1200 rpm. It's obviously better but, to what extent?

12 hours ago, Anirban said:

By the way, is 2000 rpmmuch greater than 1200 rpm. It's obviously better but, to what extent?

2000rpm fans tend to be loud and aren't obviously better. 

Performance may increase but by how much will depend on the application and fan design.

42 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

2000rpm fans tend to be loud and aren't obviously better. 

Performance may increase but by how much will depend on the application and fan design.

Intake fan. CM Sickleflow 120mm.

8 minutes ago, Anirban said:

Intake fan. CM Sickleflow 120mm.

Sickleflows aren't good.