Acer predator XB271HU vs X34

TheRedViper

Hello there, I am looking for a new monitor and I came to the conclusion that I need to chose from these 2 from the 1440p bracket as 4K seems too primitive gaming wise for now. I'm still open for suggestions, but these two seem like the best option. The XB271HK or 321HK seems fine for 4K though. For your info, I'm running GTX 1070 ROG STRIX in SLI with EKWB waterblocks running at 2k each. 

XB271HU:

27'' (16:9 ratio)

2560x1440 native and maximum resolution

144Hz (Can be OC to 165Hz with display port)

Display port or HDMI 1.4 ports

IPS 4ms panel with G-SYNC

950$ CAD

X34:

34'' Curved (21:9 ratio)

WQHD 3440x1440

60Hz can be OC to 100Hz

IPS 4ms panel with G-SYNC

1620$ CAD

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Unless you really want the widescreen don't go with the Predator. Also, you should take a look at the XG270HU. Very similar to the first monitor listed but it's a FreeSync panel with 1ms response time.

Just now, Joshe343 said:

Unless you really want the widescreen don't go with the Predator. Also, you should take a look at the XG270HU. Very similar to the first monitor listed but it's a FreeSync panel with 1ms response time.

I'm running gtx 1070 SLI, I need G-sync

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

bump

On 9/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, TheRedViper said:

I'm running gtx 1070 SLI, I need G-sync

Honestly you should be fine with a FreeSync monitor however I've never tested this for myself so take that with a grain of salt. Also, can't you force G-Sync in the NVIDIA drivers?

5 hours ago, Joshe343 said:

Honestly you should be fine with a FreeSync monitor however I've never tested this for myself so take that with a grain of salt. Also, can't you force G-Sync in the NVIDIA drivers?

I bought the XB271HU yesterday, but honestly G-sync is a monitor feature as far as I know. You can't force a feature that doesn't exist within the monitor itself?

11 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

I bought the XB271HU yesterday, but honestly G-sync is a monitor feature as far as I know. You can't force a feature that doesn't exist within the monitor itself?

G-Sync is tech that runs on both the monitor and GPU... you can't run FreeSync and G-Sync mixed, then you will only be able to use basic V-sync.

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

Just now, Tech Inquisition said:

G-Sync is tech that runs on both the monitor and GPU... you can't run FreeSync and G-Sync mixed, then you will only be able to use basic V-sync.

Yeah but I mean if your monitor doesn't have g-sync even though your graphics card like the 1070 do, its useless

I bought the X34 recently and absolutely love it, but it's the first monitor I've purchased in over 10 years so I realistically can't compare it to anything.

I think your choice will come down more to whether you want ultrawide (21:9) or just 16:9. Personally, I'm never going back. FPS games, racing sims, Rocket League, GTA, they all ROCK at this ratio, and the screen realestate afforded me by the extra horizontal pixels makes working from home with my laptop a rather joyous experience too.

CPU: i5-6600k GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Ram: 16GB DDR4 SSD: Samsung 950Pro 512gb m.2

6 minutes ago, twisties said:

I bought the X34 recently and absolutely love it, but it's the first monitor I've purchased in over 10 years so I realistically can't compare it to anything.

I think your choice will come down more to whether you want ultrawide (21:9) or just 16:9. Personally, I'm never going back. FPS games, racing sims, Rocket League, GTA, they all ROCK at this ratio, and the screen realestate afforded me by the extra horizontal pixels makes working from home with my laptop a rather joyous experience too.

Yeah I don't remove anything to the X34, but I could get the XB271HU at 950$ with free shipping on rebate while the X34 was 1650$ which would almost double the price with shipping. Plus the X34 might have taken too much space on my desk so I didn't want to take any chances either way, I don't regret my choice. The XB271HU is rated as the best screen for 1440p (non-curved). The X34 would have been a nice experience too, maybe in a few years il change my screen for its newer version but at 4K this time :)

Heh, I wish I didn't have to spend $1600 on this thing myself but it was my ultimate goal to finish off my PC build from late last year (yeah, it took me till now to save for the monitor). I would jump all over a 4k model in future for work / productivity tasks. The pixel density at 3440x1440 should satisfy me for a good few years until I can afford a new PC again.

CPU: i5-6600k GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti Ram: 16GB DDR4 SSD: Samsung 950Pro 512gb m.2