Price of Local Parts, Disgusting!

Andivegito

Hello all, how's the community doing?

Well I've been doing research for the build I want and know what I want. Yay! But problems or at least disgust arises when look at BOTH local available stock and  prices.

So I made a spread sheet. Yup. IT outlined different builds for different Intel LGA sockets and while what I picked was ultimately in the realm of expensive, it's something that I can realistically save for... if I buy overseas. From America. Locally however... No, even if I toned down everything it's STILL be more expensive than my preferred build at American prices. That said while my spreadsheet that I has made didn't include shipping and declaration (TAX), I researched that too. It's STILL cheaper to buy overseas. So what the problem?

1. I have NEVER EVER brought from overseas before.

2. It's riskier to import than to buy locally/

3. While it doesn't happen often, I am going to have bigger problems with D.O.A parts.

4. I'm quite possibly foolish and stubborn.

The only last resort I have is my best-friend's husband. He can supposedly get the part at "warehouse" prices, as in other words, noticeably cheaper. However considering the base stock price of local goods, It's may not make an affordable difference.

Here is the spread sheet I made: (To avoid confusing for any whom gives a look over the chosen PC is label with Pref.)

Thanks to all here at LTT.

New PC Planning.xlsx

Overseas parts are fine. Buying international is great but I do share your strife with DOA's overseas.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

1 minute ago, Trav_X said:

Overseas parts are fine. Buying international is great but I do share your strife with DOA's overseas.

Yes. I'm not against buying overseas, but I fear the ramifications of my utter inexperience.

Just now, Andivegito said:

Yes. I'm not against buying overseas, but I fear the ramifications of my utter inexperience.

So are you deciding to use your friend's husband for parts? Or are you still wary about it

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

2 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

So are you deciding to use your friend's husband for parts? Or are you still wary about it

I can't say I've decided to use him, however it's a less riskier avenue than overseas purchase. Really I'm floundering between the two but the main part that while buying from him may be cheaper in comparison to local stores, the overseas option is still a big cash saver.

23 minutes ago, Andivegito said:

Hello all, how's the community doing?

Well I've been doing research for the build I want and know what I want. Yay! But problems or at least disgust arises when look at BOTH local available stock and  prices.

So I made a spread sheet. Yup. IT outlined different builds for different Intel LGA sockets and while what I picked was ultimately in the realm of expensive, it's something that I can realistically save for... if I buy overseas. From America. Locally however... No, even if I toned down everything it's STILL be more expensive than my preferred build at American prices. That said while my spreadsheet that I has made didn't include shipping and declaration (TAX), I researched that too. It's STILL cheaper to buy overseas. So what the problem?

1. I have NEVER EVER brought from overseas before.

2. It's riskier to import than to buy locally/

3. While it doesn't happen often, I am going to have bigger problems with D.O.A parts.

4. I'm quite possibly foolish and stubborn.

The only last resort I have is my best-friend's husband. He can supposedly get the part at "warehouse" prices, as in other words, noticeably cheaper. However considering the base stock price of local goods, It's may not make an affordable difference.

Here is the spread sheet I made: (To avoid confusing for any whom gives a look over the chosen PC is label with Pref.)

Thanks to all here at LTT.

New PC Planning.xlsx

Hi! Well, it looks like you can save a lot of money also by eliminating overkill parts.

Is this build a gaming / workstation hybird? Or just gaming?

If it's just gaming:

- 32GB is overkill you're fine on 16GB and even on 8GB

- The CM Hyper 612 isn't a great cooler, I would buy something different especially if you want to overclock a lot.

- You don't need a 6700K for gaming, the 6600K is less than 5% slower when it comes to actual framerate.

If it's for some kind of professional work:

- The Xeon E3-1230 v5 requires a workstation motherboard (chipset C232 or C236, sometimes called X150), but it's much cheaper than an i7-6700K and still has all those threads that you will want in order to speed up video rendering times, or any other threaded workload.

- If you buy this one, it will come with its own cooler which is fine.

Also both case choices seem a bit weak imo. I would get a NZKT S340 if you can afford that, and a Source 210 if you want it cheaper.

As for buying overseas from a friend, that's probably a viable choice. Make sure to compensate your contact for the effort they take.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Hi! Well, it looks like you can save a lot of money also by eliminating overkill parts.

Is this build a gaming / workstation hybird? Or just gaming?

If it's just gaming:

- 32GB is overkill you're fine on 16GB and even on 8GB

- The CM Hyper 612 isn't a great cooler, I would buy something different especially if you want to overclock a lot.

- You don't need a 6700K for gaming, the 6600K is less than 5% slower when it comes to actual framerate.

If it's for some kind of professional work:

- The Xeon E3-1230 v5 requires a workstation motherboard (chipset C232 or C236, sometimes called X150), but it's much cheaper than an i7-6700K and still has all those threads that you will want in order to speed up video rendering times, or any other threaded workload.

- If you buy this one, it will come with its own cooler which is fine.

Also both case choices seem a bit weak imo. I would get a NZKT S340 if you can afford that, and a Source 210 if you want it cheaper.

As for buying overseas from a friend, that's probably a viable choice. Make sure to compensate your contact for the effort they take.

Well I am well aware I have an overkill system, the downgrade of parts would only make it a viable at marginally cheaper alternative for the overseas purchase and not local. And perhaps I should clarify, by overseas purchase I mean like from places like Amazon or Newegg. My friend's husband is also in South Africa, which is why he is less riskier, the "warehouse" prices I mentioned are SA "warehouse" prices. That being said if it was that he had been overseas, then this would have been a done deal a month ago. But alas his prices which my be cheaper, would not beat the overseas prices. That being said, if I DO decide to buy overseas, I'll be doing so next month with money to spare as I can afford my chosen rig at the various oversea prices. I worry about the risk and my inexperience in buy form overseas.

2 minutes ago, Andivegito said:

Well I am well aware I have an overkill system, the downgrade of parts would only make it a viable at marginally cheaper alternative for the overseas purchase and not local. And perhaps I should clarify, by overseas purchase I mean like from places like Amazon or Newegg. My friend's husband is also in South Africa, which is why he is less riskier, the "warehouse" prices I mentioned are SA "warehouse" prices. That being said if it was that he had been overseas, then this would have been a done deal a month ago. But alas his prices which my be cheaper, would not beat the overseas prices. That being said, if I DO decide to buy overseas, I'll be doing so next month with money to spare as I can afford my chosen rig at the various oversea prices. I worry about the risk and my inexperience in buy form overseas.

Perhaps it is both simpler and cheaper to buy from the UK than the US; I take it SA is still part of the Commonwealth.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Perhaps it is both simpler and cheaper to buy from the UK than the US; I take it SA is still part of the Commonwealth.

Perhaps. I will look into this as for some reason I have not even thought of ordering from the UK. But I still need to learn the procedure on both sides.

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

UK has some of the worst prices in Europe (probably globally  bar Australia) Even with our currency tanking.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

23 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

UK has some of the worst prices in Europe (probably globally  bar Australia) Even with our currency tanking.

Does it? Hmm.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Does it? Hmm.

I did check some things such as exchange rate and relative prices and it's not as good as buying from uncle Sam.

In fact it's very close to as bad as SA.