Need GPU Advice.

Divu Kels

The decision is between a RX 470 4gb & SSD for my games or either the RX 480 or GTX 1060... The other part of it is, if I went the Radeon way of things 4gb or 8gb... and if I went the GTX way 3gb or 6gb... on a budget of about between $200 to $300. 

If you are buying this just for gaming go with a gtx 1060 but overall RX470 + ssd is a better deal.

9 minutes ago, Divu Kels said:

The decision is between

What games do you regularly play? Not all games benefit from an SSD, and some work better on AMD or NVIDIA.

I'd personally go with a 470/SSD and OC the 470.

A 470 is only 2-3 FPS behind a RX 480 and when OCd compares to a R9 390, plus the SSD will significantly improve boot times and loading times.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Considering haw amazing am SSD is, buy that.

See if you can find a 1060 3GB for about the same as an RX 470. The mainstream market is being very competitive right now, which is great for us consumers.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Honestly I would get the RX 480 8GB will max out every game at 1080p and AMD drivers age very well just look at the 7000 series still going strong in games on YouTube. Also AMD seems to have nailed down DX 12 and vulkan better then Nvidia at this point but if you plan on playing older games get the 1060 it's better still in dx11 and older.

3 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

What games do you regularly play? Not all games benefit from an SSD, and some work better on AMD or NVIDIA.

Witcher 3, SWTOR, ESO, I do own the new Hitman as well... I play a mix of MMO & Single player games... At some point I plan to get Deus Ex mankind devided as well.

Just now, Divu Kels said:

Witcher 3, SWTOR, ESO, I do own the new Hitman as well... I play a mix of MMO & Single player games... At some point I plan to get Deus Ex mankind devided as well.

So definitely a 480 then 8gb.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Considering haw amazing am SSD is, buy that.

See if you can find a 1060 3GB for about the same as an RX 470. The mainstream market is being very competitive right now, which is great for us consumers.

I found a GTX 1060 3gb EVGA for 175$ on Jet.com with extra savings the site is owned by Walmart.

Just now, Divu Kels said:

I found a GTX 1060 3gb EVGA for 175$ on Jet.com with extra savings the site is owned by Walmart.

1 minute ago, Divu Kels said:

Considering the new games you're looking at, both Hitman and Deus Ex favor AMD GPUs, however at $175 a 1060 3GB is still the best value. Take that + SSD.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Divu Kels said:

That card won't last long as you would like with only 3GB VRAM newer titles especially will chew that up that card will look dated in 2 years unless you only plan on playing your listed games.