CSE Club (Computer Science and Engineering)

Nohemi
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

If you're messing with a bunch of nuggets who never had programming experience before, you should really teach them the concepts of how computers work first, then work on the fundamentals of what every programming language must do.

I find it kind of counterproductive to teach people a programming language without teaching the underlying meaning of what's going on. It's like in English, there's a difference when you have a reading assignment to regurgitate what's in the book rather than discuss the underlying themes and all that.

Hi

A while ago I posted a thread about making a computer science and engineering club. I followed through with that idea and now I am conflicted. I don't know what I should teach them. I know that I will teach the club how to program in various languages and how to build a computer, but what then? What activities should we do? Should I do a fundraiser with donuts to raise money for computer parts so the club can actually build a computer? Also most of the people in the club are beginners.

Please ask me any further questions if I wasn't clear. 

Thanks

Data structures and algorithms would be the first thing I would teach to a beginner who knows how to code in C/C++. Followed by knowledge on Operating Systems, Data structures and when they are confident with these topics and get a hang of how things are working, get to mathematically challenging ones like AI, Data analysis and machine learning.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

Club? What you're describing sounds more like a class/lecture...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Club? What you're describing sounds more like a class/lecture...

Yeah, I guess so. I want to teach them fun stuff though. I don't want to scare them off. Also, they don't teach any sort of CS or CE classes at my High School, so I thought it would be cool to teach them some things. What club activities would you recommend?

8 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Data structures and algorithms would be the first thing I would teach to a beginner who knows how to code in C/C++. Followed by knowledge on Operating Systems, Data structures and when they are confident with these topics and get a hang of how things are working, get to mathematically challenging ones like AI, Data analysis and machine learning.

BTW what languages do you think are absolutely mandatory for them to learn (C#, C++, C, or java)?

One object oriented language(C++) and one scripting language(python) is all you need. If you master these, you can learn others in less than a week on need basis.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

9 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

One object oriented language(C++) and one scripting language(python) is all you need. If you master these, you can learn others in less than a week on need basis.

are C# and java object oriented or scripting languages?

Considering this is a club and not a class, get some Raspberry Pis, or Arduinos and program them to do stuff.

Have fun, I wouldn't suggest that you turn this into a programming class as people might get bored, hands on work a lot better then listening to someons drone on.

19 minutes ago, Nohemi said:

are C# and java object oriented or scripting languages?

Those are both object orientated.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

If you're messing with a bunch of nuggets who never had programming experience before, you should really teach them the concepts of how computers work first, then work on the fundamentals of what every programming language must do.

I find it kind of counterproductive to teach people a programming language without teaching the underlying meaning of what's going on. It's like in English, there's a difference when you have a reading assignment to regurgitate what's in the book rather than discuss the underlying themes and all that.

21 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Java is pure evil.

?  It is a good beginner programming language, and is pretty similar to C. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Honestly the same happened with me, i started a science club , but every one is quite younger than me , and tbh dont know much, but try as much as possible to keep things fun while making them learn , like for example ,  I did a Chemistry project to help them measure liquids ( boring topic)  but they needed to measure out two liquids , and mix them . I used Glow Stick Chemicals and i told them only if its precise it will glow, it was fun and in otherwise they learnt , so idk if that helps , but its what i used to help me , 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Just now, Tamesh16 said:

Honestly the same happened with me, i started a science club , but every one is quite younger than me , and tbh dont know much, but try as much as possible to keep things fun while making them learn , like for example ,  I did a Chemistry project to help them measure liquids ( boring topic)  but they needed to measure out two liquids , and mix them . I used Glow Stick Chemicals and i told them only if its precise it will glow, it was fun and in otherwise they learnt , so idk if that helps , but its what i used to help me , 

Hello.

I would request you change you rprofile picture to avoid confusion. Ive had this for 2 years and had it made for me.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."