Asus gaming monitor crack or pop sounds.

edhusky
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
8 hours ago, edhusky said:

-SNIP-

If it happens for a long time after it's unplugged my guess would be just thermal expansion, it's not uncommon for that to happen but if you find it annoying yo can try contacting Asus to see what they can do. 

Hello

I have a new ASUS gaming monitor every time I power it off and go to bed I hear cracking or popping sounds. Is this normal?

definitely not normal

can you identify where the sounds come from?

Core i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz cooled by a Corsair H100i GTX
EVGA Z170 FTW w/ 16gb GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3333mhz
EVGA GTX980 SC @ 1501mhz
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M w/ EVGA 1000 P2
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 512GB -- OS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB -- games

7 minutes ago, edhusky said:

Hello

I have a new ASUS gaming monitor every time I power it off and go to bed I hear cracking or popping sounds. Is this normal?

What is the monitor's model? that definitely doesn't sound normal, how loud is said crack/pop?

2 minutes ago, edhusky said:

Hello I have a ASUS MG279Q and Samsung sync master sa450. When ever I turn of my monitors and PC at night. Some sort of cracking noises or popping noise start. I have a surge protector still plugged in and everything. I also turn off monitors with PC.

Depends if it's the power supply then I would contact Asus to see what they can do but it's possible due to thermal expansion that the plastic panels are making partial contact and causing that popping or cracking noise.

-Topics Merged- 

8 hours ago, un4givn85 said:

definitely not normal

can you identify where the sounds come from?

The sound is coming from the monitor I described it wrong. It makes the sound like you are trying to move the monitor "plastic bending or braking"

8 hours ago, Coombzy said:

What is the monitor's model? that definitely doesn't sound normal, how loud is said crack/pop?

A brand new few weeks old ASUS MG279Q. The sound depends actually. I used my PC a lot yesterday so at night it was a lot in the morning less since I used PC less.

4 hours ago, W-L said:

Depends if it's the power supply then I would contact Asus to see what they can do but it's possible due to thermal expansion that the plastic panels are making partial contact and causing that popping or cracking noise.

-Topics Merged- 

Al and all I preformed a test by unplugging the monitor from the wall and turning it off completely. Did not feed it any electricity what so ever. The plastic bending or cracking sound or like when you moved the monitor continued. I waited a good 15 min and then it kind off stopped.

I guess its the reason because the monitor "heats up" and the plastic expands. Once you turn off it cools down and goes back to its original form. Whats your opinion? I mean the monitor is brand new out of the box there can't be any defects really can there?

8 hours ago, edhusky said:

-SNIP-

If it happens for a long time after it's unplugged my guess would be just thermal expansion, it's not uncommon for that to happen but if you find it annoying yo can try contacting Asus to see what they can do. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Mine does the same thing. I have PG348Q. Its so annoying sometimes. But i have a smaller Asus monitor and it doesn't do it. Guess it doesn't heat up as much.

• 8 months later...

I have an Acer Predator Z35 and I have exactly the same issue, everytime I go to bed I hear that cracking/popping sound which scary me and wake me up, Also at first I tought same as you (it was thermal expansion). My monitor still has warranty but I live in Dominican Republic and the warranty is not valid in DR. Is there any tips on how to fix it?