Gaming Laptop: as cheap as possible.

There's a theme in my search for a good quality cheap laptop for University.

1. I don't need dedicated graphics because I have a reasonable desktop PC at home.
  2. I need something that wont break the bank (less than 1000, preferably much much lower)
  3. Even though I keep telling myself ChromeOS wont be so bad with the saving of precious, precious money, Ill miss microsoft functionality and yes games.
  4. Assuming a laptop is bad or computer for that matter because it has an AMD processor.

Let me explain point 4 before I offend:
  For a person who is new to delving into performance ratings and weighing value ratios, AMD is a new company to me. I know this is stupid AMD has been around for as long as I can remember and I even had friends that swore by it as their go too. So why is it new to me? This is because I've never had a computer with an AMD CPU/APU or GPU inside. An awareness of a company and knowledge of what their products can do is entirely different. why would i think that AMD being in a computer is bad? because that is what is advertised to consumers, its not explicitly said by Intel when it comes down to it. the issue here is when a company has market share, is the most seen advertised product and becomes synonymous with power or quality you can subconsciously attribute that with it being the best and everything else isn't as good. This has lead me to think a Pentium to be better than an A10 just for an example. But this Isn't true, it surprised me when i realized that i was ignoring an entire companies processors when i was super excited for their new GPU's. So starts the research and I find out that APU processors from AMD arent actually that bad but thats all I've found out this and that weighed against an Intel processor in a benching program they aren't as good. Fair enough, Intel produces the top tier processors. whats important to take form this is that i don't want a top tier processor. I want a cheap, value for money laptop that can also play games. On the Intel side of the street that means Iris graphics, right? or dedicated graphics. so lots of money. On the AMD side there's the entire APU product lines that seem to be so so much cheaper, whilst giving a respectable gaming experience that a similar priced Intel Processor cant give.

I dont know is this information is right. I could be wrong definitely but its interesting that after i started my search I'm still so unsure.

So can anyone give me more information here? whats the difference between AMD and Intel processors when it comes to their gaming capacity? Is here a holy grail laptop offering that houses an AMD that would fill my every need for a low low price. Let me know :)

If this is just for school get one of the new A8s. They are very good in the performance category. My moms laptop has one and it rocks

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

a lenovo think pad e555. there is one with a dedicated video card and 4gb of ram easy upgraded to 8 at about 420$

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I look for two things when recommending a gaming laptop: 4-Cores and SSD Storage. That given, you can tweak settings for games and the premium of an SSD + the comfort of knowing that you'll be able to play any game that requires a Quad Core are worth it. The GTX 960M on top will game just fine in 1080p.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KrrcCJ/dell-laptop-i7559763blk

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

here's the laptop I just bought slapped my older ssd in it and shes still running like a champ I was playing not fallout it was a different game the 2nd one but the third isn't out yet its got the a10-9600p battery life sucks but its cheap and works for gaming 4 cores cpu i was just in the same boat i use it for my computer science degree and I got an open box which was only about 300 the apu is the newest one that came out before zen apus arrive next year http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-a10-series-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-linear-texture-gradient-grooves/5252100.p?id=bb5252100&skuId=5252100

I'd recommend the Dell Inspiron 15 7559 which starts at $800. Comes with an i5 quad core, 8GB of RAM, a GTX 960M, and a 1080p IPS screen standard. Has a tendency to go on sale, I managed to snag the i7 version for $700. It has a SATA based M.2 slot so you can add in an SSD later.

17 minutes ago, J4NDR3W said:

I don't need dedicated graphics because I have a reasonable desktop PC at home.

Any respectable gaming laptop is going to have a dedicated gpu. Apus are good for lighter games, but anything more and they don't do too well. Currently with the new bristol ridge apus the gpu is about on par with a r7 250, which can play 1080p low setting for most games. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

15 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Any respectable gaming laptop is going to have a dedicated gpu. Apus are good for lighter games, but anything more and they don't do too well. Currently with the new bristol ridge apus the gpu is about on par with a r7 250, which can play 1080p low setting for most games. 

Yea I really like my laptop I haven't really pushed it too hard yet but its also only a fraction of the price idk just best for my situation I guess

I'm looking at a laptop that gives me the most for my money, a dedicated graphics card is an unnecessary expense to me. all i would play on it would be indie games MOBA's and MMO's so it wouldnt be anything intensive

2 hours ago, J4NDR3W said:

I'm looking at a laptop that gives me the most for my money, a dedicated graphics card is an unnecessary expense to me. all i would play on it would be indie games MOBA's and MMO's so it wouldnt be anything intensive

MMOs run like shit on iGPUs. You NEED a dGPU for them. Just get a Lenovo Y700 or Asus G552VW. Best options in your price range

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 hour ago, nvughty said:

You might as well watch this video:

I suggest (chromebook wise):

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-CB3-131-C3SZ-11-6-Inch-Dual-Core/dp/B019G7VPTC

Stop spreading wrong information already. That video is not remotely correct and is the reason people act in an elitist way. If you listen carefully, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

7 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Stop spreading wrong information already. That video is not remotely correct and is the reason people act in an elitist way. If you listen carefully, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

He does.

Why the fuck would you buy a Gaming laptop unless you get it for free?

A game laptop is more then overpriced.

3 minutes ago, nvughty said:

He does.

Why the fuck would you buy a Gaming laptop unless you get it for free?

A game laptop is more then overpriced.

That guy has no idea how even read the specs. From what he is saying, he has never even heard of Hybrid drives, not to mention that he has never used a laptop extensively. His opinion is worthless

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

That guy has no idea how even read the specs. From what he is saying, he has never even heard of Hybrid drives, not to mention that he has never used a laptop extensively. His opinion is worthless

I see you are a defender off game laptops.

Tell me, how is it convient to game on a small-ass keyboard and (mostly) small screen.

It's annoying and building a PC is wayy better.

4 minutes ago, nvughty said:

I see you are a defender off game laptops.

Tell me, how is it convient to game on a small-ass keyboard and (mostly) small screen.

It's annoying and building a PC is wayy better.

Keyboards are the same size, sure you can get keyboards that are wider on a desktop, but you can also get some that are slimmer... so BS

Did you ever in your life even think that there are people who cannot use a desktop, because they need to be on the go? You are insanely narrow minded if you didn't think about that.

Also some people need a powerful laptop for work or class's, but by your logic those people should just sit around and wait until they get home to do their homework/ work and waste the time they had in the class. Guess what laptops that has a powerfull CPU for a fair price, that would be gaming laptops. 

Also when you build a desktop you also need a screen, a keyboard, a mouse and most likely some kind of speakers, sure all of that can be better on a desktop, but you have to add all of that ontop of the price of a desktop, you get all of those things in a laptop

Before you come at me with this BS that I am only a laptop user and I know jack shit. Just sshhh and think.

I work with fixing laptops and building desktops, I have a i7 4770k desktop soon x99 or zen, I most likely know way more than Linus.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Keyboards are the same size, sure you can get keyboards that are wider on a desktop, but you can also get some that are slimmer... so BS

Did you ever in your life even think that there are people who cannot use a desktop, because they need to be on the go? You are insanely narrow minded if you didn't think about that.

Also some people need a powerful laptop for work or class's, but by your logic those people should just sit around and wait until they get home to do their homework/ work and waste the time they had in the class. Guess what laptops that has a powerfull CPU for a fair price, that would be gaming laptops. 

Also when you build a desktop you also need a screen, a keyboard, a mouse and most likely some kind of speakers, sure all of that can be better on a desktop, but you have to add all of that ontop of the price of a desktop, you get all of those things in a laptop

Before you come at me with this BS that I am only a laptop user and I know jack shit. Just sshhh and think.

I work with fixing laptops and building desktops, I have a i7 4770k desktop soon x99 or zen, I most likely know way more than Linus.

Yes, but fi you need a laptop "on the go" why don't buy a smaller sized / less powerful.

I can agree, but there are still way cheaper plans which will acutally do the same job. School-wise)

I can't lie, that's true BUT for gaming you will (most likely) need a mouse and a set of speakers.

Just now, nvughty said:

Yes, but fi you need a laptop "on the go" why don't buy a smaller sized / less powerful.

I can agree, but there are still way cheaper plans which will acutally do the same job. School-wise)

Depends a lot on what kind of work you do. You can always cheap out, but you then also always end up with cheap shit that is build like shit and just feels like shit when you use it. Cheap people often end up with cheap things (low quality things)

Some people need a lot of power on the go, I often need my desktop when I am doing my things, because I need that power for some of my school work.

Every person is different and every person has different needs for a laptop. Sure for note taking get a used ThinkPad you will be insanely happy for the keyboard.

Also a desktop uses more space and not everyone has the room for it. Some people also like to play a little in the breaks. People who often go to lans, would also like a laptop that is good. Also OP here has a desktop, but he would like something he still can game a bit on when it comes to his laptop.

5 minutes ago, nvughty said:

I can't lie, that's true BUT for gaming you will (most likely) need a mouse and a set of speakers.

Sure you need a mouse on a laptop if you game, but if you don't then the trackpad is just fine and some laptops have pretty decent speakers, like the Y700, so that is not a must.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

41 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Depends a lot on what kind of work you do. You can always cheap out, but you then also always end up with cheap shit that is build like shit and just feels like shit when you use it. Cheap people often end up with cheap things (low quality things)

Some people need a lot of power on the go, I often need my desktop when I am doing my things, because I need that power for some of my school work.

Every person is different and every person has different needs for a laptop. Sure for note taking get a used ThinkPad you will be insanely happy for the keyboard.

Also a desktop uses more space and not everyone has the room for it. Some people also like to play a little in the breaks. People who often go to lans, would also like a laptop that is good. Also OP here has a desktop, but he would like something he still can game a bit on when it comes to his laptop.

Sure you need a mouse on a laptop if you game, but if you don't then the trackpad is just fine and some laptops have pretty decent speakers, like the Y700, so that is not a must.

If you go to college/university (however u americans call it) you either sleep there or go home, in both scenarios you can charge your laptop. I've had mulitple laptops for +/- $400 which do the job for me, if you need extra power simply take a powerbank / extra battery with you.

10 minutes ago, nvughty said:

If you go to college/university (however u americans call it) you either sleep there or go home, in both scenarios you can charge your laptop. I've had mulitple laptops for +/- $400 which do the job for me, if you need extra power simply take a powerbank / extra battery with you.

He means processing power, not battery life. Not to mention most laptop OEMs don't release power banks and almost no sub-1000$ machine even works with their power banks.

19 minutes ago, nvughty said:

I don't mean power as battery, I mean it as GPU power or CPU power. Also cant you see that I am from Denmark?

Also just think about how much time you can save in class's if you have things that need power. I have a class were I sometimes need to do 3D models, my laptops only works for me because of the quadro.

A question :-  Is it worth it to buy an i3 gaming laptop ? 

4 minutes ago, Obito Kakkoi-Kun said:

A question :-  Is it worth it to buy an i3 gaming laptop ? 

No such thing exists