Planned Upgrades (I have compatabilty conserns)

First off here my rig as it currently is:
CPU: i5 - 4670K 3.40GHZ (Overclocked to 4.2GHZ)
Ram: 16GB Cosiar Vegeneance
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SC
PSU: Cosair CX750
Sound card: onboard + X-Fi soundblaster exteme
Motherboard: Asus Z-87-K
Boot drive: 500GB SDD - 850EVO
Second drive: 3TB 7200rpm
Third drive: 2TB 7200rpm
*-Adding a 1TB fast storage SSD as I had a old 256GB SSD I was using that died and I planned to increase to 500GB or 1TB anyway-
Optical drive 1: Pioneer - Blu-Ray DVD/RW+
Optical drive 2: Samsung super writemaster - DVD/RW+
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

'Yes in a way I'm basically overhauling my once(or twice ;p) upgraded system' [If you're interested I'll post the specs of the machine when I originally bought it] it cost around £1200 as pre-built but customised system from scan about a year or 2 ago. I think 1 year and a half to be precise.

My planned upgrades:http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/v8H9cc

On pc part picker under 'Compatibility Notes' it says "-(?) Some Intel Z87 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs."
So before I go ahead and buy does the bios need updating for this CPU? http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

This is very important as, if the bios needs updating to use this processor and I bought the motherboard and cpu I'd have to try to borrow(or buy) a cpu to work with it to update the bios to use the Motherboard CPU combo.
I guess an easier alternative might be picking a different mobo But I'm not quite sure, I don't quite know what to pick, especially that meets my needs. Also Hopefully choosing a different Motherboard that work wont give me and unwanted price hike.

Ok... first of would you want to stick with your processor?

If not you should buy a new motherboard allowing skylake cpu as the INtel core i5-6600k IS way better than the i7-4820k... and its cheaper

Your pcpartpicker link shows an x79 motherboard and cpu.

Just now, lee32uk said:

Your pcpartpicker link shows an x79 motherboard and cpu.

Yeah sorry I didn't Update/Save my pc part picker list properly fixed the link now, thanks.

Just now, gamingbuildenthusiast4651 said:

Yeah sorry I didn't Update/Save my pc part picker list properly fixed the link now, thanks.

Right ok. Anyhow you can update the bios on your current Asus Z87-K to whatever the latest version is, and then stick the i7 4790K in there.

First check your mobo's official website to see if there are any BIOS/UEFI updates available or not. Check the BIOS update notes to see if it supports the new CPU or not. (it is possible that your current BIOS/UEFI already supports the CPU, but that depends on the BIOS/UEFI version and when it was developed)

Installing the latest BIOS/UEFI will guarantee that the new CPU is supported (if the mobo is compatible with it, of course), but updating BIOS/UEFI can brick your system, so BIOS/UEFI updating is done at your own risk...

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Right ok. Anyhow you can update the bios on your current Asus Z87-K to whatever the latest version is, and then stick the i7 4790K in there.

I know my current mobo is compatible but it's 'old' now and I had plans to recycle it into a build for a friend using my current cpu. 

1 minute ago, gamingbuildenthusiast4651 said:

I know my current mobo is compatible but it's 'old' now and I had plans to recycle it into a build for a friend using my current cpu. 

In that case buy a Z97 board as they support the i7 4790K out of the box (Or buy Skylake)

7 minutes ago, Murtaz said:

If not you should buy a new motherboard allowing skylake cpu as the INtel core i5-6600k IS way better than the i7-4820k... and its cheaper

I don't want skylake or DRR4 ram, not yet anyway.

In that case buy a Z97 board as they support the i7 4790K out of the box.

Any recommendations?

Just now, gamingbuildenthusiast4651 said:

I don't want skylake or DRR4 ram, not yet anyway.

If you are buying a new board and cpu why not ? The price is more or less the same.

The are some caveats to Skylake I'd rather avoid and DDR4 for ram is more expensive. If and when I get a build with DDR4 Ram It will be 32GB-64GB at 2400mhz-3200mhz+ (I'm not sure how high it goes) That sort of money for 32GB of DDR4 at 2400mhz or higher I'd rather not pay for yet.

What are you doing that needs that much ram ?

What are you doing that needs that much ram ?

I have no idea but sometimes even at idle I can use 30% of my 16GB of Ram so 32GB is a worthy upgrade. (Ram usage is around 20% atm https://gyazo.com/9d0e24ce3d73287d87f8a5ea3f42560b) But all jokes aside other than gaming and multitasking I shall definitely benefit when Video editing/Rendering, VFX work and Photo Editing.

You can only go with a max of 32GB Ram on Z97

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£317.35 @ More Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£28.50 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£101.02 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£119.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £566.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 23:59 BST+0100

Skylake with the same amount of Ram:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£293.88 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£28.50 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£102.79 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£142.76 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £567.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-08 00:01 BST+0100

X99 would be a better option if you are doing lots of video editing/rendering, but it will be more expensive. I guess it depends on your budget.

4 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You can only go with a max of 32GB Ram on Z97

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£317.35 @ More Computers) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£101.02 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£119.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £566.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 23:59 BST+0100

I need a Motherboard with at least 6 sata connections for drives.
I chose a AIO Liquid cooler for CPU so that is preferable.
Otherwise great job. :)

Also you recommend getting a new full set of 32GB rather than add another 16GB kit to my current? Well okay then. I guess I'll recycle my current 16GB.

I made a new revised list based on your suggestions.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QwfrvV
Any thoughts?

It's a little foreboding for me choosing  a Gigabyte motherboard as I had a bad experience a while back when CSGO was in beta and I was on the AMD platform.
It kept crashing and blue screening every time I tried to play the game after 2-3 Day or trying and troubleshooting the computer gave up the ghost and would not boot again, it even stopped posting. To this day it remains dead and drive-less in my shed.