Stress testing your cpu?

fc0712

Which program should i use to stress test my cpu after i have over clocked it and how long should it run?

What CPU do you have?

Haswell- Aida64 (*Prime95 can damage Haswell chips)

Everything else- Aida64/Prime95

*Edited

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

just tell it that it has final exams tomorrow

that will stress it out

:P

download prime 95 and leave it for 4 hours

some people leave it for 24 hours

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

just tell it that it has final exams tomorrow

that will stress it out

:P

download prime 95 and leave it for 4 hours

some people leave it for 24 hours

72 hours, just to be sure.

72 hours, just to be sure.

72 ... serious ?

how about a whole week lol

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I use prime 95 and Intel burn test. I don't leave intel burn test on when I'm not at the computer though..

Since I've heard a fair bit about Prime95 damaging Haswell chips, has anyone seen/heard of the damage from a reputable source? Sorry if it seems as though I'm doubtful, but it seems really odd.

Not to mention I had ran Prime on my i5-4670k for a fair bit too o_o

i have an 3570k

Then Prime95 is probably the best to use :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Stop bloody recommending Prime 95! :V

LinX and Intel Burn Test is all you need.

So do you guys recommend Linx, prime95 or Intel burn test and Btw is Intel burn test not only made to run for a short amount of time?

72 ... serious ?

how about a whole week lol

Did that once, but mainly, if they don't fail after 72 hours, they won't fail after a week. The 72 hours is to work the thermal past in.

I would recommend getting AIDA64 and running it for around 8 hours to check for stability or P95 on custom by selecting blend then custom and inputting most of your ram and testing that for at least 12 hours.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i have an 3570k

AIDA64 & Intel Burn Test. Stay away from Prime95.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

AIDA64 & Intel Burn Test. Stay away from Prime95.

How long i should i run Aida 64 and how long should i run Intel Burn Test

And is AIDA 64 worth the 40$?

How long i should i run Aida 64 and how long should i run Intel Burn Test

And is AIDA 64 worth the 40$?

Any stress test for overclocking should be ran for at least 8hrs and 36hrs for the most IMO. On Ivy Bridge, AIDA64 is probably the more accurate overclocking and real time monitoring utility at present. If you do system builds and overclocks for people then yes it is worth the $40 but if you are just build your system and that is all you are doing then i would say not really but if you plan on overclocking period you need a utility to help you get to a stable overclock so it maybe, depends on how you look at things.

That being said i have AIDA64 installed on my system all the time so i can monitor my system in conjunction with CoreTemp and AISuiteII. I never paid for AIDA64 i was given a serial that supports updates. 

Take the fan off, it will stress it out as well. :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Run Intel Burn tests 2-3 times, then leave Aida64 running overnight. Honestly, anything past 8-12 hours is pointless, if it's going to error out, it will within 8 hours.  Also stressing a CPU like that for long periods of time isn't smart.  Even folding doesn't stress an entire chip like synthetics do.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Did that once, but mainly, if they don't fail after 72 hours, they won't fail after a week. The 72 hours is to work the thermal past in.

Any stress test for overclocking should be ran for at least 8hrs and 36hrs for the most IMO. On Ivy Bridge, AIDA64 is probably the more accurate overclocking and real time monitoring utility at present. If you do system builds and overclocks for people then yes it is worth the $40 but if you are just build your system and that is all you are doing then i would say not really but if you plan on overclocking period you need a utility to help you get to a stable overclock so it maybe, depends on how you look at things.

That being said i have AIDA64 installed on my system all the time so i can monitor my system in conjunction with CoreTemp and AISuiteII. I never paid for AIDA64 i was given a serial that supports updates. 

If you're going to have stability issues, voltage spikes, heat issues or a bad chip, it won't take more than 8 hours to find out.  As for getting the thermal paste worked in, it really does not take that long at all.  Out of the hundreds and hundreds of PC's I've built, I think the longest I've tested even OC's were 12 hours.  I hate to give credit to someone here, but it's like @Ghost who says it's NOT correct to leak test a PC for 24 hours as you can burn things up that way.  Stressing your CPU for long periods of times in ways that synthetics do is a BAD idea.  Not even folding stresses it to those levels.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

is the aida64 trial good enough to stress test with?

I use Intel Burn Test and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

is the aida64 trial good enough to stress test with?

I suspect it would be as the trial allows you to use the program fro 30 days and after the 30 days are up you can't use it or it will keep asking you to purchase or something to that effect. If you are not willing to spend the $40 for AIDA64 you could use what @Thunderjolt uses. Just stay away from Prime95 and OCCT.