I met a google employee! (but probably not)

cleb

Click bait anyone? No but I thought this was an interesting story and wanted to share. 

I work at a computer store and the other day a guy came in and since my manager was on a smoke break she told me to go see what he wanted ect

Well the first thing he does is introduce himself ( I can't remember his name maybe Kyle or something like that ) He was black and wearing a light blue 3 button shirt with matching blue and white stripped shorts and hipster glasses. Needless to say he had "Tech startup casual" written all over him. He proceeded to explain how when google couldn't verify a location and they are worried the satellite image is glitched they will send someone to verify the information and confirm it. I found this hard to believe both in story and I don't exactly live in a city I would think worth it to Google, but who knows maybe they really like dotting their I's. He did something on his phone, said thanks for being so cool about this and left. I told my boss and she said he was probably full of shit and just using our wi-fi. I figured she was probably right. The Erie thing though is that for the past few weeks we would get calls from google  (maybe once or twice a week) after making a verification request and kept hanging up on the machine since we were planning to move business soon after an issue with the landlord. After that the calls stopped. 

So tell what you guys think. Was he bogus? Am I an idiot and have the wrong idea of everything? Was it a coincidence? Does google even doing anything remotely like that? Has anyone heard a story like this before? 

So you guys have a guest network/unprotected Wifi connection? Because otherwise, that guy wouldn't be able to "use your wifi".

It could be true, especially if you were getting apparently getting calls from "google" but just hanging up on it all the time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So you guys have a guest network/unprotected Wifi connection? Because otherwise, that guy wouldn't be able to "use your wifi".

It could be true, especially if you were getting apparently getting calls from "google" but just hanging up on it all the time.

Yes we have a guest wi-fi. But making that point made me remember that we have a password that isn't posted anywhere and you have to ask for. So maybe it was real?

I guess they might send someone down to check if you kept hanging up on Google's phone calls. Google has over 7,000 people working on google maps alone: Street view drivers, people drawing maps, people correcting listings, and people building new products.

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

My brother works for Google :)

Oh that's cool. What does he do? 

Just now, cleb said:

Oh that's cool. What does he do? 

He fixes the stuff that the other dudes break. Basically the IT for the IT.

12 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

He fixes the stuff that the other dudes break. Basically the IT for the IT.

What a world

They don't do that.

I have seen many markings on google maps that are way off. And not just small companies.

I think a user has to place mark the way mark, and give it a name and description. Why else would a house have some one man company name waymarked on it.

So Google actually do this. But not exactly how you say.

Google send people out to locations to give better info on maps. I work for a big retailer in the UK. We were told someone from Google would be coming to update our Maps info.

Basically, a guy came, spent 15-20 minutes in the shop, walking around with a custom google made app open, which I guess was recording all the WiFi/GPS data. He was walking around on the shop floor tho, ie indoors. After that he spent 10mins or so pacing back and forth outside the very front of the shop, again with the app open. Then he said goodbye and left.  

On 9/6/2016 at 3:06 AM, richardmajor86 said:

So Google actually do this. But not exactly how you say.

Google send people out to locations to give better info on maps. I work for a big retailer in the UK. We were told someone from Google would be coming to update our Maps info.

Basically, a guy came, spent 15-20 minutes in the shop, walking around with a custom google made app open, which I guess was recording all the WiFi/GPS data. He was walking around on the shop floor tho, ie indoors. After that he spent 10mins or so pacing back and forth outside the very front of the shop, again with the app open. Then he said goodbye and left.  

He said he had a special app as well. He could just know about this and wanted to play a trick but I can't figure his motivation.