CD / DVD 5 inch drive bay pop-up display?

Hey guys, so I'm trying to find an auxiliary VGA display that can fit inside the 5 inch drive bay (or even 2 bays, I have extras) for my home-server. This will be used mainly for a quick peek at server stats or whatever its doing (the server is mostly accessed remotely 90% of the time).

Something like this would be amazing (http://www.logitec.co.jp/products/monitor/lcmt042a.html), this is written in Japanese and I cannot read it or find a similar product on Amazon or so, I would love if if its black. I figured I'd ask in the display forum first before I ask in the peripheral forum.

Do you guys know of any product I can purchase like this? (or a link to buy this exact unit in black?) Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you.

There's not going to be anything quite like that nowadays i don't think.

Also since that's from the very early 2000s the only colour it came in was white by the looks of things. 

If you have a time machine handy you could get this one that was sold in 2012 thumb.gifhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Computer-5-25-Drive-Bay-LCD-Monitor-RARE-/270921787255?nma=true&si=GLrjylu%2BNG54NH80jRAZmjUdixk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

26 minutes ago, Darkangel86 said:

Hey guys, so I'm trying to find an auxiliary VGA display that can fit inside the 5 inch drive bay (or even 2 bays, I have extras) for my home-server. This will be used mainly for a quick peek at server stats or whatever its doing (the server is mostly accessed remotely 90% of the time).

Something like this would be amazing (http://www.logitec.co.jp/products/monitor/lcmt042a.html), this is written in Japanese and I cannot read it or find a similar product on Amazon or so, I would love if if its black. I figured I'd ask in the display forum first before I ask in the peripheral forum.

Do you guys know of any product I can purchase like this? (or a link to buy this exact unit in black?) Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you.

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Also since that's from the very early 2000s the only colour it came in was white by the looks of things. 

If you have a time machine handy you could get this one that was sold in 2012 thumb.gifhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Computer-5-25-Drive-Bay-LCD-Monitor-RARE-/270921787255?nma=true&si=GLrjylu%2BNG54NH80jRAZmjUdixk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

I also found this on Amazon Japan ... also no longer avalible https://www.amazon.co.jp/Logitec-ロジテック-内蔵型4型アナログ液晶モニタ-LCM-T042A/dp/B00017LV5A

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Aw, yeah I tried hard to look for something similar ... Didn't ThermalTake make a monitor like that at some point?

Just now, Darkangel86 said:

It won't let me buy it in the U.S. :(

Yeah sorry. I edited my post a second later. it's no longer available and may not have shipped to the US to begin with, logitech made the thing ages ago.

4 minutes ago, Zagna said:

There was the Thermaltake 7-Inch Touch Screen LCD Monitor. But it's about 8 years old and discontinued.

You could maybe mod Lilliput 569GL-50NP/HO/Y into ~3 bays.... the 5.25 bay according to some quick googling is 145-150mm and that unit is 151mm wide... maybe? Or rig a system that extends and swivels it out from 1-2 bays.

Yeah that Thermal Take one is nice! But as you said, it's discontinued. Yes I have 3 bays available. I am trying to avoid mods, just looking for a quick product to buy and "slip-in" if you will.

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

Yeah sorry. I edited my post a second later. it's no longer available and may not have shipped to the US to begin with, logitech made the thing ages ago.

No worries, perhaps I'm looking for a unicorn! I just don't want an external monitor connected to the server and I figured to utilize the empty bay space.

No worries, perhaps I'm looking for a unicorn! I just don't want an external monitor connected to the server and I figured to utilize the empty bay space.

Maybe a really small tv, if you can find one with vga?

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

Maybe a really small tv, if you can find one with vga?

That would be interesting. Yeah I've been also searching for just normal LCD monitors that are like 5 inches or so that would possibly mount on 2 drive bays or so.

That would be interesting. Yeah I've been also searching for just normal LCD monitors that are like 5 inches or so that would possibly mount on 2 drive bays or so.

Well I found this thing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185013

There's a funky looking shop Tamayatech.com which claims it has the Thermaltake monitor A2413 in their listing....

Whether they actually do have it in stock is a mystery. $ 469.14 pricey though.

Hmm! That's actually pretty cool, I only have VGA internally on the server board though, so I'm not sure how this would work. I think I would need VGA for IPMI remote server management to work properly.

I've got no idea, supposed to be plug and play via usb...but I don't do server setups enough. Almost all the small screens are hdmi that I found.

2 minutes ago, Zagna said:

There's a funky looking shop Tamayatech.com which claims it has the Thermaltake monitor A2413 in their listing....

Whether they actually do have it in stock is a mystery. $ 469.14 pricey though.

Oh damn that price is crazy talk! I also don't trust that site at all though!

2 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

I've got no idea, supposed to be plug and play via usb...but I don't do server setups enough. Almost all the small screens are hdmi that I found.

Yeah it would work, but it would be a "second monitor". Remote IPMI and iKVM lets you mirror the server's VGA output into a web-portal and you can control the server remotely (update BIOS / reboot it / etc.). If I hook up a second screen through USB, I wouldn't be able to use it / see it remotely. It's best to stick with the built-in VGA.

HDMI would work I presume, I could get an HDMI to VGA converter? I think they exist!

2 minutes ago, Darkangel86 said:

Yeah it would work, but it would be a "second monitor". Remote IPMI and iKVM lets you mirror the server's VGA output into a web-portal and you can control the server remotely (update BIOS / reboot it / etc.). If I hook up a second screen through USB, I wouldn't be able to use it / see it remotely. It's best to stick with the built-in VGA.

HDMI would work I presume, I could get an HDMI to VGA converter? I think they exist!

Yeah you need a vga-hdmi active adapter. here's one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Adapter-Micro-USB/dp/B007SM7O2U

Edit: I don't know if it works both ways though...

I like that it swivels. Yeah it would require a mod for sure!

Edited with another one vga back up monitors are a thing and on the small side I just had to remember them.

1 minute ago, Darkangel86 said:

I would have to measure the server later tonight but I do think this would be too big.

How do we feel about a bigger server? lol

3 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

Edited with another one vga back up monitors are a thing and on the small side I just had to remember them.

How do we feel about a bigger server? lol

Haha :D bigger server would be pretty nice!

The 7 inch one you added looks interesting! I'll measure tonight and see what would fit.

Hmm no luck with this yet. The screens posted so far seem too big to fit into the case. I might end up just buying a small VGA monitor and put it over the server and call it a day. Or something that could latch on to the case nicely.

I actually even contacted the manufacturer of that Japanese slide out screen posted above, they said they no longer make it, oh well!