H100 temperature question

So I have a H100 and get around 35-40C when idle and the outside temperature is around 23C.

I have two NF-F12 in pull config with the speed setting on the block at max (3/3). 

I haven't ever replaced the thermal compound on the block since it was installed which would be around late 2012 when I first built it.

I also get idle temperatures on my MSI 7950 of 47C and could also replace that thermal compound while i'm at it.

Do you think it would be worth it to replace the compound on my CPU block and my GPU? 

CPU: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz with Corsair H100 RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4) SSD: Samsung 840 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Strix GTX 1080 

PSU: OCZ 650W CASE: Fractal Define R5

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MelchiorVester/saved/#view=RKNXsY

Idle temperatures don't really matter, it's load temps that do.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What would be best to test my load temps besides prime95 since I heard its bad for some processors?

CPU: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz with Corsair H100 RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4) SSD: Samsung 840 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Strix GTX 1080 

aida64 is good, and intel's exterme tuning utility is good too.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

26 minutes ago, melchiorvester said:

What would be best to test my load temps besides prime95 since I heard its bad for some processors?

Intel XTU, aida64, cinebench

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

19 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

aida64 is good, and intel's exterme tuning utility is good too.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Intel XTU, aida64, cinebench

I'm doing a stress test with aida64 right now

7 minutes ago, melchiorvester said:

I'm doing a stress test with aida64 right now

Run it with CPU, FPU, and Cache checked.  Leave memory and everything else unchecked.

Stay away from FPU only unless your are trying to get the CPU hot on purpose.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Run it with CPU, FPU, and Cache checked.  Leave memory and everything else unchecked.

Stay away from FPU only unless your are trying to get the CPU hot on purpose.

I already have only those checked when I first started the stress test. I'm going to let it go for 20mins

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

So this is what I ended up with.

9 minutes ago, melchiorvester said:

test before.png

test before.png

Images are broken, use a link instead please.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, melchiorvester said:

test before.png

test before.png

Once you've loaded the pictures into the browser, you need to drag them up into the dialogue box until you can see that they are visible.  Then post.

There's a glitch going on within the LTT forum right now, but this temporary fix should tie you over.

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Once you've loaded the pictures into the browser, you need to drag them up into the dialogue box until you can see that they are visible.  Then post.

There's a glitch going on within the LTT forum right now, but this temporary fix should tie you over.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Images are broken, use a link instead please.

http://imgur.com/S9w6Cbk

Try this

1 minute ago, melchiorvester said:

Your temps look fine, but if you changed the thermal paste you would probably see an improvement.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Your temps look fine, but if you changed the thermal paste you would probably see an improvement.

Agree.  Might actually reduce disparity between core temps a bit as well.

@melchiorvester If you are still interested in why your idle temps are a bit high, you may want to investigate your idle voltage and whether or not SpeedStep is working correctly.  

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

@melchiorvester If you are still interested in why your idle temps are a bit high, you may want to investigate your idle voltage and whether or not SpeedStep is working correctly.  

What is speedstep?

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What is speedstep?

6 minutes ago, melchiorvester said:

What is speedstep?

It scales your CPU speed and voltage up and down from idle to full Turbo speed based on the load of your CPU.  

If you go into your Power Options within the Control Panel, make sure that "Balanced" is selected.  If you have it set to "High Performance", the CPU will stay at it's max frequency, even when you don't have a load.  This will in turn cause your "idle temps" to be a bit higher because your technically not idling.

If you set your power options to balanced and it's still not scaling up and down, you need to verify that you have SpeedStep enabled in BIOS.

You can verify your CPU speed in AIDA64 or with CPUz.

If you've overclocked and set your voltage manually to whatever voltage you use, voltage will not move up and down as needed.  If you have manual voltage with SpeedStep enabled, the CPU will continue to scale up and down, but the voltage will stay put.

46 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It scales your CPU speed and voltage up and down from idle to full Turbo speed based on the load of your CPU.  

If you go into your Power Options within the Control Panel, make sure that "Balanced" is selected.  If you have it set to "High Performance", the CPU will stay at it's max frequency, even when you don't have a load.  This will in turn cause your "idle temps" to be a bit higher because your technically not idling.

If you set your power options to balanced and it's still not scaling up and down, you need to verify that you have SpeedStep enabled in BIOS.

You can verify your CPU speed in AIDA64 or with CPUz.

If you've overclocked and set your voltage manually to whatever voltage you use, voltage will not move up and down as needed.  If you have manual voltage with SpeedStep enabled, the CPU will continue to scale up and down, but the voltage will stay put.

Well I set it to "balanced" mode and didn't see any change to my clock speed at all. I have a overclock and see my voltage moving up and down.

I see random jumps from 1.6GHz to 4.1GHz

3 minutes ago, melchiorvester said:

Well I set it to "balanced" mode and didn't see any change to my clock speed at all. I have a overclock and see my voltage moving up and down.

I see random jumps from 1.6GHz to 4.1GHz

You're confusing me.  You say "I see random jumps from 1.6GHz to 4.1GHz" but said that you don't see any clock changing? 

Oh sorry... What I meant to say is that I see a clock change of 1.6 to 4.1 range. When I don't do anything on my computer or light stuff I see the lower end of the numbers

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Sounds like SpeedStep is working fine. 

Right. I still don't see much difference in temperatures with that change and I feel like if my clock speed and voltage is lower then it should result in lower temps? 

11 minutes ago, melchiorvester said:

Right. I still don't see much difference in temperatures with that change and I feel like if my clock speed and voltage is lower then it should result in lower temps? 

Yes, you should. Our setups are completely different, but my CPU idles a within a few degrees of ambient room temp.  Yours is fine, but I agree with @Enderman that some new thermal paste could improve things. 

9 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yes, you should. Our setups are completely different, but my CPU idles a within a few degrees of ambient room temp.  Yours is fine, but I agree with @Enderman that some new thermal paste could improve things. 

Because you have a custom loop with lots of rads right? 

I will try putting on new thermal paste and do another stress test after that. I already have Noctua NT-H1 compound