Only 60 FPS @ 1080p with GTX 1080??????

Survivor368

Right so this was my first build I did, and I've been saving up for a while to build a high-end pc to play current and future games over 60 fps. When I first started playing the Witcher at 1080p, I was getting around 60 fps, which I thought wasn't so bad, So then I installed texture and lighting mods to enhance the game's visual aesthetics, even with these mods installed, the game still ran really smoothly. It wasn't until I did something with console commands that the game started hitching every time I went in or out of menus, or just finishing conversations/cutscenes. So I decided to see of I could fix the problem, so I went online to see if anyone else was getting 60 fps at 1080p on the Witcher, and it turned out that no-one else was, they were getting fps in the hundreds (Yes, I made sure that the in-game fps controller was to unlimited). Same thing happened for GTA V too, people were getting much higher frames than I was, but I have no idea what it could be, so that's why I am writing to you guys to see if you could help me solve this problem. 
PC Components:
CPU- i7-6700k
GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0
MBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170x-Gaming 7
RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
PSU- EVGA 1000W, Semi-Modular PSU, Gold CertifiedIMG_1679[1].JPG

IMG_1682[1].JPG

5 minutes ago, Survivor368 said:

Right so this was my first build I did, and I've been saving up for a while to build a high-end pc to play current and future games over 60 fps. When I first started playing the Witcher at 1080p, I was getting around 60 fps, which I thought wasn't so bad, So then I installed texture and lighting mods to enhance the game's visual aesthetics, even with these mods installed, the game still ran really smoothly. It wasn't until I did something with console commands that the game started hitching every time I went in or out of menus, or just finishing conversations/cutscenes. So I decided to see of I could fix the problem, so I went online to see if anyone else was getting 60 fps at 1080p on the Witcher, and it turned out that no-one else was, they were getting fps in the hundreds (Yes, I made sure that the in-game fps controller was to unlimited). Same thing happened for GTA V too, people were getting much higher frames than I was, but I have no idea what it could be, so that's why I am writing to you guys to see if you could help me solve this problem. 
PC Components:
CPU- i7-6700k
GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0
MBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170x-Gaming 7
RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
PSU- EVGA 1000W, Semi-Modular PSU, Gold CertifiedIMG_1679[1].JPG

IMG_1682[1].JPG

Is vsync on?

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

35 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

Is vsync on?

Noob question, what does V-Sync do?

V-Sync syncs your GPU's framerate with your monitor's refresh rate.

A good older article on it:

https://hardforum.com/threads/how-vsync-works-and-why-people-loathe-it.928593/

Intel i7 2600K / ASUS P8P67 PRO
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1070 O8G Gaming / Dell S2716GB / Samsung S27D39OH
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance PC3 12800 (8GB)
Crucial M4 128GB/PNY Optima 240GB/SanDisk 256GB/WD Black 640GB
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX TG & EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

lol 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

:D

You won't get better performance by disabling V-sync, because your monitor's refresh-rate is 60 hz, which means that it displays a maximum of 60 FPS. A 120 hz monitor would display a maximum FPS of 120.

V-sync tries to lock the FPS rendered to the FPS of your monitor, in order to prevent a screen-tearing effect:

screen tearing.jpg

With your 60 hz monitor, and V-sync disabled, your in-game FPS might show 100+ FPS, but your monitor will still not be displaying more than 60 FPS, so 60 will still be your experienced FPS, only you'll likely have screen-tearing, due to having disabled V-sync.

What you could do, is overclock your monitor's refresh-rate, to something like 65 hz, or maybe 70 hz, so that your maximum FPS will then be 65, or 70, respectively.

You can create a custom version of your monitor's maximum resolution with a custom refresh rate (which is overclocking the monitor) using the Nvidia control panel. Here's a video on how to do that:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Really? Am I the only one who noticed that the power cable is disconnected?

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

Not being funny you may aswell disable v sync ( if its enabled ) then re-enable it as you will get some screen tearing which is horrid. Also just to pick up on something said above. Please tell me you have the power cable plugged into the GPU

If you get at LEAST 100-120 fps, and want less input lag, you might disable VSync, but activate "Fast Sync" in Nvidias driver (only works well, if the fps are much higher than your Display's refresh rate).

No Tearing, full fps, but might feel "faster". Depending on Game engine, Vsync might give you some sort of input lag, since any Input will also be synchronized with the Refresh rate. And inputs might come at least a frame slower.

I personally never had that issue, but there seems to be people who are bothered by this and rather have Tearing (which i can not understand.. tearing is horrible).

So yea. either V-Sync if you're below 80-100 fps, or Fast Sync if you're about 100+ fps.

Oh yea, connection the Power cable might be a good idea.. lol. Normally it should not even work this way.

13 hours ago, alphaproject said:

LOL @ power cable not plugged in.

i am pretty sure the picture was taken during the process of installation of his new GPU lol ... 

the power cable should be plugged in when he is testing with his games. 

To OP:

Turn off V-sync, then you won't be limited at 60FPS, but screen tearing could happen because your monitor only have a 60hz refresh rate

The GTX 1080 can handle 1440P 144hz, get that =P