my pc tells me to close game because of low memory then bluescreens

this message is happening frequently when i am playing games. i have 8GB of hyperx fury DDr4 (2x4) so this should be enough to play games on my pc. every time this happens the game crashes but it doesnt allways bluescreen. attached are two of the messages. i have no clue how to fix this. i t hough it may have been a memory leak but i am really not sure

Spoiler

bluescreen.jpg

Spoiler

low on memory.jpg

Edited by Godlygamer23
Fixed images.

The pictures don't work.

Could be a bad ram stick.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Try running Task Manager as you run the game and keep an eye on RAM usage and Disk.

1 minute ago, TimBoBaggins said:

should i run memtest?

Yes.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, Whosonicus said:

Try running Task Manager as you run the game and keep an eye on RAM usage and Disk.

ok i will do, thanks

Depends on the game mate. If you are playing Arkham Knight or Just Cause 3 memory usage for me hits sometimes near 12gb (I have 16gb of RAM)... So it could be that the game maxing out your memory sticks and they are crashing. Also be sure to play the game for a while (or as long as you can) when watching task manager. Memory usage isn't like CPU usage or GPU usage, it takes a minute for it to start filling up. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

5 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Depends on the game mate. If you are playing Arkham Knight or Just Cause 3 memory usage for me hits sometimes near 12gb (I have 16gb of RAM)... So it could be that the game maxing out your memory sticks and they are crashing. Also be sure to play the game for a while (or as long as you can) when watching task manager. Memory usage isn't like CPU usage or GPU usage, it takes a minute for it to start filling up. 

But using ram at 100% wouldn't cause bluescreens, or crashes.

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

t just happened again and this time i was able to take a picture of all the messages that popped up. it was whilst playing the BF1 beta. my RAM usage never wet above 90%

what happened was the screen went black (audio was still playing) and i couldnt do anything so i pressed alt+enter to minimise the game and these mesages were showing

all errr messages.jpg

24 minutes ago, TimBoBaggins said:

t just happened again and this time i was able to take a picture of all the messages that popped up. it was whilst playing the BF1 beta. my RAM usage never wet above 90%

what happened was the screen went black (audio was still playing) and i couldnt do anything so i pressed alt+enter to minimise the game and these mesages were showing

all errr messages.jpg

The pictures aren't working.

22 hours ago, SLAYR said:

It can if he has a faulty RAM stick... 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

22 hours ago, TimBoBaggins said:

this message is happening frequently when i am playing games. i have 8GB of hyperx fury DDr4 (2x4) so this should be enough to play games on my pc. every time this happens the game crashes but it doesnt allways bluescreen. attached are two of the messages. i have no clue how to fix this. i t hough it may have been a memory leak but i am really not sure

bluescreen.jpg

low on memory.jpg

If you pass MemTest, try your hard disk(s) too. Especially the one your page file is located on if you have multiple. I've seen bluescreens and memory errors in the past that actually ended up being caused by a page file located on a dying hard disk.

22 hours ago, TimBoBaggins said:

bluescreen.jpg

low on memory.jpg

I'd love to see those pictures if you can upload them to some external host. I have experienced something similar, although my game never crashes, nor has any problem running. I get bought back to the desktop and shown a low memory message, but I can go back to the game with no problems RAM is not being 100% used.

I don't remember how I triggered it, though, but I think it was while testing heavier graphic options after installing a second GPU (higher AA settings, etc). I came to think it was either VRAM, not RAM, or the page file, but I didn't get the error again to check those. wouldn't be surprised if your RAM is enough and working fine, but it's actually the going to desktop and back that crashes it (some games are not resilient in that sense). You could see a black screen because the game crashes when windows tries to pull you back to show you the error message (as it does in my case).

I can try to reproduce the problem later today and see if I find something useful for you. In the meantime, I recommend leaving the Resource Monitor open on the memory tab while gaming, and when this happen look at the figures in "physical", "commit", and "hard faults". In particular, for "commit" look at the absolute numbers in the process list, not just the percentages in the graphs. Check your page file size, and if no better idea comes up, try manually increasing its maximum size and see it that helps.

On 02/09/2016 at 2:44 PM, Orangeator said:

It can if he has a faulty RAM stick... 

i ran memtest and it said i had no faults after 24 vhours of running

On 02/09/2016 at 2:52 PM, typographie said:

If you pass MemTest, try your hard disk(s) too. Especially the one your page file is located on if you have multiple. I've seen bluescreens and memory errors in the past that actually ended up being caused by a page file located on a dying hard disk.

i had a problem with my page file a long time ago and i increased the value of it or something i really cant remember. how would i check something like that?

On 02/09/2016 at 3:13 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'd love to see those pictures if you can upload them to some external host. I have experienced something similar, although my game never crashes, nor has any problem running. I get bought back to the desktop and shown a low memory message, but I can go back to the game with no problems RAM is not being 100% used.

I don't remember how I triggered it, though, but I think it was while testing heavier graphic options after installing a second GPU (higher AA settings, etc). I came to think it was either VRAM, not RAM, or the page file, but I didn't get the error again to check those. wouldn't be surprised if your RAM is enough and working fine, but it's actually the going to desktop and back that crashes it (some games are not resilient in that sense). You could see a black screen because the game crashes when windows tries to pull you back to show you the error message (as it does in my case).

I can try to reproduce the problem later today and see if I find something useful for you. In the meantime, I recommend leaving the Resource Monitor open on the memory tab while gaming, and when this happen look at the figures in "physical", "commit", and "hard faults". In particular, for "commit" look at the absolute numbers in the process list, not just the percentages in the graphs. Check your page file size, and if no better idea comes up, try manually increasing its maximum size and see it that helps.

i had to increase the pagefile size previously. maybe i need to again???

On 01/09/2016 at 6:24 PM, SLAYR said:

The pictures aren't working.

i wil try to post them again, sorry about that.

25 minutes ago, TimBoBaggins said:

i think it has worked this time.

all errr messages.jpg

bluescreen.jpg

The half-shown message to the right is what you want to look at. Seems like a GPU driver or VRAM issue. 

Btw, I tried to replicate the error by messing with the graphic options of a couple of games but I couldn't get it to happen. Maybe a driver update fixed it for me, or maybe it only happened on single GPU (didn't realize to disable crossfire and sees), or maybe I didn't try the right game /setting to trigger it :-? 

16 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The half-shown message to the right is what you want to look at. Seems like a GPU driver or VRAM issue. 

Btw, I tried to replicate the error by messing with the graphic options of a couple of games but I couldn't get it to happen. Maybe a driver update fixed it for me, or maybe it only happened on single GPU (didn't realize to disable crossfire and sees), or maybe I didn't try the right game /setting to trigger it :-? 

do you think i might have a faulty gpu then. it is a brand new rx 480 by sapphire

3 hours ago, TimBoBaggins said:

do you think i might have a faulty gpu then. it is a brand new rx 480 by sapphire

I can't be sure, but my hunch: no, I don't think your card is faulty, I think you are experiencing software problems in a beta version running in a buggy OS. Either the game/driver crashes when and if you run out of VRAM, or Windows is crashing when trying to "commit" memory for it and hitting the page file maximum size for some reason.

On 07/09/2016 at 0:39 AM, Curious Pineapple said:

Have a poke around in event viewer, should give you more info on what caused the crashes :)

how do i find that? sorry

The blue screen points to a problematic driver, and from that half visible message in the first image I'd have to guess that it's the GPU driver.

I'd suggest downloading the latest version of the drivers from the AMD website and completely wipe out any trace of the existing drivers and install the latest drivers.