Any hints on why my cpu is heating so much? Also review on Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

Hi all,

I have an i5-4690k not overclocked. It is idling at around 113 Fahrenheit or 45 degrees Celsius. When playing any game the temperatures sky rockets to around 176 Fahrenheit or 80 Celsius. In bf1 on ultra it goes up to 90 Celsius. The GPU (GTX 970) barley goes above 40 Celsius.

Is this normal and is it safe? It is currently being cooled by a stock intel cooler. I know it needs an upgrade. I was looking at the 

Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 - Cooler.

Any reviews on it? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So it is safe to play for prolonged periods with 80 or 90 degrees celsuis cpu?

Thanks for reassuring me. Once I started seeing those temps I thought I was damaging my cpu. 

90C? Are you sure that isn't maybe Fahrenheit? My rig with an i5-6600 and Cryorig H7 is very cool, maintaining temperatures around ~100F during gaming. If that CPU isn't even overclocked, then something must be wrong. What program are you using? Is there little airflow in your case? Maybe the CPU cooler was mounted incorrectly? 

2 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

90C? Are you sure that isn't maybe Fahrenheit? My rig with an i5-6600 and Cryorig H7 is very cool, maintaining temperatures around ~100F during gaming. If that CPU isn't even overclocked, then something must be wrong. What program are you using? Is there little airflow in your case? Maybe the CPU cooler was mounted incorrectly? 

I am using hwmonitor to monitor my temps. I am certain that it is in celsius. I am unising stock intel cooler for now. In the winter it would average aroung 60 or 70C under load.

Is there a way maybe to check the 'health' of the cpu?

that does seem a little high, when i used a H100i on my 4670k it idled around 30 and during load was like 50-60 depending on how hard it was being pushed.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

that does seem a little high, when i used a H100i on my 4670k it idled around 30 and during load was like 50-60 depending on how hard it was being pushed.

Hopefully tomorrow I will buy and install the liquid freezer 240 and my temps will go significantly down as these current temps are a bit scary.

1 minute ago, keithxue said:

Hopefully tomorrow I will buy and install the liquid freezer 240 and my temps will go significantly down as these current temps are a bit scary.

I forgot to add is it possible the thermal paste on your CPU has dried up? If so I'd recommend immediately putting on new thermal paste.I would also make sure the thermal paste you're using is of decent quality. You can do the spread test I guess if that is what you call it.  Also if you don't plan to overclock your 4690k a AIO cooler isn't generally going to be needed. You'll get slightly better temperatures, but the price isn't very reasonable. As long as temps aren't getting into the 90C range, 5C cooler temps won't be a game changer if you have to pay $50+ more for a better cooler. If you want to overclock the Liquid Freezer 240 is a good choice. 

1 minute ago, Rolfejc said:

I forgot to add is it possible the thermal paste on your CPU has dried up? If so I'd recommend immediately putting on new thermal paste.I would also make sure the thermal paste you're using is of decent quality. You can do the spread test I guess if that is what you call it.  Also if you don't plan to overclock your 4690k a AIO cooler isn't generally going to be needed. You'll get slightly better temperatures, but the price isn't very reasonable. As long as temps aren't getting into the 90C range, 5C cooler temps won't be a game changer if you have to pay $50+ more for a better cooler. If you want to overclock the Liquid Freezer 240 is a good choice. 

Really thank you for the information. I will first clean and reapply thermal paste before buying an AIO and retest temps

3 hours ago, keithxue said:

Hi all,

I have an i5-4690k not overclocked. It is idling at around 113 Fahrenheit or 45 degrees Celsius. When playing any game the temperatures sky rockets to around 176 Fahrenheit or 80 Celsius. In bf1 on ultra it goes up to 90 Celsius. The GPU (GTX 970) barley goes above 40 Celsius.

Is this normal and is it safe? It is currently being cooled by a stock intel cooler. I know it needs an upgrade. I was looking at the 

Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 - Cooler.

Any reviews on it? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Those temps are from using a stock cooler. There's a reason the extreme chips don't come with stock coolers. Intel expects those to be used with powerful aftermarket coolers.

A stock cooler combined with shitty, dried up thermal compound is a combination that will get you high temperatures even with i5s. Add in poor airflow and your temps are in the 90s. I wouldn't like to see my CPU going over 80c in continuous use but really it shouldn't do any sort of damage so don't worry.

Afaik the Freezer 240 is a fine CLC. It looks cheap as hell but performs very nicely. You should see a massive drop in temperatures when you switch from the stock cooler.

Liquid cooling since 2002.

Thanks all for the comments. Today I switch up my thermal paste and bought an arctic freezer 13. My temperatures when from 90 degrees celsuis to 65 max when playing bf1. I think the high temps were due to dried up thermal paste. Again thanks all for the help. Much appreciated.