Creator of RivaTuner is not supporting x64 (at least not anytime soon)

ChrisxIxCross

rivatuner.gifAlexey-Nicolaychuk.jpg

For those of you thinking that your OSD is not working in BF4 because it's beta is not true, since BF4 is one of the first upcoming x64 games THAT is the reason why u cant see your osd in game. For those of you that don't know Riva Tuner is the backend software that powers the osd for all major GPU utilities -ie Msi Afterburner, EVGA Precision, Asus Gpu Tweak etc... Here is what Riva Tuner creator Alexey Nicolaychuk had to say on the matter - 

I have no plans to provide 64-bit support in RTSS while 64-bit applications cover insignificant part of market. Developing 64-bit server is not a trivial application recompilation, API hooking engine works with target application machine code at low-level, it contains built-it x86 executable machine code disassembler for stealth mode functionality and floating injection point implementation, many parts of hook engine are written in ASM as well as performance critical video compression parts are heavily optimized ASM/SSE2. So 64-bit version means that whole hooking infrastructure must be re-created from scratch as well as some parts of video encoding (e.g. whole highly effective RTV1 compressor). So that's rather expensive from development time point of view, I'd say it is costs 2-3 weeks of fulltime development. At the same time it only extends user base a bit and it brings zero new functionality to the majority of application users, as well as gives them potential issues due to rewriting some parts of previously polished codebase. I see zero sense in it current market state. Yes, one day it will be absolutely necessary to provide 64-bit server when 32-bit applications become the minority. But that "one day" is somewhere in far future, and right now I have a choice to invest the same few weeks of development in new functionality and I'll always chose this way.

So essentially it would cost far too much money, and brings in too little functionality for the amount of existing users using RTSS at this moment in time. It's unfortunate but it makes perfect sense from a software developer's standpoint. For those of you that can't live without an osd in your games ive started using playclaw 5 http://www.playclaw.com, which supports the 64bit API. Anyways what do you guys think? 

Link  - http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4667940&postcount=125

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

What dose RivaTuner do?

Msi Afterburner and Evga Precision are based on it.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

What dose RivaTuner do?

RivaTuner is the underlying part of AfterBurner. MSI AfterBurner is basically a skin for it.

The developer is a huge prick though. I talked to him about issues with his QuickSync encoding implementation a while ago and he just went "lol sucks to be you, why don't use you use a different program if AfterBurner doesn't work".

Anyway, if it doesn't work with 64bit applications then he will need to rewrite it sooner or later, as more games will stop working with it. It's worth noting that I don't think he gets any money from this though, so it's understandable that he doesn't want to spent 2 weeks rewriting big parts of it.

And Riva Tuner is a "skin" on top of NvAPI (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi) :D

So yes, someone might do it.

The hard part is DLL injection part, and the overlaying part. But once you have those, you just need to do the API called to Nv API to get the temperature, usage, current clock, etc.

what does he mean by osd? on screen display?

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

what does he mean by osd? on screen display?

yes

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

OSD the wrong term. It should be over layer.

On Screen Display, means you have a screen/content over the content of the display. In this case, it's not the case, it's just above a game.

Damn.. How we gunna get hardware info in an OSD format overlay for 64 bit games.. BF4 / watchdogs / call of duty ghosts?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Make you own?

But really, come one guys, this is 100% useless info. Yes your GPU usage goes up while you play a game.. yay?!

No your GPU is not overheating... if it did, the game would crash. And the time you notice it would be too late. Even if you minimize the game, it will be too late.

Make you own?

But really, come one guys, this is 100% useless info. Yes your GPU usage goes up while you play a game.. yay?!

No your GPU is not overheating... if it did, the game would crash. And the time you notice it would be too late. Even if you minimize the game, it will be too late.

Yes you have a point, but im sure theres plenty of gamers out there like myself who really like to fine tune and tweak their in game settings to the point where they're satisfied with a consistent gpu usage/fps. Not to mention see the clocks our card is running at when we're overclocking. 

Yes you have a point, but im sure theres plenty of gamers out there like myself who really like to fine tune and tweak their in game settings to the point where they're satisfied with a consistent gpu usage/fps. Not to mention see the clocks our card is running at when we're overclocking. 

Agreed

Since no MSI AB for 64bit I've been using DXtory for my FPS counter and Recording

You can still have your GPUZ and MSI loaded on a second monitor..or behind your game on a single.

It will still show the GPU usage,.....clocks/memory usage and voltages....Just not the FPS and MSI will not Record BF4, but the desktop if you hit the hotkey.

I didnt like fraps's performance hit and huge files so I switch to DXtory.. has been great.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If they pay him enough he will support it. I might not get a game if it's 64 bit if I can't get RivaTuner. Seriously it means a lot to me as I generally buy a game to play it but I also like to analyse all the settings. I can only do that with RivaTuner and EVGA Precision. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I see this as a bad move on his part. The reason being, yes he will saving time and money NOW but eventually 64 bit gaming WILL be a thing so he will have to spend MORE time and money in the future (More code due to new features and as always inflation) if he wants his program to be use. But while he sits and waits for 64 bit to become a thing people that want a program like RivaTuner are going to find alternatives and by the time RivaTuner supports 64 bit it will be too late, the installed user base will have shrunk then he would have to insert more time and money to try get back to the install base they had.

I see this as a bad move on his part. The reason being, yes he will saving time and money NOW but eventually 64 bit gaming WILL be a thing so he will have to spend MORE time and money in the future (More code due to new features and as always inflation) if he wants his program to be use. But while he sits and waits for 64 bit to become a thing people that want a program like RivaTuner are going to find alternatives and by the time RivaTuner supports 64 bit it will be too late, the installed user base will have shrunk then he would have to insert more time and money to try get back to the install base they had.

But what you do if you have normal job and this is like hobby? I think he's not getting any money from rival, that's why is a thing to make 64bit...

My PC Specs is:
i7 3930k @ 4.1ghz, 16gb 2133mhz rams running at around 2000mhz, 256gb ocz agillity3 ssd x2 raid 0 stripe 128kb, EVGA GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 SLI, ocz 1250w psu, asus p9x79deluxe motherboard, Cooler H100i
Windows 8 x64 PRO

Sort of sad because have been using this to keep track of my temps when I am gaming with the help of HWinfo. Too bad that Playclaw isn't free. Guess I'll now do logs using HWInfo in 64bit games if I really needed it to solve an issue with my computer.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I've read a lot of the forum posts recently (where MSI afterburner is developed and supported).. There's a metric tonne of hate / ego / trolling going around at the slightest mention when something doesn't work.

Every1 just needs to take a chill pill (here too) and come to the realisation 64bit is out of reach.

Sad yes.. Something you can do about it.. No.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

• 2 weeks later...

If you just use afterburner for fps and such I suggest razer game booster.

Sure it is "main-stream" but it works great, projecting the fps where you want it with very little overhead.
It has a nice gui and all that and looks new and what not but the fps with little overhead is killer. 
It also help add preformace to a small degree by disabling settings and things you may not use during a game then re-enabling them =)

http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

Paintball meet up KD 7(8?)/1 + one capture 

dat duckface doe