Tech Education Software makes a huge mistake

21rkosta

ARK is only good at comparing CPU's within its own generation and product, for example i3 desktop 6th gen.

Linus taught me that!

Ok... so, the course is really basic. Let me guess, you are in High-School? The content is fine.

Even your approach with Benchmark is useless, as it is easy for a CPU to detect a benchmark and start cheating to gain faster results. So the real solution is deep architecture talk. But then you are looking are a multiple year program, intensive, full day, with Intel/AMD senior engineers being teachers (not to mention the implications in leaking private information). Yea...your not getting the attention of many students for long. Very dry course.

@GoodBytes or they could just say use xyz cpu comparing site, which would probobly provide far better answers than saying, clockspeed, or i mean they could have at least touched on core count

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

3 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

@GoodBytes or they could just say use xyz cpu comparing site, which would probobly provide far better answers than saying, clockspeed, or i mean they could have at least touched on core count

And advertise a website? Or benchmark? No.

Core count doesn't mean anything. If your program is single threaded, multi-core doesn't matter.

The course aims at people going at BestBuy or whatever, looking at all the computers, which are generally, and most of the time, contains Intel latest CPU.

If the student is interested, asking the questions, then he can take a College/University level class.

A lot of stuff I explain here I simplify the crap off. Anyone that is knowledgeable can pick apart a lot of things I say, and correct me on how it is not really how things are. But it is correct for the intended purpose and target audience.

57 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

my school is making us go through an online tech ed course called ignition i have only been doing it for about 10 minutes and i allready noticed a problem, to talk about cpu speed they used the clock speed of the cpu instead of something better such as a benchmark score

Lol. That course is intended for people who are completely illiterate and can't hold a conversion about computers or technology at all. It's designed with two things in mind: 1) most of the people that use it will never do anything more to become educated about how technology works, and 2) you don't want to overwhelm that target market that doesn't already know about the stuff, keep it simple. 

I don't know if you've taken any college courses or been to university yet, but when you go you'll find out something very important: Early on you are taught things that are usually over simplified to the point that they can be downright wrong, but give you the ability to understand more, like why those things were wrong. That's pretty much exactly what university is about.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

@GoodBytes dude, im just saying that the info is almost useless, and for the like 5% of people who actualy take the advice that they are giving in the course they could make a very stupid decision based on what the website said

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

4 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

@GoodBytes dude, im just saying that the info is almost useless, and for the like 5% of people who actualy take the advice that they are giving in the course they could make a very stupid decision based on what the website said

All you need when it comes to shopping for a computer is: You always get what you paid for when comparing things from the same year.

So, if one knows nothing, he can buy a computer knowing what he/she will get.

The purpose of the course is to give basic knowledge of computers. How they work, what is this "MHz", "GB", "Wi-Fi", "USB" and so on.

So, that they don't at the store and go: "Yea I am looking for a USP cable.... do you have that? Oh How many Wi-Fi does this thing have?", basically.

You are asking for a higher level course, which many students will just go over their head.

@straight_stewiei had a friend that knew literaly nothing about computers, so i sent him a few links to a few linus videos (if you added all the time up it was probobly about 15-30 minutes), and then he could actualy figure out, ok lets get this pc because allthough the clock speed is a little lower the core count is higher and it has a better score in a few benchmarks, and also it has 1tb of storage, which is great for my movie collection and various other media

@GoodBytes well it annoys me that they explained it wrong, people would have  probobly been just as good of if it was not explained at all, 

@paos i would if it wasnt an online course

You know, they might not even be wrong in saying that 1GHz is faster than 2GHz. If we assume that other variables are the same, such as architecture then the clock speed is the determining factor.

If it bothers you then just imagine that they are for example comparing a 6600K vs the 6400.

For everything else that bothers you, remember that these kinds of courses are very simplified in order to be able to educate someone from "a computer is a magical machine" to "I kind of get the basics now!". If you find this particular course easy then just lean back and relax. Be glad that you have at least one course that you don't have to spend a lot of time studying.

I hope they that website mentions the speed increase gained via SSD storage for everyone (not just power users) , otherwise it is useless. 

One of the biggest things to come to desktops (and laptops) and it is still not yet standard. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…