DDR2 ECC 700MHz for a NAS?

Will DDR2 ECC 700MHz be fine for a NAS? (FreeNAS). Will I be losing out anything compared to DDR3 ECC Ram?

Just now, GreenEagle said:

Will DDR2 ECC 700MHz be fine for a NAS? (FreeNAS). Will I be losing out anything compared to DDR3 ECC Ram?

Not really as the speed of your RAM doesn't really effect what you'll be doing. Amount of RAM is more important for what you're doing. More speed is only important if you want to do something like RAM caching, but the same effect could be achieved (and a lot cheaper) with an SSD.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Well it depends on your motherboard because you can't use DDR2 in a DDR3 motherboard and you can't use DDR3 in a DDR2 motherboard...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Well it depends on your motherboard because you can't use DDR2 in a DDR3 motherboard and you can't use DDR3 in a DDR2 motherboard...

Some mobos supported DDR2 and DDR3 during the change, similar to how some Haswell mobos support DDR3 and DDR4.

8 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Some mobos supported DDR2 and DDR3 during the change, similar to how some Haswell mobos support DDR3 and DDR4.

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

What are you talking about?

There aren't haswell motherboards that support DDR4.

Spoiler