cheap cooler for old i5-750 ?

oldnick

I have an old pc that i will use as server for few tasks also could add my hd 7970 gpu (after buying a new gpu for my main pc) to make it a secondary  gaming pc

the cpu ran at 50 idle with stock cooler so i need a new cooler to cool it down and potentially some over clocking(not a necessity thou) 

better to be free shipping from china (ebay) so i dont have to pay extra for the shipping (i dont live in the US also not in a hurry)

better to be less than 20 dollar and similar to hyper 212 evo in performance 

If idle temps are high, it's probably due to old paste. The stock cooler should be fine with some new thermal paste.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If idle temps are high, it's probably due to old paste. The stock cooler should be fine with some new thermal paste.

i just removed the heat sink and the paste doesnt look too great (first time in 6 years maybe xD)

but the fan is noisy i think it hits the heat sink surface so i has to change it (hopefully with some cheap chinese cooler that works will for overclocking) 

or am i better off buying evo 212 from the start ?

36 minutes ago, oldnick said:

i just removed the heat sink and the paste doesnt look too great (first time in 6 years maybe xD)

but the fan is noisy i think it hits the heat sink surface so i has to change it (hopefully with some cheap chinese cooler that works will for overclocking) 

Hyper 212 Evo and you're done. Plus, when you decide to retire the machine, you can always reinstall the Stock heatsink before you sell it, and keep the Hyper 212 Evo for personal use on another machine. Or just live with the $20-25 cost. They're really affordable and get the job done.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

Hyper 212 Evo and you're done. Plus, when you decide to retire the machine, you can always reinstall the Stock heatsink before you sell it, and keep the Hyper 212 Evo for personal use on another machine. Or just live with the $20-25 cost. They're really affordable and get the job done.

there will be $30+ for shipping to my county 

this is why i have been thinking about the chinese option for free global shipping

also i will never sell that pc < even though no one will buy it xD

38 minutes ago, oldnick said:

It's entirely possible that the fan on your OEM sink is going out. If it is, yeah, the 212 family is an option, but I prefer the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 over the 212. It's cheaper than the 212, somehow, a little more compact and slightly better. Value king if you can get your hands on it, 212 works if you can't. The Cryorig H7 is also outstanding if you can get it in your country, but it's a little pricier than the 212 or Gammaxx usually.

After buying a couple of those dual (or triple) fan coolers from China for funsies, my general advice is to stay away from them. They look like crap in person when you can see just how cheaply they're built, and their fans might as well be rocket engines.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It's entirely possible that the fan on your OEM sink is going out. If it is, yeah, the 212 family is an option, but I prefer the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 over the 212. It's cheaper than the 212, somehow, a little more compact and slightly better. Value king if you can get your hands on it, 212 works if you can't. The Cryorig H7 is also outstanding if you can get it in your country, but it's a little pricier than the 212 or Gammaxx usually.

After buying a couple of those dual (or triple) fan coolers from China for funsies, my general advice is to stay away from them. They look like crap in person when you can see just how cheaply they're built, and their fans might as well be rocket engines.

thanks for the advice

45C idle was what I got with Noctuas U9B on Q6600.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, oldnick said:

Do you mean that the fan scrapes across the heatsink?

The heatsink shouldn't degrade over time. If the fan is going bad, that is a good reason to replace the cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Do you mean that the fan scrapes across the heatsink?

The heatsink shouldn't degrade over time. If the fan is going bad, that is a good reason to replace the cooler.

yes

this is why i need to change it

1 hour ago, oldnick said:

yes

this is why i need to change it

You could get the cooler you originally linked--most of the coolers I see from China on eBay are generic and it's hard to tell how well they may or may not perform since a huge factor that's hard to determine is the quality of the mounting hardware. 

These would probably be better: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Fan-CPU-Quiet-Cooler-Heatsink-for-AMD-FM2-FM1-AM3-AM3-AM2-AM2-940-939-754-/321906669439?hash=item4af321f77f:g:yBMAAOSwsB9WBmkq

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ID-COOLING-SE-802-2-Direct-Touch-Heatpipes-CPU-Cooler-80mm-Fan-for-Intel-AMD-/181791715761?hash=item2a53a171b1:g:K8oAAOSwHnFVk6vW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120mm-PWM-Fan-3-Direct-Touch-Heatpipe-High-Cooling-Performance-CPU-Cooler-/171438144948?hash=item27ea827db4:g:dPYAAOSw5dNWip8v

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

thank you this is very helpful