Noctua NH-D15 too heavy?

meh123

hi ppl i haven't yet bought my pc and i think that water cooling is a bad idea as of it being too complicated i've seen how this cooler competes against an corsair H100and H110 and i've been thinking of getting an NH-D15 instead however weight and space it takes is a lot and least but not last is it lga 1151 socket compatible. can the cooler damage the cpu pins, can the sheer weight bend/damage a Motherboard.(mine is a asus z170 pro gaming)

It will say if it's compatible with that cpu socket or not if you dig deep enough in the specs.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

No. Your Board is screwed down and the Cooler has a Backplate. No Danger.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It will be fine. The mounting hardware is there to distribute the weight across the board and the cooler is compatible with 1151. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, meh123 said:

what about the CPU pins?

What about them? CPU rests on pins and mobo has retention plate to keep it in place. Noctua has made sure that you just can't over-tighten screws by hand (they won't turn over certain point).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Tens of thousands of those coolers out there, never herard of a single case where they damaged a CPU or motherboard. Just don't toss your rig around with the cooler installed and you'll be fine!

5 hours ago, meh123 said:

hi ppl i haven't yet bought my pc and i think that water cooling is a bad idea as of it being too complicated i've seen how this cooler competes against an corsair H100and H110 and i've been thinking of getting an NH-D15 instead however weight and space it takes is a lot and least but not last is it lga 1151 socket compatible. can the cooler damage the cpu pins, can the sheer weight bend/damage a Motherboard.(mine is a asus z170 pro gaming)

Yes, it is, and no, it won't. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

unless you are Berkel and screw in your board without a standoff your board is very unlikely to bend.

I Just went with a Swiftech H240-X because I didn't want a big ass skyscraper on my motherboard in a case with a window.
So unless you want and have the money for water cooling you should just use the Noctua NH-D15

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before i got kicked out of the class

As everyone else said, it should be fine. I have the NH-D15 too mounted onto my AMD chip, and although there are minor differences between the chips and mounting technique, the weight distribution and the way the cooler connects are the same. 

I am a Tech Enthusiast; Gamer, Computing student; Small YouTuber and a keyboard warrior :^)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 8Cores@4.7GHz | RAM: 16GB (Mixed Kingston&Corsair) | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 4GB | Case: Bitfenix Merx Alpha | Storage: Intel P600 M.2 NVMe SSD [BOOT]; Samsung 850 EVO 120GB [Spare]; 240GB OCZ SSD [Games] ;1TB SSHD | PSU: Corsair RM 850x Modular PSU | Displays: AOC 24" 1080p; x2 LG 23" Ultrawides; LG 45" 1080p TV | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 |Keyboard: Ducky Shine DK9008_G2Pro + Razer Blackwidow X Chroma TE | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013; Razer Deathadder Chroma; Razer Deathadder Elite (current) | Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Extended | Audio: Sennheiser Urbanite XL | Operating System: Windows 10 Home