PC not loading Windows

Endre

As the title states, my PC doesn't want to load Windows from my Samsung SSD. All I get is a black screen with a weird narrow green flickering line along the top of the screen.

What I've tried:

• Swapping the GTX1070 with a GTX 960
  • Booting from a different SSD that also has Windows on it. This results in a problem where it can't load Windows either (0xc000000f)
  • Swapping the RAM with a different kit.
  • Moving my original SSD into a different computer. This results in the same boot issue even though all the parts are different.
  • Re-installing Windows on the Samsung SSD.

None of my attempts seem to have made a difference, which is weird because the computer worked ~8 hours earlier.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

go into bios, and set the 1st boot disk to your ssd, not some other drive, or clear the windows off the ssd, and get an image onto a usb drive and then plug that usb in to install windows. If you didn't install windows already and you are trying to reinstall from a ssd without a flashable image, it won't work

Make sure your OS drive is the only drive on the boot priority list in the UEFI.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You should get the support from the brand of your motherboard. I've fixed my m.2 drive(as os drive) not working.

So I found a USB I recently used to re-install Windows 10 on a family member's computer, and I used it in my own computer now. When I try to install Windows on the Samsung SSD I receive this error message (I'm translating it to English btw): "Windows cannot be installed on this drive. The chosen drive has a MBR partition table. On EFI systems Windows can only be installed on GPT drives."

What does this mean?

1 minute ago, Endre said:

So I found a USB I recently used to re-install Windows 10 on a family member's computer, and I used it in my own computer now. When I try to install Windows on the Samsung SSD I receive this error message (I'm translating it to English btw): "Windows cannot be installed on this drive. The chosen drive has a MBR partition table. On EFI systems Windows can only be installed on GPT drives."

What does this mean?

http://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

it pretty much means that ssd is done

4 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

You should get the support from the brand of your motherboard. I've fixed my m.2 drive(as os drive) not working.

I'll contact MSI asap then, thanks.

not for booting, you should still be able to install it onto the system. 

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

not for booting, you should still be able to install it onto the system. 

Ugh...

I have a 1TB HDD, but I got a lot of stuff on it. Can I install Windows to the HDD without losing anything on it?

MAKE SURE that you're booting from the SSD, NOT the Windows Boot Loader. I had a similar problem right after doing a clean install of Win10Pro. Went into my boot menu, booted from the SSD instead of the bootloader, and everything was fine. Hope your issue gets sorted out!

Just now, Endre said:

I don't think I'll attempt that, but thank you anyway.

i would do it, it's honestly not that bad, just follow all the steps and you can save 100 dollars

i would do it, it's honestly not that bad, just follow all the steps and you can save 100 dollars

I'll check it out tomorrow, as it's 11:30 PM here and I'm pissed off after waking up hungover to a computer not working and spending my whole day trying to fix it:P

1 minute ago, Endre said:

I'll check it out tomorrow, as it's 11:30 PM here and I'm pissed off after waking up hungover to a computer not working and spending my whole day trying to fix it:P

all you had to do was ask the geeks and nerd at https://linustechtips.com

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

all you had to do was ask the geeks and nerd at https://linustechtips.com

Haha yeah :D but I brought my computer to a friend's house who knows a lot about computers and after many many hours he was like "I have no clue, your computer is retarded". My SSD doesn't work in his computer nor mine, but his SSD works in his and not mine for example.

Just now, Endre said:

Haha yeah :D but I brought my computer to a friend's house who knows a lot about computers and after many many hours he was like "I have no clue, your computer is retarded". My SSD doesn't work in his computer nor mine, but his SSD works in his and not mine for example.

If that's the case, there might be some BIOS or other hardware issues with your PC.

Just now, Endre said:

Ahhhhhh, norwegians.... not much different from us canadians xD my friend brought in his computer that he dropped and  expected me to repair a cpu that was bent. 

Just now, Its_Twitchyy said:

If that's the case, there might be some BIOS or other hardware issues with your PC.

What should I do about it?

Just now, Endre said:

What should I do about it?

It's not Bios. You have UEFI the new bios. Your ssd is compatible with BIOS but you need GPT to boot onto UEFI and the 64 bit windows 10/8/7

It's not Bios. You have UEFI the new bios. Your ssd is compatible with BIOS but you need GPT to boot onto UEFI and the 64 bit windows 10/8/7

How do you know the SSD isn't GPT? Why would the SSD work fine yesterday, but not today?

1 minute ago, Its_Twitchyy said:

How do you know the SSD isn't GPT? Why would the SSD work fine yesterday, but not today?

the guy just said that the screen said that he had a mbr and not a gpt

30 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Is this a skylake computer?  If so you'll have to convert the drive to GPT as was mentioned before.  That's why it probably comes up with the MBR error, Skylake and Braswell no longer use the MBR.

The specs are:

i7 2600k

msi z77a-gd65
samsung 840 ssd 250gb
msi gtx 1070

corsair cx750m