I Hate Loading Times (SSD Psuedo-Rant)

So I recently did a "I have 3 grand and I want a PC" sort of build (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dzFZZ8 if you care) and just basically wanted the best everything, without being absolutely stupid and buying like a $1000 processor or obscene amounts of Dominator Platinum. Yeah, ok it's not a great value or whatever, but that's not really the point.

My point is, I did something, I guess, a bit different than a lot of people typically do when they buy a hard drive(s). I took 4 250gb SSDs and threw them all in RAID 0. Now obviously I know the risks of RAID 0 blah blah blah... 1tb single SSD is cheaper blah blah blah... more reliable... blah blah blah yeah, no, I don't care. Does the little peasant 1tb SSD get 2.2gb/s read write speeds? No? Ok then. 

Now the only reason I say it is weird is because all of my pasty-white nerd friends (you typically hang around people somewhat similar to you, right?) who see daylight for maybe ~4hrs/week all think my build is cool and whatever, but what surprises them the most is the SSDs. Why is that? Is it such an uncommon practice? I mean I spent maybe $250ish for all 4 of of them, but a 1tb PCI-e SSD that gets only 65-70% the speed costs ~300% more and takes up precious PCI lanes and looks out of place and dumb in the slot as well. "But what if one of them crashes, then you have to reinstall everything and you'll lose all of your important data!". Tbh, if you don't back up your 4tb of Overwatch futa p0rn, then you deserve to lose it. But seriously, who doesn't back up their documents to an external hard drive or the cloud? All I mainly have are games and those can easily be re-downloaded anyway. And do people have no faith in these manufacturers? I'd hazard to say that <99.5% of the drives will fail before their 5yr warranties are up, because they are losing money if they make crappy drives.  I work with a 5yr old SSD in a server at work that has had over 780 TERABYTES of read/write history and the Crystal Disk benchmark still says it performs better than the speeds it's advertised as. I feel like my 6700k is going to burn up from the 5ghz o'c (yeah, 5ghz boi) I have on it before my SSDs start dying. And besides that, having windows boot time say the last boot time was 1.3 seconds is nice. So again, why is this not done more? Discuss, because I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

PCI-Express SSDs aren't really meant for the regular consumer, though, so you can't compare SATA SSDs in RAID vs. PCI-Express SSDs in terms of relative value.

Also, about the "pasty-white nerd friends", change the "pasty-white" part to mexican and you have me

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

PCI-Express SSDs aren't really meant for the regular consumer, though, so you can't compare SATA SSDs in RAID vs. PCI-Express SSDs in terms of relative value.

Who are they made for then? I've never heard of content creators or even businesses using them because of their terrible cost/performance and they're as big as a graphics card for gods sake. Even the supercomputer at my university uses striped SSDs in various raid configs.

Just now, Diamond Nacho said:

Who are they made for then? I've never heard of content creators or even businesses using them because of their terrible cost/performance and they're as big as a graphics card for gods sake. Even the supercomputer at my university uses striped SSDs in various raid configs.

They're there for users who could possibly take advantage of the speed advantages but doesn't wanna do RAID and/or does not have an M.2 slot readily available. Really they're the precursor the M.2 PCI-Express based SSDs.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

They're there for users who could possibly take advantage of the speed advantages but doesn't wanna do RAID and/or does not have an M.2 slot readily available. Really they're the precursor the M.2 PCI-Express based SSDs.

Yeah I guess so. But did you ever consider a RAID type of build for your PC?

1 minute ago, Diamond Nacho said:

Yeah I guess so. But did you ever consider a RAID type of build for your PC?

No, mainly because I don't really care to spend that kind of cash for what would probably be marginal gains for me.

Not like TF2 would take any shorter to load lol.

Your boot time is not 1.3 seconds. Boot time is from the moment you press the power button, to the moment windows logs you into the desktop.

You have to measure it using a stopwatch, not looking at some number that windows shows you which is not the full boot time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Your boot time is not 1.3 seconds. Boot time is from the moment you press the power button, to the moment windows logs you into the desktop.

You have to measure it using a stopwatch, not looking at some number that windows shows you which is not the full boot time.

Well, the BIOS time is maybe 3 seconds if that? And there's nothing you can really do about that anyway

29 minutes ago, Diamond Nacho said:

peasant 1tb SSD get 2.2gb/s read write speeds?

Yes its called NVMe.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

10 hours ago, Altecice said:

Yes its called NVMe.

2x - 512gb Samsung 950 Pro in raid 0 limited due to DMI 3.0 saturation...

3.2GB read / 3.0GB write

FB_IMG_1468357325831.jpg

FB_IMG_1468357325831.jpg