CPU's are so confusing anymore.

I really find myself missing the old days when I start looking at new processors.

I'm looking at building another system very soon.  It's been awhile so I started doing my research at Microcenter as that's where I'll be picking everything up from.  Right now I just need to pick up a CPU and motherboard.  Clearly these days you can't just go by the number schemes anymore it seems.  I'll look at an expensive one listed but then read on a review site how its crap and this particular one is better and its actually cheaper.  So what I want to know today, Minus the extreme processor where were looking at $1000+, what is the top of the line processor right now?

And then secondly, what is the top ITX MB right now for said CPU?

Thanks in advance!

i7 6700k

asus Maximus vii

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

The argued best processor for gaming is the 4-core 8-logical i7 6700K (overclockable)

and a good ITX mobo for it is this one

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/jmgPxr/asrock-motherboard-z170gamingitxac

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

The 6700k is the top mainstream processor. If you wanted to go with the enthusiast line, the 6800k is a good choice. As far as ITX boards go, most of them aren't that great for maximum performance. Perhaps an EVGA Z170 stinger?

Also, thanks for shopping at microcenter! Right now there is a bundle deal going on where if you purchase a processor and an applicable motherboard together, you get $30 off (or $50 with a video card as well).

So, right now you have Broadwell-E which was just released, which has the i7-6800K, i7-6850K, i7-6900K and the i7-6950x.

Below that is the consumer line of Skylake CPUs, which include in the high end: i7-6700K, i7-4790K and the i7-4770K.

Then you also have the Skylake i5 series.

As for ITX MB, no idea sorry..

As for AMD, nothing on the high end 'yet'.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, megaant4 said:

Below that is the consumer line of Skylake CPUs, which include in the high end: i7-6700K, i7-4790K and the i7-4770K.

i7-4xxx are Haswell/Haswell Refresh CPUs, not Skylake.

Man you guys are on it!  So what are the bennefits/cons of going 68** vs 6700

IDK about that, it's been pretty confusing since the first EE edition processor (and it was awful during the GHz wars). But within a brand sure it's kinda annoying I guess, but its been that way since Conroe for Intel and AMD still has a higher number is better no matter what approach.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

9 minutes ago, Rune said:

The 6700k is the top mainstream processor. If you wanted to go with the enthusiast line, the 6800k is a good choice. As far as ITX boards go, most of them aren't that great for maximum performance. Perhaps an EVGA Z170 stinger?

Also, thanks for shopping at microcenter! Right now there is a bundle deal going on where if you purchase a processor and an applicable motherboard together, you get $30 off (or $50 with a video card as well).

With all due respect, is there ever NOT a bundle deal at Microcenter with processor and motherboards?

Oh, and while I doubt you can do much about it, you guys should tell iBuyPower to do a better job with their display PC cable management, it's truly pitiful.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

IDK about that, it's been pretty confusing since the first EE edition processor (and it was awful during the GHz wars). But within a brand sure it's kinda annoying I guess, but its been that way since Conroe for Intel and AMD still has a higher number is better no matter what approach.

Well when I say confusing and wishing for the old days, I'm thinking back to when I first started building systems which was 1992

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

With all due respect, is there ever NOT a bundle deal at Microcenter with processor and motherboards?

Oh, and while I doubt you can do much about it, you guys should tell iBuyPower to do a better job with their display PC cable management, it's truly pitiful.

The amount fluctuates from time to time.

I'll pass the feedback along to our systems area manager. He may not be able to do anything as you say, but any feedback is welcome!

Just now, Jynx said:

Well when I say confusing and wishing for the old days, I'm thinking back to when I first started building systems which was 1992

So pentium 200 days? (well a bit prior I suppose.)

Haha, I guess it's the price we pay for 50x more perf.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

6 minutes ago, Jynx said:

More bang for more buck. I'm pretty sure the ratio bang/buck lowers.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

The amount fluctuates from time to time.

I'll pass the feedback along to our systems area manager. He may not be able to do anything as you say, but any feedback is welcome!

Oh, one last thing, you wouldn't happen to know if there are any plans to open a WI store in the future? Would love one (instead of amazon or driving to Il for it) here, and there really isn't ANY competition (Fry's doesn't exist and boutique shops are fairly rare. Best Buy is about all there is.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, Jynx said:

They have different platforms. 6700 belongs to the 1151 socket, aimed at mainstream consumers, from HTPC to office and gaming. 68xx balongs to the 2o11-3 platfor socket, aimed at workstations, enthusiast of powaaa and overkill gaming. The "extreme" platforms usually offer a number of performance perks that can be highly irrelevant from a gaming point of view, so gamers typically won't see the point in paying for that (like more RAM channels, although I'm not sure if there's quad channel from everyone now). Also, the 6-core and above are all on the extreme platform (2011-3), whereas the mainstream (1151) is maxed out at 4.

8 minutes ago, Jynx said:

6800k+ gives you access to quad channel memory, but for gaming that shouldn't make too much of a difference. The additional cores should also help with streaming and video rendering if you are into that. If all you are doing is gaming though, stick with z170 and the 6700k.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Oh, one last thing, you wouldn't happen to know if there are any plans to open a WI store in the future? Would love one (instead of amazon or driving to Il for it) here, and there really isn't ANY competition (Fry's doesn't exist and boutique shops are fairly rare. Best Buy is about all there is.)

Haven't heard anything about any new locations opening. They usually send out some emails about that sort of thing if it is close enough to need staffing, but I'll check and send a PM the next time I head in just to be sure.

A little off topic before I post more about the combo's I'm looking at, but since I was just reminded while searching, why is it that older hardware is so ridiculously expensive?  I remembered to check on some older z97 mATX and ITX boards for someone and be it Amazon or Ebay, boards that were $120 -$200 new are showing up today as $500+ is that a thing???

5 minutes ago, Jynx said:

A little off topic before I post more about the combo's I'm looking at, but since I was just reminded while searching, why is it that older hardware is so ridiculously expensive?  I remembered to check on some older z97 mATX and ITX boards for someone and be it Amazon or Ebay, boards that were $120 -$200 new are showing up today as $500+ is that a thing???

Yep as those boards aren't made anymore, so it is either buy outrageously priced ones, or go used.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 minutes ago, Jynx said:

Which boards?

6 minutes ago, DrMark said:

hi everyone!

Im between 

Dell Inspiron 7359 Touch (i3-6100U/4GB/500GB/W10)

and 

Dell Inspiron 7359 Touch (i5-6200U/8GB/508GB/FHD/W10)

the first one costs 650euros and the second 880euros.is it worthy the price difference?

Yhanks in advance!

Imagine talking to a friend when someone steps between you two and interrupts you for their own conversation. Start a new thread, I'll be happy to help there :).

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

6 minutes ago, Jynx said:

This z97 itx board new is $115.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/sWMFf7/asrock-motherboard-z97mitxac

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •