physx card

Yatys 93

How much over kill is a 1060?

I know not a lot supports it, and I know there are cheaper cards out there but hear me out

I want to do 3 cards in my liquid loops, just looks better IMO obviously the whole 10XX series is 2 way only, but according to their website, the EK G1 1080 waterblock is compatible with the G1 1060, so I'm thinking 2 way SLI with the G1 1080's and then the 1060 added mainly for aesthetics in all honesty

on a scale of 1 to 10 how stupid an idea have I conceived after a few glasses of whiskey?

aesthetic... right... why not 3 way 980ti or Titan X?

I think 11

If you got the money burning a hole in your pocket, I suppose its a cool idea, and would work. However, its quite an expensive change just for mainly the looks.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, martward said:

fair enough, thanks for the feed back

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

aesthetic... right... why not 3 way 980ti or Titan X?

I think 11

Im gonna assume you mean the new titan X, and the answer is purely cost, in the UK its gonna be £2400 before shipping for the pair.

as for the 980ti, 3 aren't as good as the pair of 1080's and I can't get an SLI bridge for my motherboard (sabertooth X99)

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

If you got the money burning a hole in your pocket, I suppose its a cool idea, and would work. However, its quite an expensive change just for mainly the looks.

Build isn't even started yet, polishing ideas and working over time since as of last week I stopped being a student nurse and became a real nurse :D

If you just want to fill up the slot get a cheaper card that still looks good. Like a broken one being sold for parts. A lot of cards like that on eBay for $10-15

7 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

How much over kill is a 1060?

I know not a lot supports it, and I know there are cheaper cards out there but hear me out

I want to do 3 cards in my liquid loops, just looks better IMO obviously the whole 10XX series is 2 way only, but according to their website, the EK G1 1080 waterblock is compatible with the G1 1060, so I'm thinking 2 way SLI with the G1 1080's and then the 1060 added mainly for aesthetics in all honesty

on a scale of 1 to 10 how stupid an idea have I conceived after a few glasses of whiskey?

I want to say 12, but I'm enjoying the mental image of two beastly 1080's sharing a water loop with a 1060 "PhysX card" so much that I couldn't possibly go higher than a 7. Hell, I might say 4 just to see if you go ahead with it :D

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

Im gonna assume you mean the new titan X, and the answer is purely cost, in the UK its gonna be £2400 before shipping for the pair.

as for the 980ti, 3 aren't as good as the pair of 1080's and I can't get an SLI bridge for my motherboard (sabertooth X99)

Pascal Titan X can't do 3 way SLI. Why not get a pair of RX 480 in crossfire then add nvidia GTX 480 for fun. That looks cool

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I want to say 12, but I'm enjoying the mental image of two beastly 1080's sharing a water loop with a 1060 "PhysX card" so much that I couldn't possibly go higher than a 7. Hell, I might say 4 just to see if you go ahead with it :D

are you saying good idea's aren't at the bottom of a whiskey bottle?

5 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Pascal Titan X can't do 3 way SLI. Why not get a pair of RX 480 in crossfire then add nvidia GTX 480 for fun. That looks cool

no waterblocks for the gtx 480 :P

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

are you saying good idea's aren't at the bottom of a whiskey bottle?

Once in a great while, they are. But much more often, they're not, and if you're staring at the bottom of a whiskey bottle, odds are you won't remember that good idea when you wake up anyway.

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

If you just want to fill up the slot get a cheaper card that still looks good. Like a broken one being sold for parts. A lot of cards like that on eBay for $10-15

while I get this idea is partly a waste of money (also isn't the whole rigid tubing 3 rad loop all for show anyway?) I draw the line at spending over £100 on a block for a broken card.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Once in a great while, they are. But much more often, they're not, and if you're staring at the bottom of a whiskey bottle, odds are you won't remember that good idea when you wake up anyway.

in my defence it wasn't anywhere near full today, and by the sound of it this idea isn't worth remembering

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

in my defence it wasn't anywhere near full today, and by the sound of it this idea isn't worth remembering

Mods pls pin

Just now, aisle9 said:

Mods pls pin

I don't know what that means...

1 minute ago, Yatys 93 said:

I don't know what that means...

Pin the post. Mods mean moderators and pls is short for please

12 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

while I get this idea is partly a waste of money (also isn't the whole rigid tubing 3 rad loop all for show anyway?) I draw the line at spending over £100 on a block for a broken card.

Well if you have the money do whatever your little heart desires. 

Honestly I think its dumb to buy a $400-600 card and a $100 block for it just to not use the card or use the card for physx what will give you virtually no performance increase.

Just get smaller mobo so you can only have 2 cars so it looks good.

Or just waste all your money.  It's not up to me

21 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Well if you have the money do whatever your little heart desires. 

Honestly I think its dumb to buy a $400-600 card and a $100 block for it just to not use the card or use the card for physx what will give you virtually no performance increase.

Just get smaller mobo so you can only have 2 cars so it looks good.

Or just waste all your money.  It's not up to me

There are other reasons I have chosen this motherboard, not just for the 3 slots, in fact it isn't great solely for 3 way due to spacing on the slots not being the same, also the 1060 is £270 in the UK atm. don't read that last bit in a sarcastic tone please, reads weirdly in my head...

19 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Why the heck would we want this post pinned on a front page of a subforum.....

This is relevant to like 0.00001% of people.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I got the please part :P

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Why the heck would we want this post pinned on a front page of a subforum.....

This is relevant to like 0.00001% of people.

I am not saying we should. I was explaining what it means.

2 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I am not saying we should. I was explaining what it means.

Oh sorry, I meant to reply to @aisle9

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm so speechless

My tongue just fell straight down my throat