Japan and PC gaming, what happened?

Hashiyan

So for the longest time, I've seen Japan. The big and high end tech country out there for so long not have a mass switch to PC gaming. I'm not stereotyping anyone but I mean someone that much into life like human robots and car manufacturer would think that they would realize PC gaming is so much more rewarding? 

I have not looked into it that much but, if something like a steam box came in to brawl the big Sony and legacy haired Nintendo then why hasn't anything kicked into gear? 

Does anyone have anyone who can go into more detail about why the japanese (other then just because its Sony and Nintendo) are so negative to PC gaming? 

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

I believe it's due to the cost of PCs and the size, even of a Mini ITX rig. Living space is scarce and expensive. People don't have the room for a monitor and an ATX Mid Tower.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I believe it's due to the cost of PCs and the size, even of a Mini ITX rig. Living space is scarce and expensive. People don't have the room for a monitor and an ATX Mid Tower.

And people think new york is expensive per sq ft

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly :P

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

There is still a lot of PC gaming in Japan. SO many JRPGS and what not T_T

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

So for the longest time, I've seen Japan. The big and high end tech country out there for so long not have a mass switch to PC gaming. I'm not stereotyping anyone but I mean someone that much into life like human robots and car manufacturer would think that they would realize PC gaming is so much more rewarding? 

Seriously? Don't be another stereo-typical pc master race dumbass.

It isn't more rewarding. People like what they like. Just because someone doesn't like PC gaming doesn't mean they are having an inferior experience or don't understand technology. People want to play games and that's what they do.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Yeah i think @TheSLSAMG had a good point, stuff in Japan is incredibly expensive and those living in city areas pay ridiculous amounts for a tiny living space. Chances are they don't have the space to have a decked out rig so they simply grab a console and play on the TV, while sitting on the bed :)

For example... In Tokyo: http://www.treehugger.com/interior-design/tokyo-renters-paying-568-tiny-coffin-sized-apartments.html

They simply know that pc gaming is a better experience. Thus they are so cool they have to do console gaming

to not be mainstream.

You see? They pc game so masterfully that they're NOT doing it because the planet would implode.

Yeah.....I don't get it either, but there must be meaning in there somewhere.

dota II nuff said

the asian teams kill at that pc game 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

• 2 weeks later...

In West Virginia houses are dirt fucking cheap

It isn't more rewarding. People like what they like. Just because someone doesn't like PC gaming doesn't mean they are having an inferior experience or don't understand technology. People want to play games and that's what they do.

I'm not trying to be a stereotypical PC master race guy, but ... it is more rewarding. People can like what they like, but PC gaming is most certainly a better experience than console gaming for enjoying the games themselves. Which, imo, is what most people try to do when playing video games.

What I mean by that is that, if you want to socialize, play with your friends, or simply be on a level playing field (all things not related to directly enjoying the game you are playing), then consoles are for you.

If you want to be sucked into the world, immersion and such, then PC gaming is for you. Higher detail = more immersion. Mind you, obviously there's more to it than just visuals (music and a good story are necessary), but you have to realize, we have had Last of Us level quality for a while on PC, if you are willing to pay for it.

I play games for story. I find PC gaming infinitely more immersive than console gaming. Primarily because of the same reason I gave for people to play consoles, interacting with other people tends to break immersion. 

I'm sorry, but in all measurable ways that I can see, PC gaming is better. Games are cheaper, and there are more of them. They can be more immersive and often are. Price-wise (including hardware, not just games, but both) they are even as far as I can tell. 

For reference: I intend to have a PS3 and PS4 in my PC case to play when I want to play a console exclusive or any of my old PS3 games. I play consoles. I just find PC to simply be "Better" for how I want to play my games. 

It's sort of like what you said "People can like what they like", but if people like an inferior experience, alrighty then. Let them. But I'm not gonna lie and say it's not inferior. Because as far as I'm concerned, it is. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Rewarding?? Hells no. Playing co-op games on a 3DS with 3 of your mates is rewarding. Japan knows whats what.

Edit:

Vitalius: I now ban you from playing any game on anything other than PC. Dont be such a hater on other systems, Thats not what gaming is about.

I'm not trying to be a stereotypical PC master race guy, but ... it is more rewarding. People can like what they like, but PC gaming is most certainly a better experience than console gaming for enjoying the games themselves. Which, imo, is what most people try to do when playing video games.

What I mean by that is that, if you want to socialize, play with your friends, or simply be on a level playing field (all things not related to directly enjoying the game you are playing), then consoles are for you.

If you want to be sucked into the world, immersion and such, then PC gaming is for you. Higher detail = more immersion. Mind you, obviously there's more to it than just visuals (music and a good story are necessary), but you have to realize, we have had Last of Us level quality for a while on PC, if you are willing to pay for it.

I play games for story. I find PC gaming infinitely more immersive than console gaming. Primarily because of the same reason I gave for people to play consoles, interacting with other people tends to break immersion.

I'm sorry, but in all measurable ways that I can see, PC gaming is better. Games are cheaper, and there are more of them. They can be more immersive and often are. Price-wise (including hardware, not just games, but both) they are even as far as I can tell.

For reference: I intend to have a PS3 and PS4 in my PC case to play when I want to play a console exclusive or any of my old PS3 games. I play consoles. I just find PC to simply be "Better" for how I want to play my games.

It's sort of like what you said "People can like what they like", but if people like an inferior experience, alrighty then. Let them. But I'm not gonna lie and say it's not inferior. Because as far as I'm concerned, it is.

That's sort of what I'm doing. I'm playing the mulitpayer games that my friends want to play on console and more single player games on my PC.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Yeah i think @TheSLSAMG had a good point, stuff in Japan is incredibly expensive and those living in city areas pay ridiculous amounts for a tiny living space. Chances are they don't have the space to have a decked out rig so they simply grab a console and play on the TV, while sitting on the bed :)

For example... In Tokyo: http://www.treehugger.com/interior-design/tokyo-renters-paying-568-tiny-coffin-sized-apartments.html

That link made me laugh! Why would anybody want to live in coffin sized apartment? I know Japan has dense population but you really don't have to live apartment that small if you are willing to live a bit further away from the city center. Has even this become some kind of dick measuring contest? "Yeah, I live downtown Tokyo". What they forgot to mention was they basically live in a closet.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Vitalius: I now ban you from playing any game on anything other than PC. Dont be such a hater on other systems, Thats not what gaming is about.

To further clarify:

Consoles are great for people who don't want or have the time to deal with the problems of PC (putting it together, maintaining it, troubleshooting), and people who want to play with friends easily. It's easy and everyone is on it. Then there's portability.

In every other category, PC gaming is better. 

Console gaming is an inferior experience in all aspects but the three mentioned above, imo, to PC gaming. 

I'm not hating on Consoles or the players who play them (because then I'd be hating on myself). I'm just not gonna lie and say they are equal, because they aren't.

Am I saying console gamers are inferior to PC gamers? No. I'm saying the experience they have as a Console gamer is inferior to the experience I have as a PC gamer in relation to the things that I consider to matter (immersion) with the only exceptions being the socializing, ease of use, and potential portability of it. 

Two different things.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

To further clarify:

Consoles are great for people who don't want or have the time to deal with the problems of PC (putting it together, maintaining it, troubleshooting), and people who want to play with friends easily. It's easy and everyone is on it. Then there's portability.

In every other category, PC gaming is better.

Console gaming is an inferior experience in all aspects but the three mentioned above, imo, to PC gaming.

I'm not hating on Consoles or the players who play them (because then I'd be hating on myself). I'm just not gonna lie and say they are equal, because they aren't.

Am I saying console gamers are inferior to PC gamers? No. I'm saying the experience they have as a Console gamer is inferior to the experience I have as a PC gamer in relation to the things that I consider to matter (immersion) with the only exceptions being the socializing, ease of use, and potential portability of it.

Two different things.

I think you're 100% wrong. Playing a game that is on PC on a console is usually a worse experience. You cant play Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Red Dead Redemption or any other exclusive on a PC. Doesnt make those games or those experiences inferior. Playing something like Pokemon emulated on PC is by far a worse experience than on the real console.

To me it sounds like you're generalizing everything based upon a few certian games like TES and Battlefield. Games that have higher quality on PC and modding support on PC vs standard to low quality on consoles.

i suppse it becaouse ppl are to busy and dont have time to sit down for 2 hrs and play.that why moblie gaming(vita/3ds)sales are so good in japan

I think you're 100% wrong. Playing a game that is on PC on a console is usually a worse experience. You cant play Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Red Dead Redemption or any other exclusive on a PC. Doesnt make those games or those experiences inferior. Playing something like Pokemon emulated on PC is by far a worse experience than on the real console.

To me it sounds like you're generalizing everything based upon a few certian games like TES and Battlefield. Games that have higher quality on PC and modding support on PC vs standard to low quality on consoles.

You're talking about exclusives. Exclusives are why I am still a console gamer. They are the exception.

The reason playing Monster Hunter, MGS, Zelda, and the like on console is better is because they are games designed with a gampad in mind. Moving that to PC with it's keyboard/controller would be weird, and if I were to use a controller on a PC to emulate said games, it wouldn't be any different. With the exception of Pokemon, the reason it isn't as good on PC is due to a lack of portability. Emulating it on a laptop is very different for this reason (it's portable). 

I'm talking about the overall experience. I'm not specifying any games or experiences as inferior besides the overall Console experience versus the overall PC experience. Not doing specifics because that's too complicated and would take too long. However, for those specific ones you mentioned, here is what I think:

If those exclusives were made for PC and the controls were made with PC in mind, they'd be better on PC than on Console, except where the Console is better (portability, ease of use, community). Red Dead Redemption would look better on PC, so the experience would be better. If only a tiny bit. Pokemon wouldn't be because part of what makes it easy to play is portability, which PC doesn't have unless on a Laptop. 

I would use a gamepad for the exclusives if I played them on my PC not because a gamepad is better, but because the game was designed with the gamepad in mind. Meaning using a mouse and keyboard (which are better than a gamepad in all games except fighting and racing) would be painful (look at Dark Souls). 

Again, as far as I'm concerned, comparing the tangible benefits between the two, Console has very little going for it, while PC has a lot going for it. 

Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, and other amazing Console games would've been better on PC. Why? Because keyboard+Mouse. Because better graphics (even though the graphics were already amazing). It would've been an overall better experience. 

I've played Last of Us and will start working on Beyond: Two Souls soon, so I will know how it feels to play them. And I can tell you now, I wish Last of Us used a keyboard/mouse.

† Christian Member †

When I lived there, I noticed that their work ethic was excellent, so they would accomplish ridiculous amounts of work in short periods of time. And as stated before, living space is very scarce, to put this into perspective: When I lived there my rent in Shinjuku was $1800/month for a 350sqft studio........

Glad to see another Laptop Overclocker :P

Needs Update

That link made me laugh! Why would anybody want to live in coffin sized apartment? I know Japan has dense population but you really don't have to live apartment that small if you are willing to live a bit further away from the city center. Has even this become some kind of dick measuring contest? "Yeah, I live downtown Tokyo". What they forgot to mention was they basically live in a closet.

I guess it's because of the workhorse lifestyle in Japan, which is pretty sad really  :unsure:

They are so overworked that they go to work and return home to sleep, which is pretty much all they do for the sake of feeding a family etc, so living close to the city center is crucial for them and a coffin sized... apartment is enough for them to turn in to sleep.

The general mentality there is that PC is for eroge.

Theres other things you can do on pc?

Just a heads up its on consoles too its just much harder to publish for them.