290X blackscreening but seems like a power issue?

Mr.Meerkat

So it's starting to look like my second 290X is going to give up as well...it blackscreens after playing a game for maybe an hour (+/- 1 hour maybe :P) but the thing is I have a mining PC (dual 7950) connected to the same power strip (it's because I'm skeptical using a specific pair of sockets again after it blew my original PSU...) and it only happens when that PC is on and mining (like before I started to mine, the 290X was rock solid even after a 8 hour long gaming session vs 1~ hours before it blackscreens) so is it a power issue? I can turn off the miner and blackscreens seems to stop (or at least it's taking longer than 2 hours for it to happen) plus dirty power or unstable power seems plausible as a power surge did take out a surge protector, fried a breaker and also fried my original PSU so...ermmm...

The total power consumption of everything connected to that power strip is like 800-1000watts (with both PC loaded) which isn't that high to be honest :P 

Anyway, things I've tried:

Downclocking/overclocking memory and core

Undervolting/overvolting the GPU

Put my CPU to stock (maybe it's the CPU you know...)

Swapped the PSUs around (like the XXX back into my main and the XTS into the miner, don't ask me why I didn't test different GPU here...)

Disabled ULPS in afterburner

Updated GPU drivers

Only having my main PC running (seems to solve it...but not done it for long enough yet for it to be conclusive) 

Ideas? (testing the GPU in another machine will happen...when I can be bothered...and using testing another GPU in this system will also happen...when I can be bothered ;))

One more piece of info, when my PC blackscreens, Chrome, TS and skype stays alive so I can still hear my music and people talking to me on TS/skype and I can still talk to them. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

So it's starting to look like my second 290X is going to give up as well...it blackscreens after playing a game for maybe an hour (+/- 1 hour maybe :P) but the thing is I have a mining PC (dual 7950) connected to the same power strip (it's because I'm skeptical using a specific pair of sockets again after it blew my original PSU...) and it only happens when that PC is on and mining (like before I started to mine, the 290X was rock solid even after a 8 hour long gaming session vs 1~ hours before it blackscreens) so is it a power issue? I can turn off the miner and blackscreens seems to stop (or at least it's taking longer than 2 hours for it to happen) plus dirty power or unstable power seems plausible as a power surge did take out a surge protector, fried a breaker and also fried my original PSU so...ermmm...

The total power consumption of everything connected to that power strip is like 800-1000watts (with both PC loaded) which isn't that high to be honest :P 

Swapped the PSUs around (like the XXX back into my main and the XTS into the miner, don't ask me why I didn't test different GPU here...)

Updated GPU drivers

Only having my main PC running (seems to solve it...but not done it for long enough yet for it to be conclusive) 

Ideas? (testing the GPU in another machine will happen...when I can be bothered...and using testing another GPU in this system will also happen...when I can be bothered ;))

One more piece of info, when my PC blackscreens, Chrome, TS and skype stays alive so I can still hear my music and people talking to me on TS/skype and I can still talk to them. 

ttry changing the gpus for a bit

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

ttry changing the gpus for a bit

Once I can be bothered lifting a heavy PC off the floor :P 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Updated GPU drivers

DDU All drivers. Install 15.11.1 and download clockblocker. That is what fixed it for me

• CPU: AMD athlon  860k
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A58M-HD2
  • RAM:2x4gb HyperX Fury
  • GPU: XFX R9 380 4gb
  • Case: NXZT S340
  • PSU: EVGA 650G
  • Display: BenQ GL2460HM
  • Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo
  • Keyboard: Corsair k60 
  • Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 (white
  • Sound Logitech g430
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

•  

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Once I can be bothered lifting a heavy PC off the floor :P 

JUST dont life it and do it while it stands

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, KearneyMC said:

DDU All drivers. Install 15.11.1 and download clockblocker. That is what fixed it for me

I'll give that a try ;) 

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

JUST dont life it and do it while it stands

Yaa yaa, I'll try this suggestion above and if it works then yay and if not then I'll test the system with different GPUs :D 

you are skeptical about using some sockets that blew your PSU, so you instead are trying to overload a single socket with some power strips, is that right?

first of all check for temperatures - if you use GPU-Z it should show VRM1 and VRM2 temperatures as well, I had a 290 with a manufacturer faulty design that wasn't able to cool one of those VRMs efficiently and at times it would raise to 130*C and force an unexpected reboot - didn't Black screen though

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

33 minutes ago, DXMember said:

you are skeptical about using some sockets that blew your PSU, so you instead are trying to overload a single socket with some power strips, is that right?

Well it's 2 sockets that has nothing connected vs 2 sockets that has the phone, TV, router, switch, PS3, speakers and 2 lamps connected...what am I gonna do, overload those 2 sockets like how I did before or load these 2 that I'm using? 

Edit: Also forgot to mention how those sockets are on another breaker as there are 2 outlets (and 2 sockets per outlet) in our living room (not many, I know) and one of the outlet is connected with the kitchen's (and half of the living room) circuits while the other one is on the other bedroom's (and half of the living room) circuits so I'm using completely different wiring in the walls as well :P 

33 minutes ago, DXMember said:

first of all check for temperatures - if you use GPU-Z it should show VRM1 and VRM2 temperatures as well, I had a 290 with a manufacturer faulty design that wasn't able to cool one of those VRMs efficiently and at times it would raise to 130*C and force an unexpected reboot - didn't Black screen though

Temps are def not an issue, h75 cooling the core (60C max underload) with Gelid's VRM heatsinks so max 75C underload considering that I've had this card running like this for a year and a half now :P 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well it's 2 sockets that has nothing connected vs 2 sockets that has the phone, TV, router, switch, PS3, speakers and 2 lamps connected...what am I gonna do, overload those 2 sockets like how I did before or load these 2 that I'm using? 

Edit: Also forgot to mention how those sockets are on another breaker as there are 2 outlets (and 2 sockets per outlet) in our living room (not many, I know) and one of the outlet is connected with the kitchen's (and half of the living room) circuits while the other one is on the other bedroom's (and half of the living room) circuits so I'm using completely different wiring in the walls as well :P 

Temps are def not an issue, h75 cooling the core (60C max underload) with Gelid's VRM heatsinks so max 75C underload considering that I've had this card running like this for a year and a half now :P 

Did my attempt of a fix work?

• CPU: AMD athlon  860k
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A58M-HD2
  • RAM:2x4gb HyperX Fury
  • GPU: XFX R9 380 4gb
  • Case: NXZT S340
  • PSU: EVGA 650G
  • Display: BenQ GL2460HM
  • Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo
  • Keyboard: Corsair k60 
  • Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 (white
  • Sound Logitech g430
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

•  

Just now, KearneyMC said:

Did my attempt of a fix work?

nope, crashed within 20mins both times I tested with valley :P