Product Key not working on old Win XP machine?

berderder

Hi everyone,

I bought a used Windows XP desktop from Goodwill.

I am reinstalling the operating system with an old XP disc I have. My dad needs XP for work since he uses ancient software and he will never change or upgrade. You know the type.

However, when I enter the product key taped to the tower, the OS doesn't recognize the product key.

Shouldn't this product key work on reinstall?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help in advance.

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

most likely you need a OEM image - back in the day you could not use different licencing keys with whatever kitt you happen to have around

Just now, zMeul said:

most likely you need a OEM image - back in the day you could not use different licencing keys with whatever kitt you happen to have around

Are you saying I can't use a random XP disc in conjunction with the system's given product key?

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, berderder said:

Are you saying I can't use a random XP disc in conjunction with the system's given product key?

aye

you should track down the original disk that went with that system

Just now, zMeul said:

aye

Darn. Let's see if anyone can confirm that though. 

Does he also drive a horse carriage and heat his home with oil lamps?

Seriously, teach him to learn new stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

do the call in thing. it may take a couple of tries. they try to do the automatic voice thing but somehow I managed to get to a real human being. they will walk you through it. have a clean piece of paper and a couple of pens/pencils. write the numbers down they give you ( I think this was auto voice stuff ) ( so be prepared to be quick and steady ).......... you should have enough time to write down the numbers and then type them in using the key pad ( make sure it's enabled )......... they will come in spurts of 5 I think........ you will have the option to repeat in case you blow it )....... save the numbers for the next reinstall.

It worked for me with 64bit pro. even in 2016.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

aye

you should track down the original disk that went with that system

That might be impossible. I bought this from Goodwill. Where would I track down the disc? Is there any other work around? Is this system's product key completely useless now?

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

do the call in thing. it may take a couple of tries. they try to do the automatic voice thing but somehow I managed to get to a real human being. they will walk you through it. have a clean piece of paper and a couple of pens/pencils. write the numbers down they give you ( I think this was auto voice stuff ) ( so be prepared to be quick and steady ).......... you should have enough time to write down the numbers and then type them in using the key pad ( make sure it's enabled )......... they will come in spurts of 5 I think........ you will have the option to repeat in case you blow it )....... save the numbers for the next reinstall.

It worked for me with 64bit pro. even in 2016.

I thought they discontinued support for XP though. I have the product key and a disc but they didn't come together. I'm not sure what help they could give me by calling....what do you think?

6 minutes ago, berderder said:

That might be impossible. I bought this from Goodwill. Where would I track down the disc? Is there any other work around? Is this system's product key completely useless now?

back in the day MS used to have a product page allowed you input your key and gave the .iso - I seriously have no idea if that is still around since XP is EOL

you could try your luck torrenting  for a XP SP3 OEM iso

oh, btw: you need to know what type the XP was: Home, Pro

otherwise the key won't work if you enter a PRO key for Home install, for example ;)

memories ...

Look up the model number of the computer and restore image in google - you may also be able to buy the disc from ebay.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

back in the day MS used to have a product page allowed you input your key and gave the .iso - I seriously have no idea if that is still around since XP is EOL

you could try your luck torrenting  for a XP SP3 OEM iso

oh, btw: you need to know what type the XP was: Home, Pro

otherwise the key won't work if you enter a PRO key for Home install, for example ;)

memories ...

That must be it! I am using a XP Professional Disc but the key is Home edition!

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Does he also drive a horse carriage and heat his home with oil lamps?

Seriously, teach him to learn new stuff.

I need xp for a few of the things I work on. not something most people could understand.

Just now, LabRat said:

I need xp for a few of the things I work on. not something most people could understand.

Some people will never change. It's sort of futile. What am I going to do - beat my dad into submission?

3 minutes ago, LabRat said:

And what piece of software was made 20 years ago that has no substitute today and will not run in a virtual machine or compatibility mode?

Or is this just another case of "I'm too lazy to learn new software" ?

1 minute ago, berderder said:

Some people will never change. It's sort of futile. What am I going to do - beat my dad into submission?

Change is always possible. What matters is how much effort you put into trying.

My grandparents know how to use windows 10 because they were patient and I taught them how to use it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

34 minutes ago, berderder said:

Did you get it sorted? If not people were right in saying you do need an OEM disc. If that is the case the Certificate will say OEM on it. 

19 minutes ago, RodneyMAC23 said:

Did you get it sorted? If not people were right in saying you do need an OEM disc. If that is the case the Certificate will say OEM on it. 

I don't see OEM anywhere on the sticker but I think it's true that this disc won't work with this product key. It's a WinXP Professional Disc and a XP Home Edition product key

1 hour ago, berderder said:

That must be it! I am using a XP Professional Disc but the key is Home edition!

And that is your problem since the installed version needs to match up with the key.

Just now, demonix00 said:

And that is your problem since the installed version needs to match up with the key.

Hmmm, since I have a the WinXP Professional Edition disc, where can I buy JUST the relevant key?

Just now, berderder said:

Hmmm, since I have a the WinXP Professional Edition disc, where can I buy JUST the relevant key?

It would be easier to get an iso of windows xp home edition instead of trying to find a key

3 minutes ago, berderder said:

You can't, because windows xp has gone end of life, but you might be able to download a home edition disc image if you look online.

20 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

You can't, because windows xp has gone end of life, but you might be able to download a home edition disc image if you look online.

Let's just say I happened to have a Home Edition ISO on my desktop that I happened to acquire legally.

This system is too old to boot from a USB flash drive.

Could I burn the Home Edition ISO to a CD and boot it that way? Is it possible to burn the ISO to a CD?

41 minutes ago, berderder said:

Let's just say I happened to have a Home Edition ISO on my desktop that I happened to acquire legally.

This system is too old to boot from a USB flash drive.

Could I burn the Home Edition ISO to a CD and boot it that way? Is it possible to burn the ISO to a CD?

Yes you could

You can use poweriso or something similar to burn the ISO make sure its a dvd though