Cano you take pc parts from us to uk

digitaldoughnut
Go to solution Solved by AresKrieger,

You can but does uk customs force you to pay tax on things you buy outside of the country, or not

I am visiting America and am thinking about buying a gpu or cpu as the prices are cheaper than UK (~£100)  where I live does anyone know if pc components can be taken back?? 

1 minute ago, digitaldoughnut said:

I am visiting America and am thinking about buying a gpu or cpu as the prices are cheaper than UK (~£100)  where I live does anyone know if pc components can be taken back?? 

I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You may have to pay taxes on your purchases when you return.  I don't think it would be any different than if you purchased jewelry or anything else on your trip.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Yeah but you usually have to declare how much value you are importing and depending on how long you stayed you may have to pay taxes.

You could always lie about it, but that's not the right thing to do.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

You could always lie about it, but that's not the right thing to do.

Well tax evasion is the american way, and he's visiting America so he should practice the ways of the locals :P heck even our founders were smugglers

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

TECHNICALLY, all goods brought into the country and staying there must be declared to customs, technically.

Although my £1600 gaming laptop cost me us$1650 ^^.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

17 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well tax evasion is the american way, and he's visiting America so he should practice the ways of the locals :P heck even our founders were smugglers

That's always an option ; ) thnx 

20 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

And illegal, and that is against the forum rules.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

23 minutes ago, Enderman said:

And illegal, and that is against the forum rules.

snip

The :P is a kin to a sarcasm /s to me, also it's not illegal in the US/Canada to avoid UK taxes and the forum doesn't specifically say anything on the subject so it's a grey area at best as far as the forum rules are concerned unless otherwise specified

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

you can, i do it often when im on trips, but only with smaller less valuable items, also i don't live in th uk so i don't know the rules over there for this.

This link might help u more  https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

One thing to consider is if you can't test it out in the US and you bring back a £600 GPU what are your options if it doesn't work, can you return it to the manufacturer in the UK. 

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

2 hours ago, THFourteen said:

One thing to consider is if you can't test it out in the US and you bring back a £600 GPU what are your options if it doesn't work, can you return it to the manufacturer in the UK. 

I was thinking about that but if 

I get a gpu I know some1 who has a pc so I might be able 2 test it a cpu would be a little harder....