My Boss Isn't Convinced about ECC Memory for a File Server

16 minutes ago, Smite said:

Your boss is the one whom assumes responsibility. You have presented the options and your opinion, nothing more to do. When you become the boss you can make the decisions and accept the responsibilities. A word of advice, "local repair shops" are A-Typical just like best buy know how to sell crap but know very little of the industry. Also like most have stated current server hardware configurations will only allow ecc ram generally in good principle should stick with it. I had a boss once that would give a complete 1 minute deer in headlights stair when I said something technical or asked something technical, highlighting she didn't know shit. When I asked for a 10k raise and didn't receive it, I had no quams about applying else where and getting more money. To each their own. 

I agree with your points (Although I would have likely started with asking for a smaller amount, like a $1K or $2K raise instead :P lol - it really depends on your base salary and what percentage $10K would have been).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree with your points (Although I would have likely started with asking for a smaller amount, like a $1K or $2K raise instead :P lol - it really depends on your base salary and what percentage $10K would have been).

I would agree if I was being paid the standard in my area, I wasn't. My bosses boss even said they wanted to keep me just couldn't meet my salary requirements. Just have to know what you're worth and go get it. After getting on some where after that and leaving again I now make 2x what I was making originally. Principles aside getting paid bread crumbs and having a boss like that isn't worth it, IMO.

12 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-computer-memory-flakier-than-expected/

4000 errors a year, that is 11 corrupt bits every day.

Yikes, that's 4000 errors per year PER MODULE.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, Smite said:

I would agree if I was being paid the standard in my area, I wasn't. My bosses boss even said they wanted to keep me just couldn't meet my salary requirements. Just have to know what you're worth and go get it. After getting on some where after that and leaving again I now make 2x what I was making originally. Principles aside getting paid bread crumbs and having a boss like that isn't worth it, IMO.

Oh I fully agree.

For me personally, I rank my compensation and employment as follows:

1. Good boss - if my boss sucks or I absolutely hate working there, no measure of money will help.

2. Good benefits package - this includes retirement funds/RRSP/pension/401(k) (for you yanks, we don't have those here), etc, as well as solid medical insurance (Mostly Dental and Vision, as of course, basic healthcare is free in Canada, and that includes 99.9% of things you'd ever go to the hospital for - but you do have to pay for prescription drugs yourself, so insurance that covers that is also important)

3. Actual Salary - still important, but less than the 2 points above.