would more megapixels help out with this?

So, just so happened I wasn't able to sleep and noticed there was a full moon.  Decided to point my camera up (actually more of an argument with my dad, he said it was impossible for him to get moon shots like this, I just wanted to prove him wrong)... and snapped this.  

It's on a D750, hand-held with a 2x Teleconverter and a 200-400mm Lens. DX camera would have had less to crop out, but I don't own one.

I agree with ALwin in the composition idea that putting things in the foreground would be a much more interesting shot. 

For the OP, more MP allows you to crop more and maintain pixel density.  More focal length allows you to "zoom in" more for this instance.

I'm going to try the same shot(s) tonight but use a tripod this time.  See what I can get.

The Moon.JPG

7 hours ago, ALwin said:

However, don't take photos of the moon when it's already high in the sky.  

For pure moon photographs the moon should be as high as possible in the sky to keep the atmospheric effect as low as possible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction

On 8/20/2016 at 1:51 AM, DominicNikon said:

@ALwin would more megapixels help out with pictures of the moon?

DSC_5681.NEF

Here's an article I thought you might enjoy reading

http://petapixel.com/2016/08/25/plan-capture-perfectly-aligned-moonrise-photo/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

i think this is over exposed but here it is closer to the ground 

There's no reason to take pure moon pictures closer to the ground. The light has to travel through much much more atmosphere which makes them much worse.

6 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

i think this is over exposed but here it is closer to the ground 

DSC_6291.jpg

What exactly are you trying to capture with photos like these?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

7 hours ago, ALwin said:

What exactly are you trying to capture with photos like these?

I have no idea...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2016 at 9:23 PM, Evanair said:

So, just so happened I wasn't able to sleep and noticed there was a full moon.  Decided to point my camera up (actually more of an argument with my dad, he said it was impossible for him to get moon shots like this, I just wanted to prove him wrong)... and snapped this.  

It's on a D750, hand-held with a 2x Teleconverter and a 200-400mm Lens. DX camera would have had less to crop out, but I don't own one.

I agree with ALwin in the composition idea that putting things in the foreground would be a much more interesting shot. 

For the OP, more MP allows you to crop more and maintain pixel density.  More focal length allows you to "zoom in" more for this instance.

I'm going to try the same shot(s) tonight but use a tripod this time.  See what I can get.

this one might be closer to yours?

DSC_7091.jpg

Yes and no.

Example is that to shoot the moon regardless of lens you are on a wide open aperture to try and keep the shutter speed up to stop any movement blur, but you are sacrificing sharpness in the process.

A larger sensor gives more pixels to crop in, but if you have a lens that suffers inherent softness you are still going to get a soft/blurry image.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard!