Thinking of upgrading GPU

Cgermino89

Hi there everyone. I was considering upgrading my GPU shortly, but don't know what card to go for. I'm mainly gonna game at 1080p, seeing as 1440, and 4k are out of my budget. I am currently using a MSI r9 280X 3gb card, with a i5 4590 CPU and 8Gb of Ram. I wanna say my Budget would allow for tops $300 for a new card. Thanks for reading. 

GTX 1060... it's great for 1080p and even 1440p

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

GTX 1060 if you want to go with a new card, or look for a used 980 or 980TI or similar

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

What games are you going for? What settings? Target FPS?

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading with no clear goal in mind is ALWAYS a stupid idea.

6 minutes ago, nobelharvards said:

What games are you going for? What settings? Target FPS?

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading with no clear goal in mind is ALWAYS a stupid idea.

I play a little of everything, looking to achieve a constant 60fps or higher with high to ultra settings. Mainlyn upgrading so I can give my younger sister my card so she can enjoy some PC gaming as well. figured I upgrade and get a better card in the process.

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

GTX 1060... it's great for 1080p and even 1440p

any certain model I should shoot for?

Just now, Cgermino89 said:

The cheapest :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

If you're okay with used, check 980Ti.

I got mine for $360, 1 week used.

Probably you can find a better deal than me.

980Ti is much better than 1060.

If you want to buy new however, 1060 is the best you can get for under $300, "for now".

9 minutes ago, Cgermino89 said:

I play a little of everything, looking to achieve a constant 60fps or higher with high to ultra settings. Mainlyn upgrading so I can give my younger sister my card so she can enjoy some PC gaming as well. figured I upgrade and get a better card in the process.

For 1080p60, an RX470 would be sufficient. Or a 1060 if you feel like team green.

As for the specific models, is your case a SFF or a standard mid/full tower?

Obviously a reference style blower card will be recommended for SFF cases (or a custom water loop).

Any open air cooler is fine otherwise. There is not a lot of difference between them.

Luke mentioned a single screw to dismantle the fans from his Sapphire RX470 for easy cleaning.

If you don't care about that stuff, just choose the one that looks the best to you.

Might sound like poor advice, but that is literally it.

3 minutes ago, nobelharvards said:

For 1080p60, an RX470 would be sufficient. Or a 1060 if you feel like team green.

As for the specific models, is your case a SFF or a standard mid/full tower?

Obviously a reference style blower card will be recommended for SFF cases (or a custom water loop).

Any open air cooler is fine otherwise.

The case i have is an NZXT S340

Just now, Cgermino89 said:

The case i have is an NZXT S340

Standard tower. If you watch Linus' review on that case he does point out there is slightly less front ventilation in the S340 compared to other cases, but I think you should be fine with any open air cooler 1060, RX470, RX480 (if you can find one in stock and at a reasonable price, lol).

Just now, nobelharvards said:

Standard tower. If you watch Linus' review on that case he does point out there is slightly less front ventilation in the S340 compared to other cases, but I think you should be fine with any open air cooler 1060, RX470, RX480 (if you can find one in stock and at a reasonable price, lol).

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

1 minute ago, Cgermino89 said:

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Make sure you do your own research, Google multiple reviews of the specific product. Do not just take the word of a random person over the internet.

Just now, nobelharvards said:

Make sure you do your own research, Google multiple reviews of the specific product. Do not just take the word of a random person over the internet.

yeah I spend hours reading reviews and what not. Literally spent a week reading for every part when building my pc haha