Need Help Deciding (1070 vs 1080)

Good Morning Everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a new graphics card for my hackintosh / gaming machine. I am aware that at momment the 10 series cards are not compatable with NVIDIA web drivers inside OSX so lets leave that part out.

I want to know which of the two cards 1070 or 1080 would be the better fit using my 30 Inch Apple Cinema Display which is putting out a max 2560x1440 resolution for gaming in Windows 10. I dont have any attention to change the monitor at the momment or until it dies.

Any recomendations would be helpful. Thanks.

What CPU do you have? 

Edited by PCGuy_5960
Fucking Autocorrect

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

the 1080 is the better card, tho im pretty sure you cant have it in a hackingtosh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you have an i5, buy a 1070 as your CPU will be a bottleneck with a 1080

If you have an i7, buy a 1080, as your CPU will be able to handle it...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I'm pretty sure the 1070 can handle some 2k gaming. It really depends on your cpu.

Nothing.

1 minute ago, lieder1987 said:

I have a i7-4790K that is over clocked to a stable 4.2

Then buy the 1080 (if you can afford it) 

Yeah the probably wasnt the cost, but was it over kill for the monitor that I wanted to use it with. I dont intend to do 4k any time soon so just wanted to double check.

Thanks everyone.

4 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Yeah the probably wasnt the cost, but was it over kill for the monitor that I wanted to use it with. I dont intend to do 4k any time soon so just wanted to double check.

Thanks everyone.

Think of it like futureproofing.... Games will become more demanding and you will be ready and not have to upgrade to play them.... 

4 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Newer i5s will not bottleneck a 1080.

Here we go again...  @App4that and I have discussed that :

Read the posts that follow this one.... 

In current games, a GTX 1070 holds up quite well at 1440p @ 60 FPS, but I doubt it's still going to be doing that without sacrificing some visual quality in new games over the next two or three years. I don't know if a GTX 1080 will either, but I personally don't believe a 1080 is overkill if you can afford one.

22 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Newer i5s will not bottleneck a 1080.

My brother, I understand you want to save the OP money. I understand that the idea of a good deal drives us all. And I understand that in many games a i5 is fine.

But any i5 will bottleneck a 1080. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

A 1070 would be fine, 1080 if you want max settings on everything and can afford it.  "Future proofing" is a myth so don't worry about that.  

8 minutes ago, JJBTEXAS said:

A 1070 would be fine, 1080 if you want max settings on everything and can afford it.  "Future proofing" is a myth so don't worry about that.  

Future proofing is a myth, but a little insurance is not. Skimping on your rig is an easy way to find yourself having to upgrade way earlier than planned, costing you much more money in the end. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Future proofing is a myth, but a little insurance is not. Skimping on your rig is an easy way to find yourself having to upgrade way earlier than planned, costing you much more money in the end. 

A 1070 at 1440p is hardly skimping.  The $220 difference between these cards is better spent on games at 1440p with his processor.

Just now, JJBTEXAS said:

A 1070 at 1440p is hardly skimping.  The $220 difference between these cards is better spent on games at 1440p with his processor.

Depends on your perspective. If you're a casual, then yeah. If you spend most your time gaming, how much is your cable bill a month? Getting the best hardware you can afford goes a long way towards getting the most out of your software investment. 

45 minutes ago, App4that said:

Depends on your perspective. If you're a casual, then yeah. If you spend most your time gaming, how much is your cable bill a month? Getting the best hardware you can afford goes a long way towards getting the most out of your software investment. 

I'm not sure I would consider a 1070 a casual gamer card, though people's definition of casual ranges greatly (mostly any amount just less than themselves).  Yes, if you're current living expenses are such that $220 doesn't really affect you, or that you spend enough time gaming that you can easily justify it, go for the 1080. 

OP - are you gaming on a windows partition?

8 minutes ago, JJBTEXAS said:

I'm not sure I would consider a 1070 a casual gamer card, though people's definition of casual ranges greatly (mostly any amount just less than themselves).  Yes, if you're current living expenses are such that $220 doesn't really affect you, or that you spend enough time gaming that you can easily justify it, go for the 1080. 

OP - are you gaming on a windows partition?  or in OSX?

How much do you spend on cable? How much a month do you spend on your phone? How about your car? Did you get the cheapest one that would get you to where you want to go? Or spend more?

You don't see gaming as a priority, so you wouldn't understand prioritizing spending a little more to make sure you have a better experience.

11 minutes ago, App4that said:

How much do you spend on cable? How much a month do you spend on your phone? How about your car? Did you get the cheapest one that would get you to where you want to go? Or spend more?

You don't see gaming as a priority, so you wouldn't understand prioritizing spending a little more to make sure you have a better experience.

Well if that's the logic he should get a Titan X(P).  Prioritizing does not mean spending more than what's reasonable.  

PS - thank for the insight into my life, I was lost before you pointed me down the right path...

7 minutes ago, JJBTEXAS said:

Well if that's the logic he should get a Titan X(P).  Prioritizing does not mean spending more than what's reasonable.  

PS - thank for the insight into my life, I was lost before you pointed me down the right path...

And your definition of reasonable is? Well it's yours. You see a Titan X as a waste because of your priorities. But the money you throw at your priorities is different? Right? Maybe a lifted fancy truck? Let me guess though, you need it...

OP - With your 60Hz monitor, you will see a small improvement with the 1080 over the 1070 as the 1070 hits 60FPS on many current major titles*.  If you want guaranteed 60Hz on max settings, go with the 1080.

*-http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review-a-look-at-1440p-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/4/

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

And your definition of reasonable is? Well it's yours. You see a Titan X as a waste because of your priorities. But the money you throw at your priorities is different? Right? Maybe a lifted fancy truck? Let me guess though, you need it...

I drive a subaru...

This isn't helping the OP anymore, you can DM me if you wish to continue the discussion.

1 hour ago, JJBTEXAS said:

Of course, he can get by with a 1070, BUT, if he can afford something better, why shouldn't he buy it? I don't get that.... 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Of course, he can get by with a 1070, BUT, if he can afford something better, why shouldn't he buy it? I don't get that.... 

1080 if you want max settings on everything and can afford it.

At what point did I say he shouldn't buy a 1080?  I said the 1070 is good enough, but to get the 1080 if he want max performance out of his rig.

12 minutes ago, JJBTEXAS said:

At what point did I say he shouldn't buy a 1080?  I said the 1070 is good enough, but to get the 1080 if he want max performance out of his rig.

At this point, you said that he'd better not buy the 1080....

The $220 difference between these cards is better spent on games at 1440p with his processor.