What To Buy (£100), What would you buy?

So I recently brought a Computer Server and the company on sent me the complete wrong server, so I am now returning the server for a full refund. I had 4 days with it and installed ESXi and Windows Server and didn't turn out using it for all the things that I had planned or nowhere near as much. My main plan was to have it as an SMB/NAS/Media Server but I still ended up leaving on my PC which I wanted to run the server at night instead of my PC for less power consumption. 

Since I didn't do this and will be getting a full refund I now have £100 back in my bank account. So my question is what should I buy, I kind of need a new mouse and headset but I will mostly be getting these for my birthday which is soon. But if you have any ideas on what mouses or headset then please leave them below, for your information I play CS:GO at low dpi and lots of other FPS games.

1 minute ago, lukesterboy said:

So I recently brought a Computer Server and the company on sent me the complete wrong server, so I am now returning the server for a full refund. I had 4 days with it and installed ESXi and Windows Server and didn't turn out using it for all the things that I had planned or nowhere near as much. My main plan was to have it as an SMB/NAS/Media Server but I still ended up leaving on my PC which I wanted to run the server at night instead of my PC for less power consumption. 

Since I didn't do this and will be getting a full refund I now have £100 back in my bank account. So my question is what should I buy, I kind of need a new mouse and headset but I will mostly be getting these for my birthday which is soon. But if you have any ideas on what mouses or headset then please leave them below, for your information I play CS:GO at low dpi and lots of other FPS games.

For £100? You can't do much...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

5 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

For £100? You can't do much...

What do you mean can't do much it doesn't have to be anything like build a computer, any tech device or gadget, maybe even like licenses, for example, plex.

4 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

What do you mean can't do much it doesn't have to be anything like build a computer, any tech device or gadget, maybe even like licenses, for example, plex.

Oh, ok. I was wondering why you mentioned CS:GO. Look into a G4 or G5 upwards HP proliant DL380. They should be fairly cheap, and you shouldn't need the 2 CPU version, but it wouldn't hurt if you could get it cheap. If you want, I'll PM you a link to a good UK ebay seller that sell tonnes of similar servers. It's against the terms to post a link in a thread though I think.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Oh, ok. I was wondering why you mentioned CS:GO. Look into a G4 or G5 upwards HP proliant DL380. They should be fairly cheap, and you shouldn't need the 2 CPU version, but it wouldn't hurt if you could get it cheap. If you want, I'll PM you a link to a good UK ebay seller that sell tonnes of similar servers. It's against the terms to post a link in a thread though I think.

I mentioned CS:GO as I'm looking for a new mouse and people that want to suggest me mouses might find it easy to suggest me a mouse based on the games I play. As for the server you have suggested, the server I am sending back is an HP ProLiant DL380 G5, I had an ok experience with it but found it too loud for the location I and the use I want it for (24/7 operation) that's why it's going back and why I want another idea to spend my £100 on other than a Server unless you could get maybe a quiet 1U server with half decent specs.

11 hours ago, lukesterboy said:

I mentioned CS:GO as I'm looking for a new mouse and people that want to suggest me mouses might find it easy to suggest me a mouse based on the games I play. As for the server you have suggested, the server I am sending back is an HP ProLiant DL380 G5, I had an ok experience with it but found it too loud for the location I and the use I want it for (24/7 operation) that's why it's going back and why I want another idea to spend my £100 on other than a Server unless you could get maybe a quiet 1U server with half decent specs.

Servers will always be loud. Think about it, they only really ever operate in data centers, where the temperatures are uncomfortably low for most people, and they don't care about the noise level, since very few people will go anywhere near them. That's not saying you can't replace the fans.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Servers will always be loud. Think about it, they only really ever operate in data centers, where the temperatures are uncomfortably low for most people, and they don't care about the noise level, since very few people will go anywhere near them. That's not saying you can't replace the fans.

That is very true unless I don't get like a server rack but like more like an "HP Micro Server/Center". Well, basically what I'm saying is I probably won't get a server now since it is too loud like you say and I can't make/didn't make enough use of it. So what other things can I buy with the £100 pounds I now have. Basically birthday ideas or any cool tech that is out right now.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

That is very true unless I don't get like a server rack but like more like an "HP Micro Server/Center". Well, basically what I'm saying is I probably won't get a server now since it is too loud like you say and I can't make/didn't make enough use of it. So what other things can I buy with the £100 pounds I now have. Basically birthday ideas or any cool tech that is out right now.

If you want something to be used like a server, but quieter, look in to integrated CPU motherboards.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

If you want something to be used like a server, but quieter, look in to integrated CPU motherboards.

Like a Raspberry Pi? I need something like that but more CPU power :P.

Like a Raspberry Pi? I need something like that but more CPU power :P.

Intel atom etc. They're mini ITX boards generally.

EDIT: Like this lot: https://www.cclonline.com/category/402/PC-Components/Motherboards/attributeslist/1081003/

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Ok, those aren't integrated CPU and motherboards though, the link you sent me, there just small ITX boards etc?

Then the sorting broke. Along the side, under CPU socket, set it to integrated CPU.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Then the sorting broke. Along the side, under CPU socket, set it to integrated CPU.

Oh ok i see them now, would any of these machines be good enough for a plex server do you think? So all i would need to get for these is ram, case and psu since the cpu and mobo is already here, correct? Oh yeh and also a hard drive :D

Oh ok i see them now, would any of these machines be good enough for a plex server do you think? So all i would need to get for these is ram, case and psu since the cpu and mobo is already here, correct? Oh yeh and also a hard drive :D

Probably. I'll look it up.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/2drcka/how_efficient_is_plex_with_slower_cpus/

You could always buy a PC with a core 2 quad, and use that, for much better performance.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

What is a "core 2 quad"? Do you mean a dual core cpu? Would that be much better for plex?

No, it's an intel processor. It's called a core 2 quad. It's a quad core, on the LGA 775 socket. Look it up. And example would be the Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, NinjaJc01 said:

No, it's an intel processor. It's called a core 2 quad. It's a quad core, on the LGA 775 socket. Look it up. And example would be the Core 2 Quad Q6600.

Oh ok, over in my other thread a guy mentioned he was waiting on a Q6600 to come for his plex server, if its quad core like you say then that would be good/better for a plex server then i guess. Other than cpus, motherboards and computers for plex servers are there any other ideas i you have that i could spend £100 on, maybe perhaps what you are currently looking out for or saving for? Might help me to get some ideas.

12 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Oh ok, over in my other thread a guy mentioned he was waiting on a Q6600 to come for his plex server, if its quad core like you say then that would be good/better for a plex server then i guess. Other than cpus, motherboards and computers for plex servers are there any other ideas i you have that i could spend £100 on, maybe perhaps what you are currently looking out for or saving for? Might help me to get some ideas.

What are the current specs of your PC?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

What are the current specs of your PC?

Check my page :).

9 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Check my page :).

Consider selling your GPU, although the value has really crashed lately, and getting a 1060? Depends if you feel you need an upgrade. Maybe go to 16GB of RAM, or more SSD space. Or maybe replace the PSU, if it's the old model (With the green on the label).

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Consider selling your GPU, although the value has really crashed lately, and getting a 1060? Depends if you feel you need an upgrade. Maybe go to 16GB of RAM, or more SSD space. Or maybe replace the PSU, if it's the old model (With the green on the label).

No way, ahah, like you say i was looking early and there £200 new, holy crap. I've only had the thing just under 2 years and its gone down the 1/3 of its original price. Why has it dropped so much the Nvidia court thing or just the new cards coming out? Does a 1060 beat 970 performance the, tbh i think i would rather save for the 1070 and hold onto my GPU another year and a bit then i can just give it to my brother or something rather than selling it for cheaper and having the hassle of selling it, least then i know its in good use. Yep, 16GB of ram is already on my list and is defienlty one i need since im returning my server and still want to do vm work i will defiantly be needing some more ram. It is an old PSU but is there really any point spending money on it if its doing its job, supplying power, i don't want all this digital fancy PSU crap.

Just now, lukesterboy said:

No way, ahah, like you say i was looking early and there £200 new, holy crap. I've only had the thing just under 2 years and its gone down the 1/3 of its original price. Why has it dropped so much the Nvidia court thing or just the new cards coming out? Does a 1060 beat 970 performance the, tbh i think i would rather save for the 1070 and hold onto my GPU another year and a bit then i can just give it to my brother or something rather than selling it for cheaper and having the hassle of selling it, least then i know its in good use. Yep, 16GB of ram is already on my list and is defienlty one i need since im returning my server and still want to do vm work i will defiantly be needing some more ram. It is an old PSU but is there really any point spending money on it if its doing its job, supplying power, i don't want all this digital fancy PSU crap.

1060 beats a 980. I do a little VM stuff, but I've never been held back by RAM.  SSD? And the reason the 970 has dropped in price is due to the new cards.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

1060 beats a 980. I do a little VM stuff, but I've never been held back by RAM.  SSD? And the reason the 970 has dropped in price is due to the new cards.

Wow, ok, maybe i'll consider. Ok, what ram do you have. YES, SSD for sure, i would love another one, presentably bigger storage than just for a boot drive, 256gb minimum, any you can recommend? Ok, new cards always make old cards drop i guess.