How much UPLOAD speed do I need to stream on these resolutions?

WhiteSkyMage
10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Snip

Ok I did. Seriously a lot of people are streaming at 1080p60. There is no point in holding it back in this case. I will just stream at that and whoever can watch it in highest quality, then that's great for them. People now have 4K TVs and they are hoping to see more 4K content at least from YouTube. 1440p60 might not that be that bad idea after all for some and for others, they will just adjust the quality of the stream according on their internet connection. 

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

I may be wrong but I think  1440p60 requires h264 format profile L5.0 or higher, which may not be decodable by various full hd tvs and even HTML5 players (in browsers) may have problems keeping the playback framerate fluid due to having to resize the images to less than 1080p if viewer doesn't view you stream full screen. 

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels - you need level 4.2 for 1080p 60hz, and if you want 2560 x 1440p @ 60 hz you need L5.1

Honestly, i would expect youtube to refuse your stream or recompress it on the fly to 1080p 60 hz. It just seems too much for live streaming and kind of unnecessary. 

I'd rather watch a high quality 720p stream, instead of a blocky buffering 1080p stream. I'd rather stream at 720p 60hz and 6 mbps or something like that (but quality compression to the max) instead of 1080p compressed poorly by a fixed hardware encoder. The hardware encoders in the newest cards (1060 and higher, rx 470 and higher) are getting really good though.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

I may be wrong but I think  1440p60 requires h264 format profile L5.0 or higher, which may not be decodable by various full hd tvs and even HTML5 players (in browsers) may have problems keeping the playback framerate fluid due to having to resize the images to less than 1080p if viewer doesn't view you stream full screen. 

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels - you need level 4.2 for 1080p 60hz, and if you want 2560 x 1440p @ 60 hz you need L5.1

Honestly, i would expect youtube to refuse your stream or recompress it on the fly to 1080p 60 hz. It just seems too much for live streaming and kind of unnecessary. 

I'd rather watch a high quality 720p stream, instead of a blocky buffering 1080p stream. I'd rather stream at 720p 60hz and 6 mbps or something like that (but quality compression to the max) instead of 1080p compressed poorly by a fixed hardware encoder. The hardware encoders in the newest cards (1060 and higher, rx 470 and higher) are getting really good though.

Hmm lol im having trouble understanding how it all works with those encoders. Basically at level 4.2, the max frame rate for 1920x1080 is 64FPS...right? The mobile devices, don't they use the resolution they could decode at? I realize that my iPad 2 would only allow me to set quality up to 720p even if Linus has uploaded a 4K video on YouTube...and that stream i watched was still 720p60... :/ Maybe if you don't have the encoder support level like 4.2L or 5.0L, it only allows you to use the resolution and quality that the device can decode at the maximum...? 

PS. OK, it does look like YouTube allows streaming at such resolution - 1440p60 and 18 mbps, but nobody does it. So I guess I will keep it at 720p60 and 6mbps quality so that YouTube does not encode the video and if try for 1080p60 and 9mbps - if it works great, if not well, that's fine too. That does seem fair and id imagine the new mobile devices could have the 4.2L of encoders.

For a GPU i got a GTX980 and I am ok with what it gives me. I expect very good hardware encoding from the upcoming Volta architecture.

YouTube.png

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

On 8/17/2016 at 11:58 AM, WhiteSkyMage said:

For a GPU i got a GTX980 and I am ok with what it gives me. I expect very good hardware encoding from the upcoming Volta architecture.

Hardware encode will almost never be able to match software encode.  I suggest streaming at 1080p/60 at 8Mbps, only because most internet speed packages go up in multiples of 10.  If a viewer is streaming your channel at 9Mbps, the whole house will suffer reduced speeds.  2Mbps leeway is good enough for general use.  There's no point having a HQ stream that nobody can watch.  Remember this.  Tech can be forgiven, it's the stream content quality that counts.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

On 8/22/2016 at 10:50 AM, Samfisher said:

Hardware encode will almost never be able to match software encode.  I suggest streaming at 1080p/60 at 8Mbps, only because most internet speed packages go up in multiples of 10.  If a viewer is streaming your channel at 9Mbps, the whole house will suffer reduced speeds.  2Mbps leeway is good enough for general use.  There's no point having a HQ stream that nobody can watch.  Remember this.  Tech can be forgiven, it's the stream content quality that counts.

Yeah, id take your advice. I maybe better make it the average quality for resolution, so for 1080p60fps it would be just about 7mbit/s and for 720p60fps it would be 4.5mbit/s. Now it does put high load on the CPU so i will have to test and see what works best for me, but it will be ok.