Will NVIDIA's 2017 generation be anything impressive from what we know so far?

Profoundsoup

I currently have a 980 TI and was thinking about either upgrading to a 1080 or Titan XP for playing at 1440p. But I am being cautious since NVIDIA's 2017 generation could be very interesting and more so we might even be getting HBM2. Do you guys personally think its worth waiting for NVIDIA's 2017 generation or will it be a minor upgrade from parcel? 

the 980ti is still a good card. equivalent to the 1070 when you OC, and the 1070 is the card for 1440p 60fps. but whether or not the next gen will be any good... we'll have to see what AMD's vega brings to the table 

I think it will always just be 20% jumps give or take, i would only hold off on a purchase if a new card is 1-2 months away. Having said that, i have a 980ti currently as well but unless it starts to hold me back on wont replace it.  Do you need a new card or do you just want one?   

Volta may be a bigger change as they had it in roadmap before Pascal - and Pascal is just Maxwell on higher clocks due to smaller node (+ small improvements). However we don't know yet much about it - will nVidia want to axe Pascal after one year? From one side - yes they can, they like milking people, from the other - they may not want to get their customer base angry plus HBM2 may be slightly limited with availability or not as cheap as GDDR5/X so they wouldn't be able to replace lower models.

It's also seems like AMD Vega and nVidia Volta will be HBM2 only - like if they did a specific redesign/change for that new memory type. Memory controllers are pain in the ass for GPU - sucking power and taking space on the die so who knows how much benefits they may achieve from HBM2 specific design. And don't forget about 2018 too. We are in year-to-year big GPU upgrades. AMD Navi can be a completely new concept that if rumours are somewhat correct - won't be rather for "legacy" applications but for future, designed around the specifics of one big GPU made from X smaller chips with their own memory ;) but still we are far away from any confirmed info on any future GPU... aside maybe Vega which is closest to release.

Should you upgrade: no, not until you get a game that can't run a game as fast as you want to and there are confirmed benchmarks that a newer one is better as expected. At that point there may be an even better GPU, a non-reference better design or less hyped prices.

Are you having any trouble gaming at 1440p with a 980 Ti? I wouldn't buy Pascal with such a powerful gpu in hand already. Unless you're just made of money, in which case buy three Titan XP with waterblocks.

I wouldn't expect much out of HBM to be honest. NVIDIA's doing a very good job in making memory usage efficient enough to where they've been able to hold off needing to jump to it. Graphics work is still mostly how much compute power you have. So by the time Volta comes out, I'm expecting more or less the same. Maybe an actual 2x performance jump from the GTX 980 Ti or Titan XM like the 980 did with the 680. But that's par for the course.

I'm also not expecting a next generation to come out from NVIDIA until at least 2018. If there is going to be a 2017 launch, it'll be at the tail end of that year.

47 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

Agreed, I'm torn between the new Titan Xp and waiting for Volta as it seems the Volta might become a 14nm FF+ product since Samsung won the contract to miniaturize current Pascal to 14nm (expect Pascal 2 soon I reckon)

If you want the best get the Titan XP. The full chip Titan will be even more expensive, and if we see a 1080ti it will be cut even further. But bang for the buck the 1070 is the clear winner. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

If you want the best get the Titan XP. The full chip Titan will be even more expensive, and if we see a 1080ti it will be cut even further. But bang for the buck the 1070 is the clear winner. 

Just waiting to see about availability in Australia mate ;)

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

Maxwell was actually a made up early version of Pascal designed to fill the gap on 28nm when TSMC's 20nm didn't deliver and they had to wait until 16nm. The 2017 line up is going to be on 16nm but its also going to be HBM2 and that is a lot of extra bandwidth. The 1080 is 314mm^2 and TSMC can allow up to 600mm^2 for the die size. So there is potentially 2x the performance available if the process yields are good enough.

5 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

Maxwell was actually a made up early version of Pascal designed to fill the gap on 28nm when TSMC's 20nm didn't deliver and they had to wait until 16nm. The 2017 line up is going to be on 16nm but its also going to be HBM2 and that is a lot of extra bandwidth. The 1080 is 314mm^2 and TSMC can allow up to 600mm^2 for the die size. So there is potentially 2x the performance available if the process yields are good enough.

If thats the case I might just buy a 1080 and then upgrade next year if the performance improvements hold true...

7 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

Some rumors now indicate possible jump to 14nm with Samsung winning the contract to miniaturize Pascal ;)

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

Just now, Tech Inquisition said:

Some rumors now indicate possible jump to 14nm with Samsung winning the contract to miniaturize Pascal ;)

The 16/14nm thing is just names of processes at this point, they stopped having any impact on the actual size of the transistors a long time ago. I don't know how much better or worse Samsung's process is really but since much of its jointly developed by third party companies and all the players in the space I imagine the gains are going to be pretty small, probably price/volume advantage more than it is actual performance, although even a 10% increase in clockspeed could be dramatically worth it.

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You seem to have this mentality of needing a flagship product even if it is beyond your scope of need. 

If only flagship product can truly satisfy your demands, then just get the new Titan. Wait for Volta? Might as well wait for the next 10 generations. 

If you want to be realistic, the performance bracket for running 1440p is not something that shifts quickly. Just get a 1070 if you want to run it comfortably, or a 1080 if you want to max out details.

That said if you can even consider somethong as expensive as a Titan, why not just get a Lamborghini instead? 

$1200 vs $120,000. Also I would sell my titan X I currently have and get it for about 500 or 400.....Im sorry you are bothered by my question...

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You seem to have this mentality of needing a flagship product even if it is beyond your scope of need. 

If only flagship product can truly satisfy your demands, then just get the new Titan. Wait for Volta? Might as well wait for the next 10 generations. 

If you want to be realistic, the performance bracket for running 1440p is not something that shifts quickly. Just get a 1070 if you want to run it comfortably, or a 1080 if you want to max out details.

That said if you can even consider somethong as expensive as a Titan, why not just get a Lamborghini instead? 

Right, because someone being ably to afford a 1200 dollar graphics card must mean they're rich, right? 

Or maybe they don't waste money in bars, or strip clubs. Or don't waste money on a new phone every 6 months. 

Bloody hell people...

If anyone asks you never saw me.