Dell 7447 or Asus X550JX ?

I had been using Dell 7447 for a while now, yesterday i saw someone selling Asus X550JX at a very low price (~350USD) and i had bought it on impulse (did not regret it tho). and now I'm confused which one should i keep and sell. in term of specs they are pretty much the same. i7 4710HQ, 8GB ram , GTX 850M. FHD 1920x1080. the conditions are also more or less the same. 

Reasons to choose Dell 

-2 Years warranty

-Slightly lighter

-Backlit keyboard 

-

Reason to choose Asus 

-light weight considering the size

-Longer battery life (?)

Advice, please?

Asus has better build quality i work at a computer repair shop for high end systems and i see a lot less asus than i do dell and hp 

1 minute ago, MatthewsHardware said:

Asus has better build quality i work at a computer repair shop for high end systems and i see a lot less asus than i do dell and hp 

yes, I really do understand that never had problems with my Asus laptop. but this dell laptop still got 2 years warranty

Just now, Edward.s said:

yes, I really do understand that never had problems with my Asus laptop. but this dell laptop still got 2 years warranty

the asus will have the 1 year that is required by united states and what does the hp warrenty cover that what matters 

1 minute ago, MatthewsHardware said:

the asus will have the 1 year that is required by united states and what does the hp warrenty cover that what matters 

This laptop is pre-owned. the last owner lost the receipt, i don't think i can claim warranty. also i do not live in US but Singapore

1 minute ago, Edward.s said:

This laptop is pre-owned. the last owner lost the receipt, i don't think i can claim warranty. also i do not live in US but Singapore

oh okay that would deffently be a set back what does the hp warrenty that comes with that laptop cover and is the dell new ( sorry i keep saying hp )

23 minutes ago, Edward.s said:

Keep the Dell. Dell customer support is fantastic and their machines are more durable. I've had a lot of run-ins with Asus and most of their machines tend to randomly die within 1-2 years of use and customer support is cancerous.

Also - Dell probably has better cooling knowing how piss poor Asus low-end laptops are cooling-wise.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

23 minutes ago, Edward.s said:

Well. Just looked them up. The Asus X550's build quality is quite poor. It's all plastic and not really durable. Battery life is bad and the temps are not good, especially on the i7 model. (i5 model keeps itself under 95*C but i7 throttles a bit).

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Keep the Dell. Dell customer support is fantastic and their machines are more durable. I've had a lot of run-ins with Asus and most of their machines tend to randomly die within 1-2 years of use and customer support is cancerous.

Also - Dell probably has better cooling knowing how piss poor Asus low-end laptops are cooling-wise.

once bought 5 years old Asus laptop, never had a problem with it, bought this dell (1 yrs old) and got display problem last time. (Might be coincidence tho)

i'm not sure where you live but  my experience with the customer service wasn't great at all here

The technician took 3 days to fix my laptop.

The first day i told them what i already done to fix, and they still do the same thing. 1 day wasted 

The 2nd day they re install the OS which i already told them i already did it few times. another day wasted

The last day new technician came in and fix the laptop in less than 2 hrs, i was like wtf?? they also told me that it is a common problem with this model, well if It IS a common problem what took them so long to find the solution. i had to rush in and back to school every time the technician wanted to come. The great news is Asus only provide 1-year warranty (as far as i know) and this dell got 3 years is a big bonus so Had nothing to complain about.   

11 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Well. Just looked them up. The Asus X550's build quality is quite poor. It's all plastic and not really durable. Battery life is bad and the temps are not good, especially on the i7 model. (i5 model keeps itself under 95*C but i7 throttles a bit).

will do all the thermal tests when I'm free. anyway the dell laptop battery is 20% less than the original capacity, haven't checked Asus yet but seems to be last longer. 

Just now, Edward.s said:

once bought 5 years old Asus laptop, never had a problem with it, bought this dell (1 yrs old) and got display problem last time. (Might be coincidence tho)

i'm not sure where you live but  my experience with the customer service wasn't great at all here

The technician took 3 days to fix my laptop.

The first day i told them what i already done to fix, and they still do the same thing. 1 day wasted 

The 2nd day they re install the OS which i already told them i already did it few times. another day wasted

The last day new technician came in and fix the laptop in less than 2 hrs, i was like wtf?? they also told me that it is a common problem with this model, well if It IS a common problem what took them so long to find the solution. i had to rush in and back to school every time the technician wanted to come. The great news is Asus only provide 1-year warranty (as far as i know) and this dell got 3 years is a big bonus so Had nothing to complain about.   

You think that is bad? Asus take 3-4 WEEKS to fix a laptop and I have personal experience with the X550 - battery life is shit. 2 hours at most on the i7 config.

Their older laptops were better but recently - Asus have been utter garbage. Especially on their low end X and K series.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

You think that is bad? Asus take 3-4 WEEKS to fix a laptop and I have personal experience with the X550 - battery life is shit. 2 hours at most on the i7 config.

Their older laptops were better but recently - Asus have been utter garbage. Especially on their low end X and K series.

well,that sucks. this Asus got no warranty, so most likely i would go for Dell (moving all my data is also troublesome anyway) 

Just now, Edward.s said:

well,that sucks. this Asus got no warranty, so most likely i would go for Dell (moving all my data is also troublesome anyway) 

I've been reading up on both for the past 20 mins or so. The Dell is definitely a better device. The 6-cell battery is MUCH better than the 2-cell one in the X550 (I believe it's a 2-cell one)

9 minutes ago, Edward.s said:

will do all the thermal tests when I'm free. anyway the dell laptop battery is 20% less than the original capacity, haven't checked Asus yet but seems to be last longer. 

both of them are plastic anyway :D

Just now, Edward.s said:

both of them are plastic anyway :D

There multiple types of plastic. The Asus G552 is also plastic (lower body) but it's much more durable than the Metal MSI GE62.

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I've been reading up on both for the past 20 mins or so. The Dell is definitely a better device. The 6-cell battery is MUCH better than the 2-cell one in the X550 (I believe it's a 2-cell one)

Thanks will put that into consideration. 

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

There multiple types of plastic. The Asus G552 is also plastic (lower body) but it's much more durable than the Metal MSI GE62.

this is the 2014 ver x550J, its metal-like not sure if its really metal tho but seems sturdy. 

Just now, Edward.s said:

Thanks will put that into consideration. 

this is the 2014 ver x550J, its metal-like not sure if its really metal tho but seems sturdy. 

A friend has the i5 4200H config. (2014) - it's all plastic. Can confirm.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

A friend has the i5 4200H config. (2014) - it's all plastic. Can confirm.

i see, that sucks. Thanks anyway 

Just now, Edward.s said:

i see, that sucks. Thanks anyway 

Well. I mean, the retail price of the X550 is about 550$ whereas the 7447 was around 700$ IIRC (correct me if wrong)

@don_svetlio

so this is why you wanted to know if I knew something about the 7447 :D 

Just mention me man ;) 

Also 3-4 weeks is nothing for asus, most of the time I have dealt with them they needed atleast 6 weeks and the max was 12 weeks, yeah 12 FREAKING weeks. Asus support is not worth talking to at all, I once had to tell them how to fix something....

Keep the Dell, those guys are pretty nice and it is the best laptop :) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Well. I mean, the retail price of the X550 is about 550$ whereas the 7447 was around 700$ IIRC (correct me if wrong)

eh? is it really that cheap ? GTX 850M isnt top end card but it shouldn't be 500ish. As for dell the owner bought it at 1.2 SGD last year around 900USD

Just now, Edward.s said:

eh? is it really that cheap ? GTX 850M isnt top end card but it shouldn't be 500ish. As for dell the owner bought it at 1.2 SGD last year around 900USD

Well. Price is 500Euros so around 600$ I guess

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

@don_svetlio

so this is why you wanted to know if I knew something about the 7447 :D 

Just mention me man ;) 

Also 3-4 weeks is nothing for asus, most of the time I have dealt with them they needed atleast 6 weeks and the max was 12 weeks, yeah 12 FREAKING weeks. Asus support is not worth talking to at all, I once had to tell them how to fix something....

Keep the Dell, those guys are pretty nice and it is the best laptop :) 

never talked to customer service before (i always bought 2nd hand laptop w/o warranty). didn't knew it usually takes that long for the other brand. i feel bad for complaining dell for fixing it in 3 days  o.O

1 minute ago, Edward.s said:

never talked to customer service before (i always bought 2nd hand laptop w/o warranty). didn't knew it usually takes that long for the other brand. i feel bad for complaining dell for fixing it in 3 days  o.O

Dell are the best in terms of laptop support xD - my Y50 was in RMA for about a week a month ago.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Well. Price is 500Euros so around 600$ I guess

$600 is still considered cheap tho. usually, the GTX series will cost SGD 1k+ ~750USD  (yes for the standard X50M too)