problem with Oracle VM virtualBox Manager

Guest Gazzer96

I have installed MS-DOS 7.1 as virtual machine and I wanted to test some games, so I installed Doom 2, but there is no sound and it is extremely laggy. I have DOS-Box, but I wanted a proper DOS OS.

Specs:

Windows 8 pro

DRAM: 16GB at 1600MHz

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.3GHz (Intel turbo boost off)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 3GB VRAM

Almost forgot, when I try set it to full screen it just makes it really small.

Edited by Gazzer96

hello. anybody there?

try vmware and install vmware tools on the virtual machine 

they have a free version on there website.

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.net

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.net

cpu: Intel sandybridge-E 3930k @ 4.2Ghz

cooler: corsair h100 @ full speed push-pull

motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

gpu: 2x EVGA GTX660's & 1x EVGA GTX980

ssd: 2x samsung 256GB 840 pro raid 0

ssd: 1x samsung 1TB 840 evo

hdd: WD green 3TB

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st1000dm003)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st31000520as)

psu: corsair ax1200i

ram: 8x 4GB corsair platinum @1866mhz

case: coolermaster cosmos II

monitors Main: 8x LG 22EA53 1080p 60hz

monitor Extra: 1xiiyama prolite G2773Hs 1080p 120hz 27"

keyboard: logitech g19

mouse: corsair m60

Lenovo T550

RaspBerry pi webserver:

Nas:

StatusOffline.

PC straight to the modem/router/switch/DHCP-Server/... with a 20cm (+-8inch) cat6a patch cable because same price as cat5.

ISP: Telenet (belgium)

Speed: 60Down-4Up (+- 45€/month)

ping to there servers: +-8ms

ping to other Belgians: +-12ms

- wheels for cosmos II

Please don't bump posts - especially after only 15 minutes... Once a day at most is acceptable...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I would suggest looking at the BLASTER environment variable, possibly stealing the settings from DOSBox. Most DOS installations do not come with sound card settings by default.

1. In a running DOSBox, type "set" and note the text after BLASTER=
  2. In VirtualBox's DOS window, type "SET BLASTER=" and the text you got from above.
  3. Try the game to see if it works. I do not remember if DOOM2 requires it, but you may also need to rerun the setup program to configure the sound. *
  4. If it does work, you will need to add the same line (the "SET BLASTER=....") in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file that is located within the DOS virtual machine. This file is automatically run when the VM is started.

* If automatic detection is not available/does not work, you will need to manually configure it, based on the BLASTER variable:

• A220 means address 220. This is in hex, so look for options that says 0x220 or 220h.
  • I5 means IRQ 5
  • D1 means DMA 1
  • H5 means High DMA 5

Why do I suddenly feel old?

Alternatively, you might also want to try installing the full DOS in DOSBox, just to get that "proper DOS" effect while still being able to play games in it.

EDIT: In looking at the DOOM2 game, you just need to do step 3. No BLASTER environment variable needed. In the settings for the VM, make sure the controller is set to "Soundblaster 16" (it should be automatically picked for you if you chose the DOS profile when you created the VM), and then in the VM, run the SETUP.EXE and choose your sound card for both music and sound fx. Use address 220, irq 5, and dma 1.

As for the full screen being too small, you will have to change your host's screen resolution to 640x480, or lowest possible. I do not remember seeing an option in VirtualBox to adjust the host's resolution to match guest's when running in full screen. VMWare does though.

Laggy? No idea. My system is nowhere near yours and it looks fine to me.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

I would suggest looking at the BLASTER environment variable, possibly stealing the settings from DOSBox. Most DOS installations do not come with sound card settings by default.

1. In a running DOSBox, type "set" and note the text after BLASTER=
  2. In VirtualBox's DOS window, type "SET BLASTER=" and the text you got from above.
  3. Try the game to see if it works. I do not remember if DOOM2 requires it, but you may also need to rerun the setup program to configure the sound. *
  4. If it does work, you will need to add the same line (the "SET BLASTER=....") in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file that is located within the DOS virtual machine. This file is automatically run when the VM is started.

* If automatic detection is not available/does not work, you will need to manually configure it, based on the BLASTER variable:

• A220 means address 220. This is in hex, so look for options that says 0x220 or 220h.
  • I5 means IRQ 5
  • D1 means DMA 1
  • H5 means High DMA 5

Why do I suddenly feel old?

Alternatively, you might also want to try installing the full DOS in DOSBox, just to get that "proper DOS" effect while still being able to play games in it.

EDIT: In looking at the DOOM2 game, you just need to do step 3. No BLASTER environment variable needed. In the settings for the VM, make sure the controller is set to "Soundblaster 16" (it should be automatically picked for you if you chose the DOS profile when you created the VM), and then in the VM, run the SETUP.EXE and choose your sound card for both music and sound fx. Use address 220, irq 5, and dma 1.

As for the full screen being too small, you will have to change your host's screen resolution to 640x480, or lowest possible. I do not remember seeing an option in VirtualBox to adjust the host's resolution to match guest's when running in full screen. VMWare does though.

Laggy? No idea. My system is nowhere near yours and it looks fine to me.

I tried this out, but it is still not working.

Best bet - check over at the Oracle VM forums - hopefully someone can help you there - but not sure the mapping ever work for DOS...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99