Want to get into the racing genre. Don't know where to start.

PCPartPickerPro9171787

Want to get into the racing genre. Don't know where to start. Also I'm buying a wheel with forced feedback, so that is something to consider. Any advice to get me started.

2 minutes ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

Want to get into the racing genre. Don't know where to start. Also I'm buying a wheel with forced feedback, so that is something to consider. Any advice to get me started.

Got to tell us more. Simulation, arcade racers, something in between?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

Got to tell us more. Simulation, arcade racers, something in between?

Simulation, I'm about to get a steering wheel and triple monitor

1 minute ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

Simulation, I'm about to get a steering wheel and triple monitor

Buy project cars my favorite sim.

2 minutes ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

What about Dirt Rally, I've heard a lot about that

Dirt Games are ok games, I personally prefer F1 2015 as a great beginner racing game

2 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

You should look into Forza: Apex, I really enjoy it.

That would be a good one, since its free on the windows store and a clone of forza 6, But the system requierments are quite high.

9 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

Ditto, especially since its free for windows 10 users.+

7 minutes ago, Emart1028 said:

That would be a good one, since its free on the windows store and a clone of forza 6, But the system requierments are quite high.

My R9 280 can reliably crank out 60FPS on high. I was actually quite surprised, but they did a good job of on-the-fly adjustments to keep the game running well. 

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

1 minute ago, Qub3d said:

Ditto, especially since its free for windows 10 users.+

My R9 280 can reliably crank out 60FPS on high. I was actually quite surprised, but they did a good job of on-the-fly adjustments to keep the game running well. 

yea but im running on a r7 360 tho lol

44 minutes ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

dirt rally is a very tough game without a wheel and pedal set. the game does support controllers but you're going to have a bad time...

36 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

yep forza apex is a good place to start. its free and is pretty close with the forza games on the Xbone. 

other games i recommend are assetto corsa, PCARS, iracing (subscription-based), rfactor 1/2 (relies heavily on mods), codemasters' F1 series 

no wheel support in forza yet, also project cars is dog shit, assetto corsa is a much better driving experience.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

17 hours ago, super_skank said:

no wheel support in forza yet, also project cars is dog shit, assetto corsa is a much better driving experience.

Why is CARS bad? I thought it was the next big thing?

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

20 hours ago, PCPartPickerPro9171787 said:

DiRT Rally is an extremely good simulation (DiRT 1-3 not so much) and will beat you up until you learn how to drive properly. The simulation is as close as you can currently get to 100% accurate (this is coming from someone with real world experience) and really highlights the challenges of Rally. You will probably be frustrated until you learn the necessary techniques but once you figure it out it is extremely rewarding.

1 hour ago, Qub3d said:

to me they made a lot of questionable design choices throughout the game's development, including the time the game was crowd-funded. and if you hang around on the pcars forums for a while you ought to know that the CEO of slightly mad is a bit of a hypocrite, and for some reason a lot of the forum posters back this guy. in addition they have already started developing pcars 2, even before they started ironing out the first game. in the end, the game didn't turn out bad or anything. i mean, it is one of the most good-looking racing games out right now (due to cry engine). it's just the people behind it are very suspicious.. 

3 hours ago, Qub3d said:

1 hour ago, Technicolors said:

to me they made a lot of questionable design choices throughout the game's development, including the time the game was crowd-funded. and if you hang around on the pcars forums for a while you ought to know that the CEO of slightly mad is a bit of a hypocrite, and for some reason a lot of the forum posters back this guy. in addition they have already started developing pcars 2, even before they started ironing out the first game. in the end, the game didn't turn out bad or anything. i mean, it is one of the most good-looking racing games out right now (due to cry engine). it's just the people behind it are very suspicious.. 

this

and also the game runs like pants on none high end nvidia cards, and has physx baked into it, leading to awful car physics and handling....i just doesn't feel good to drive compared to assetto or forza.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

22 hours ago, Wedsea040 said:

Thanks for this. That is one hell of a free game. 

Assetto Corsa for simulation.

Other games if you want less simulation, but more cars.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Give test drive unlimited 2 a go, nice open world driving, there are issues with the game but overall it's not bad.

It's often on sale on bundle sites for around $5.