Disable/slow 360 fans

d3sl91

Hey All, 

I have an older 360 (probably first gen) that has very loud system fans. Loud, as in, the audio system has to be twice the normal loudness to hear. I primarily use it for netflix and amazon video. 

I have already installed a 120mm fan blowing into the case (common mod), But was wondering if I could turn off, or slow down the rear fans during streaming without harming the CPU/GPU? 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

The only way to turn it of would be to unplug it, and you could put a small house fan next to it while the fan is unplugged.

13 minutes ago, Emart1028 said:

The only way to turn it of would be to unplug it, and you could put a small house fan next to it while the fan is unplugged.

Yes, likely I would install a switch so I could turn it back on/back up when actually gaming (once a month...lol). 

I'm actually more curious as to possible damage it would do. 

12 hours ago, d3sl91 said:

Yes, likely I would install a switch so I could turn it back on/back up when actually gaming (once a month...lol). 

I'm actually more curious as to possible damage it would do. 

I really wouldn't... Those things had awful heat issues, getting hot enough to warp & desolder themselves.

Unless you had the 120 you added blowing the same path, keeping everything cool. That might be enough.

What voltage did you use for the 120 you added? You could try and lower the voltage on that and on the stock fan.

This is a very common question.   "My console fans are loud. Why? What can I do to stop it?"  

If the radiator fan in your car turns on, have you ever wondered why?  Probably not.. and probably because you realize that the radiator needs to cool down.  Why would any other system be different? 

Why -- because the system's sensors have determined that it is hot and needs to cool. Duh. That's what fans do. Fans for electronics, ceiling fans, box fans, PC fans, etc. They cool things down. That's their only mission in life.

What can you do about it?  -- Generally, nothing.  Unless the system is hot because it's dirty and the fans are blowing on heatsinks with years of dust caked on them. Clean your system. Move the system. 

2 hours ago, TheBestUserName said:

This is a very common question.   "My console fans are loud. Why? What can I do to stop it?"  

If the radiator fan in your car turns on, have you ever wondered why?  Probably not.. and probably because you realize that the radiator needs to cool down.  Why would any other system be different? 

Why -- because the system's sensors have determined that it is hot and needs to cool. Duh. That's what fans do. Fans for electronics, ceiling fans, box fans, PC fans, etc. They cool things down. That's their only mission in life.

What can you do about it?  -- Generally, nothing.  Unless the system is hot because it's dirty and the fans are blowing on heatsinks with years of dust caked on them. Clean your system. Move the system. 

Oh yes, I know why - Poor thermal design :)

13 hours ago, TheDoebes said:

I really wouldn't... Those things had awful heat issues, getting hot enough to warp & desolder themselves.

Unless you had the 120 you added blowing the same path, keeping everything cool. That might be enough.

What voltage did you use for the 120 you added? You could try and lower the voltage on that and on the stock fan.

Yeah, its blowing very hot even after idling for 2 minutes, so I guess I will give up on this project since I cannot easily see the CPU/GPU temperatures to know if it's going to cannibalize itself (again - this one has been fixed once before).

Unlike what I am used to with PC components, where you can see exact temperatures and determine why the CPU is running hot, know what is too hot, and make changes to make it not so hot - you are stuck with the thermal design that the console creators chose for the most part. 

Will likely be getting some additional income soon - will probably just get a refurbished Xbox One for my Blu-ray/streaming/occasional couch gaming needs.