Worth it to do a case swap?

Lil Chillbil

Ok so my rig started out a pre-build specs in sig and then I replaced the psu, added another hard drive and a new gpu. Now I am quickly running out of storage again and want to get some more internal drives. Only issue is that I only have 1 free hdd bay in this asus case. I was wondering if it was worth it to do a case swap and how safe it would be to do this? 

This a old pic of my rig, looks quite different now but just to give you an idea on the kind of expansion i'm dealing with here 

post-20595-0-49931400-1381341158_thumb.j

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Dat PSU makes me cringe alittle bit, glad you replaced it...

Its perfectly safe to do a case swap you just take it off, leave the CPU+cpu cooler on the MB, detatch the gpu, and the psu and move it over, what kind of budget do you have for a new case?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8z-uumK_eU

Good video for a first time builder.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Dat PSU makes me cringe alittle bit.

what the antec one? thats not the one pictured the one pictured made me cringe 

#KilledMyWife 

what the antec one? thats not the one pictured the one pictured made me cringe 

Yeh lol edited post xD

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146102

Here is a good case to get started with for not that much it will give you some extra bays as well as better air flow to build a better system off of.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Its perfectly safe to do a case swap you just take it off, leave the CPU+cpu cooler on the MB, detatch the gpu, and the psu and move it over, what kind of budget do you have for a new case?

$350 for a new case is my budget. I want to use this case for the next 15 years worth of builds 

#KilledMyWife 

Apparently, AcBel PSUs aren't all that bad. Still, I agree.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

$350 for a new case is my budget. I want to use this case for the next 15 years worth of builds 

Any caselabs case, Tj07, cases like that would be THE best but you would be hard up to fill them well unless you watercool.

Any caselabs case, Tj07, cases like that would be THE best but you would be hard up to fill them well unless you watercool.

I really think I want a cosmos II just because I love the look. it looks good to me I think its sexy 

#KilledMyWife 

I really think I want a cosmos II just because I love the look. it looks good to me I think its sexy 

I haven't heard much of the cosmos 2 but it looks like a good case.

I can see the attraction, but trust me, if you watch Linus's unboxing and then take a look at some similarly sized cases, the Cosmos II doesn't make very good use of it's size. It's bulky for no reason. I'd look at a TJ07 or a TJ11, but if you really want it to last 15 years then your best bet would be a caselabs case. I can't recommend which one, because they're not really set up to have a flagship case, they're all very different, very big and very awesome. 

By the way, you won't get 15 years out of any case without modding. Modding with the Caselabs is practically already done.

If you want a case a little cheaper that has a ton of drive space, the 750D or 900D are both awesome options. As well as 9 3.5" drive spaces in the 750D, you also get space to mount 4 SSD's. 

Or, you could just buy larger capacity HDD's?

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

get a 750d/900d you'll have room for the rest of your life lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

get a 750d/900d you'll have room for the rest of your life lol

I have an NZXT Switch 810, and boy is that 750D tempting, even for me. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I have an NZXT Switch 810, and boy is that 750D tempting, even for me. 

i love my 900d so freaking much, the usability of it is unreal lol, anytime I need to add something, anytime I think "oh wait ima try this instead" anytime I need to add fans /manage the cables man.. its so easy.. cleaning dust filters is so freaking easy to, it takes like 15 seconds to take everything apart (side panels/ dust filters) its so nice not having to sit there for 5 mins and unscrew thumb screws, then fidget with tabs that hold stuff in place lol 

Corsair really hit a home run on the 900d

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

i love my 900d so freaking much, the usability of it is unreal lol, anytime I need to add something, anytime I think "oh wait ima try this instead" anytime I need to add fans /manage the cables man.. its so easy.. cleaning dust filters is so freaking easy to, it takes like 15 seconds to take everything apart (side panels/ dust filters) its so nice not having to sit there for 5 mins and unscrew thumb screws, then fidget with tabs that hold stuff in place lol 

Corsair really hit a home run on the 900d

I wish I had the space for one! My Switch 810 is about 4 1/2 inches below my shelves so a 900d would never fit! :( The 750d seems like a great quality case without feeling like a compromise from the 900d. (gotta love the 4 ssd mounts! 4 x 1TB evo drives!)

I can see the attraction, but trust me, if you watch Linus's unboxing and then take a look at some similarly sized cases, the Cosmos II doesn't make very good use of it's size. It's bulky for no reason. I'd look at a TJ07 or a TJ11, but if you really want it to last 15 years then your best bet would be a caselabs case. I can't recommend which one, because they're not really set up to have a flagship case, they're all very different, very big and very awesome. 

By the way, you won't get 15 years out of any case without modding. Modding with the Caselabs is practically already done.

If you want a case a little cheaper that has a ton of drive space, the 750D or 900D are both awesome options. As well as 9 3.5" drive spaces in the 750D, you also get space to mount 4 SSD's. 

Or, you could just buy larger capacity HDD's?

All I need are 4 2tb hdd's, 2 way sli and room for a rather large air cooler. 

the cosmo's II should serve me very well. 

#KilledMyWife 

All I need are 4 2tb hdd's, 2 way sli and room for a rather large air cooler. 

the cosmo's II should serve me very well. 

Just get a Cosmos SE. It's smaller, cheaper and will still fit large coolers, like the Noctua NH-D14 and the Be Quiet Dark Rock 2 Pro.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The Cosmos is stupidly large. I'd get something more reasonably sized, since you may get to a point where it's not gonna fit in your house. And being able to mount an NH-D14 doesn't require you to have a massive case. I'd be pushing it and might melt a little foam, but the D14 will fit in my case.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

The Cosmos is stupidly large. I'd get something more reasonably sized, since you may get to a point where it's not gonna fit in your house. And being able to mount an NH-D14 doesn't require you to have a massive case. I'd be pushing it and might melt a little foam, but the D14 will fit in my case.

yeah its stuipidly large. But I want a case to where one day lets say I go crazy and decide to plow my savings into a system with a stuipid amount of storage and sli cards and a custom loop. This case will comfortably fit any build. 

#KilledMyWife 

yeah its stuipidly large. But I want a case to where one day lets say I go crazy and decide to plow my savings into a system with a stuipid amount of storage and sli cards and a custom loop. This case will comfortably fit any build. 

Well if I had to choose I think I'd want to get Silverstone's Raven RV-02E, but it's your choice.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Actually, have you looked at any Lian Li offerings?

no I haven't 

#KilledMyWife 

I'd upgrade.. not painted internally, top mounted PSU, that's an old case. Nobody should ever spend 350 on a case unless they have a beast system, that's kinda overkill but do spend a bit. I'd recommend the Bitfenix ronin (because it looks AWESOME, that's the case i'm saving up for), the Fractal design define R4, or the Corsair Carbide 540 Air, but that's my opinion.

Video Game, Anime and Tech Fan! 

Current Build - CPU: Intel Xeon x5660 @ 4.2GHZ / MOBO: ASUS P6T / COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 + / GPU: Radeon HD 7970 / RAM 8GB Corsair XMS3 / STORAGE: OCZ Agility 3 60gb, WD Blue 1TB / CASE: Bitfenix Shinobi PSU / Antec Earthwatts 500w / DISPLAY: Asus 23 inch @1080p, Dell 19 inch @ 1440x900, Seiki SE42UM @ 4K 

Mobile Devices: HP Chromebook 14, 3DS XL, Vita, Samsung Note 4, LG G Pad 8.3, Chuwi Hi8, NEX-3N

Ok so my rig started out a pre-build specs in sig and then I replaced the psu, added another hard drive and a new gpu. Now I am quickly running out of storage again and want to get some more internal drives. Only issue is that I only have 1 free hdd bay in this asus case. I was wondering if it was worth it to do a case swap and how safe it would be to do this? 

This a old pic of my rig, looks quite different now but just to give you an idea on the kind of expansion i'm dealing with here 

attachicon.gif621924_503716426388019_702763632_o.jpg

did you verify the form factor/standoff placement for your mobo, because I know some boards specifically made for pre-built computers aren't necessarilly atx

I'd upgrade.. not painted internally, top mounted PSU, that's an old case. Nobody should ever spend 350 on a case unless they have a beast system, that's kinda overkill but do spend a bit. I'd recommend the Bitfenix ronin (because it looks AWESOME, that's the case i'm saving up for), the Fractal design define R4, or the Corsair Carbide 540 Air, but that's my opinion.

I may wait for the case to upgrade maybe in a few months the mark III of this case will come out 

#KilledMyWife