Any help with this networking?

Flight1sim

Okay so if u remember 

from months ago..

I gave up on the project and decided to bring it up again. 

So here's my current network situatione2934d0fea0597d13a4997155d6c67a6.png

Let me explain this. So the asus router is bout 20ft away from my room and the powerline is only there to replace an ethernet cable.. I know,  not ideal :P 

Here's my plan for the server:

3e5331abd76c6ddf56bb22dfc5789ef7.pngSo here's the explanation for this. 

The Router2 would take the internet access from the powerline/Asus router and create another network, we'll call it "network2"

Network2 feeds into the 16 port switch

The switch goes to the home server and my pc etc. 

Does this work? 

Would the devices on the switch be on Network2 and get internet access from Asus?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Why two routers? For multiple WIFI locations?

They sell access points specifically for that, just so you know.

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GT 730

Attachcorethingy: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infoholdstick: 4x2GB sticks

Computerarmor: Lenovo Case

Rememberdoogle: 2 250 Gig Drives

AdditionalPylons: Generic 300 Watt

Letterpad: Lenovo

Buttonrodent: Lenovo

Aural Interface: Sony

Liquidrectangles: 1 1600x900 Vizio TV

Why not put the second router after the switch? Lowers the amount of hops your data has to go through and any potential problems.

Why a second router? Not saying it's a problem as it's completely doable, but it increases headaches in my own experiences.

Just now, jman116 said:

Why two routers? For multiple WIFI locations?

They sell access points specifically for that, just so you know.

Well as i said, my asus router is in another room across the house. 

And I figured if I had a 2nd router with a separate network I wouldn't get the within-network bottle neck of the powerline adapter. 

With an ap would I have a problem with the powerline adapter speed?  

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Well if you have 2 routers, the 2nd router's traffic HAS to go through the first one's anyways.

So, an AP would be a better choice, unless you already have a 2nd router, then you can just configure it to be an network forwarder only.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Why not put the second router after the switch? Lowers the amount of hops your data has to go through and any potential problems.

No but the switch needs to distribute the connections from my router2, not the Asus' network

Also, why so many ports on that switch? Doesn't matter, just interesting.

Just now, jman116 said:

Well if you have 2 routers, the 2nd router's traffic HAS to go through the first one's anyways.

So, an AP would be a better choice, unless you already have a 2nd router, then you can just configure it to be an network forwarder only.

wait but if the 2nd router was its own network then why would it have to go through the first one. Only internet access would have to wont it? 

At the moment my ASUS router actually gets internet from a comcast router/modem (since its fiber :P) and has its own network and it works fairly well for the house. 

1 minute ago, Flight1sim said:

And I figured if I had a 2nd router with a separate network I wouldn't get the within-network bottle neck of the powerline adapter. 

What i think you are getting at is the if you had router 2, data would not have to go to router 1 though the powerline and back to another host.

The switch would not send the data up if the receiving machine is connected to it as there is not need to.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Just now, jman116 said:

Also, why so many ports on that switch? Doesn't matter, just interesting.

lol I had a 16 port switch in my cart on amazon, I wanted something I could use forever and have options for more complex things in the future.

so that's why you are using another router, faster speed between your pc and server, if that the case i think it would be best to plug the pc and server straight into network 2 and then plug anything else wired to the switch then to network 2 to avoid issues/latency/speed problems between pc and server.

i'm a noob at this stuff but i this is the best way.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 minute ago, mcraftax said:

What i think you are getting at is the if you had router 2, data would not have to go to router 1 though the powerline and back to another host.

The switch would not send the data up if the receiving machine is connected to it as there is not need to.

but could the ap have its own name so I know the device is connected to that rather than my asus network?

1 minute ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

so that's why you are using another router, faster speed between your pc and server, if that the case i think it would be best to plug the pc and server straight into network 2 and then plug anything else wired to the switch then to network 2 to avoid issues/latency/speed problems between pc and server.

i'm a noob at this stuff but i this is the best way.

actually another consideration, (and the reason why the switch is in the place it is) is because I might fool around with aggregation :P 

Just now, Flight1sim said:

but could the ap have its own name so I know the device is connected to that rather than my asus network?

Yes, it is called an SSID

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

wait but if the 2nd router was its own network then why would it have to go through the first one. Only internet access would have to wont it? 

At the moment my ASUS router actually gets internet from a comcast router/modem (since its fiber :P) and has its own network and it works fairly well for the house. 

First: Oh nice, fiber, you lucky duck. Second: The Second Router's connected into the First's Ethernet Port, so the Traffic is still going through it.

Just now, mcraftax said:

Yes, it is called an SSID

:P I know that lol. 
I always thought of AP's of just repeating the network and sending the signal out etc....

But i'd rather get a router because its more flexible 

2 minutes ago, jman116 said:

First: Oh nice, fiber, you lucky duck. Second: The Second Router's connected into the First's Ethernet Port, so the Traffic is still going through it.

only the internet traffic right? but if im accessing my server on network2 it wouldn't have to go back through the ASUS network 

EDIT: also, it's comcast so im not so lucky lol

only the internet traffic right? but if im accessing my server on network2 it wouldn't have to go back through the ASUS network 

Yeah, I think if you're accessing the server, it'll handle it like that.

Just now, jman116 said:

Yeah, I think if you're accessing the server, it'll handle it like that.

yep that's all I need it to do :D 

5 minutes ago, Flight1sim said:

:P I know that lol. 
I always thought of AP's of just repeating the network and sending the signal out etc....

But i'd rather get a router because its more flexible 

Repeaters do what.

You can have APs with the same SSID but need to be on the same subnet.

4 minutes ago, Flight1sim said:

EDIT: also, it's comcast so im not so lucky lol

Somewhere in there.

This playlist contains all you will need to know. I have watched all of them fully but can remember where things are though, sorry. ha ha

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF360ED1082F6F2A5

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Flight1sim said:

No but the switch needs to distribute the connections from my router2, not the Asus' network

It's all the same network?

1 minute ago, mcraftax said:

Repeaters do what.

You can have APs with the same SSID but need to be on the same subnet.

Some were in there.

This playlist contains all you will need to know. I have watched all of them fully but can remember where things are though, sorry. ha ha

I dont have 29 hours tho :P 

But yeah i'll be learning some stuff for sure

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It's all the same network?

nope

Okay so the routerr2 has its own network but receives internet from the ASUS router (essentially an AP) and within that network is where my pc and server will be. 

8 minutes ago, Flight1sim said:

actually another consideration, (and the reason why the switch is in the place it is) is because I might fool around with aggregation :P 

Not gonna happen unless you have smart switches(level 2+ and level 3 and multiple clients)