I hope linus does a video on conflict free

readdyeddy

I'd love to see a scrapyard war-type of video where linus vs. luke uses only conflict-free components to build the most efficient gaming pc...

anyone else?

2 minutes ago, readdyeddy said:

I'd love to see a scrapyard war-type of video where linus vs. luke uses only conflict-free components to build the most efficient gaming pc...

anyone else?

He sort of did that intel sponsored video about it

i highly doubt he could do a scrapyard wars conflict free, there is no way of identifying everything and most older stuff was not conflict free

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

He sort of did that intel sponsored video about it

i highly doubt he could do a scrapyard wars conflict free, there is no way of identifying everything and most older stuff was not conflict free

Research! :D

Also, this video would also inform many viewers as well. I mean the community can also help with some informations, you know?

Just now, readdyeddy said:

Research! :D

Also, this video would also inform many viewers as well. I mean the community can also help with some informations, you know?

Doenst matter, he is at the mercy of shit available in his local area, its going to be nighh on impossible plus just take so much of their time 

they did a video on conflict free maybe they can do a tech quickie on it or something to raise awareness, but really companies should be doing this going forwards (many are)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

15 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Conflict is part of the human condition.

Yes but extorting the 3rd world for profit is still a shitty thing to do :) and not 100% necessary 

25 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Why? What does that do? It is pointless, just because intel has slapped a big sticker on thier CPUs doesn't mean other companies will.

It's not just a big sticker for the miners and the factory hands and you're being a bit of an ass saying it is. If a player as big as Intel threatens to cut ties with your business, it'll certainly make you re-consider your practices. And Intel will most certainly be trickling the cost down to the OEMs and once they're paying a premium anyway, they'd be stupid not to gain from the good press. But pushing on the matter will mean that the OEMs will have to press their other manufacturers to go conflict free too. It'll take time, yes, but we're headed for a better direction. Us not being appreciative of the process is what has the capacity to make it not worth the effort. Don't be so cynical.

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes but extorting the 3rd world for profit is still a shitty thing to do :) and not 100% necessary 

Well the other way to look at it, those people are allowing themselves to be extorted instead of standing up for themselves.

Who are we to interfer in their life choices?

Gold and other precious metals are some of the most fungible commodities in the world.  Except for the small 'conflict-free' effort, nobody else trading in precious metals cares where the metal originally came from, and hence, metals from "conflict" zones generally won't trade at a meaningful discount to "conflict-free" metals.

Hence, while the happenings in "conflict" zones are unfortunate, "conflict-free", although an admirable effort at publicizing the issues, is likely of no effect whatsoever on the actual prices realized by metals miners in the conflict zones. 

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I agree.  Let the conflict remain in competitive games, not exploiting those lesser off to do supply our world.  Those we exploit will only become our enemies as time marches on.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

7 hours ago, readdyeddy said:

anyone else?

i would also like to see that 

2 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

Well the other way to look at it, those people are allowing themselves to be extorted instead of standing up for themselves.

You should really look up the term "victim blaming."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

People in third world nations are not chosing to be extorted. They have no choice, it is either they work for literal pennies per day if they are even given some sort of wage, or them and their families will die. 

I really hope this isn't your philosophy about the world.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

You should really look up the term "victim blaming."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

People in third world nations are not chosing to be extorted. They have no choice, it is either they work for literal pennies per day if they are even given some sort of wage, or them and their families will die. 

I really hope this isn't your philosophy about the world.

I hope so either, and to add I really hope you never get into any form of power in the world because that disease ridden ideology has caused too much bloodshed, and created too many wars and new enemies.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

2 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

Those god damn slaves in the antebellum south not standing up for themselves. 

Those god damn women in the sex industry that are there beyond their will not standing up for themselves. 

The god damn Native Americans not standing up during the Trail of Tears. 

oh the god dam Native Americans that did stand up.... and then the trail of tears. 

See the problem here? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

6 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

Those god damn slaves in the antebellum south not standing up for themselves. 

Those god damn women in the sex industry that are there beyond their will not standing up for themselves. 

The god damn Native Americans not standing up during the Trail of Tears. 

oh the god dam Native Americans that did stand up.... and then the trail of tears. 

See the problem here? 

When the fight is kicked, starved, beaten out of you, when your dignity is taken, or your culture is one of trust before conflict, when those you love and the mouths that need feeding are hungry, and the only option is work or they or you die? there is no choice, but it is not right.   They know this and when they rise up, it brings out revolutions that swing the old eye for an eye, which in turn will leave the world blind.

The problem is US, it's our people our happy comfortable way of life, that permit the corporations that we buy our products from to commit such atrocities, to pollute, rape, enslave in order to advertise to us a cheaper graphics card, or a pair of jeans etc.  

If we stop the corporations income, we remove their incentive to commit these atrocities, if we demand to know fully and take a keen and independent interest in checking out where our items come from, we will see these people's lives improve, and in the future as their countries become more technologically capable, we will see new allies, instead of new enemies.

Just now, Kierax said:

When the fight is kicked, starved, beaten out of you, when your dignity is taken, or your culture is one of trust before the conflict when those you love and mouths that need feeding are hungry, and the only option is work or they or you die? there is no choice, but it is not right.   They know this and when they rise up, it brings out revolutions that swing the old eye for an eye, which in turn will leave the world blind.

The problem is US, it's our people our happy comfortable way of life, that permit the corporations that we buy our products from to commit such atrocities, to pollute, rape, enslave in order to advertise to us a cheaper graphics card, or a pair of jeans etc.  

If we stop the corporations income, we remove their incentive to commit these atrocities, if we demand to know fully and take a keen and independent interest in checking out where our items come from, we will see these people's lives improve, and in the future as their countries become more technologically capable, we will see new allies, instead of new enemies.

Absolutely,

Hell similar types of "divestment" have taken place and worked. apartheid in south africa for example, - on the international level- was kickstarted by divestments by major companies and countries. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

There is always a choice.  Sometimes it's a desperate choice, but there is a choice.

Human history is riddled with examples of people who were tired of being exploited and stood up for themselves.

If a person makes the choice to allow the status quo to continue, that's their choice.  I don't fault them for choosing life.  Many good people gave their lives for their ideals and improved the life of others around them.

27 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

There is always a choice.  Sometimes it's a desperate choice, but there is a choice.

Human history is riddled with examples of people who were tired of being exploited and stood up for themselves.

If a person makes the choice to allow the status quo to continue, that's their choice.  I don't fault them for choosing life.  Many good people gave their lives for their ideals and improved the life of others around them.

and political history is filled with "the strong doing what they want, and the weak doing what they must" 

Resist!

27 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Such is the way of the 1st world nations, one or a few stood up and made a difference, why can't in the same 1st world nations, many stand up and make a bigger difference, to aid the few, and together reap the benefits of a safer happier world?

28 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Such is the way of the 1st world nations, one or a few stood up and made a difference, why can't in the same 1st world nations, many stand up and make a bigger difference, to aid the few, and together reap the benefits of a safer happier world?

People have to come to those choices on their own.  Look what Western interference has done in areas that were not ready, or willing to adopt our principals.

If we essentially force our lifestyle on those people are we not exploiting them as well?

Just now, NavyCuda said:

People have to come to those choices on their own.  Look what Western interference has done in areas that were not ready, or willing to adopt our principals.

If we essentially force our lifestyle on those people are we not exploiting them as well?

We don't need boots on the ground to change corporations ideas in how to obtain their products.  If they took Intel's lead and developed using resources from the country and as a rule limited Western involvement in the development from Warlord and enslavement to bustling towns with their own cultures, and vibrant developing communities, we could still have a playing role in helping them develop.

I'm not trying to suggest the idea of conflict-free components is a bad idea.  I agree that we should lead by example.  However the idea of getting caught up in another social justice cause isn't the right reason, nor is a blanket attempt to change the industry in one fell swoop.

2 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

I'm not trying to suggest the idea of conflict-free components is a bad idea.  I agree that we should lead by example.  However the idea of getting caught up in another social justice cause isn't the right reason, nor is a blanket attempt to change the industry in one fell swoop.

I am under no illusion that change will be a long winded road, but gradually changing our ideals, and slowly moving the industry to promote growth in regions rather than just demanding supply at lower and lower costs, and disregarding how it's done.