PC will not boot after GPU installation

CrushedCrouton

I have been using my PC for a while now without a GPU. My PC is as follows. i5 6600k, H100iv2. 16gb Crucial DDR4. MSI Z170A Gaming M5. I got the ASUS Strix 1070. I went to plug it in, Put it in the PCIE slot, plugged it in. Aaand nothing. The PC wouldnt boot. No fans, nothing. So I checked the cables. Tried again, nothing. So I removed the graphics card. Tried  it, and Nothing. There is no boot or fan spin at all. Its like a brick. the power supply switch IS on, I have cleared my CMOS. Still nothing, help please!

I also noticed (second picture) that beside the chipset, is weird.

13933037_1328556483851047_2142674913_n.jpg

13941160_1328553607184668_15996104_n.jpg

Are you absolutely sure that you're getting power to it? Is the PC plugged directly into the wall or is it plugged into a power strip? Is there any reason at all that you would have tripped a breaker or blown a fuse on the circuit in your house? 

I know these are stupid questions, but these things need to be checked before getting into component troubleshooting. 

3 minutes ago, MisterMK3 said:

Are you absolutely sure that you're getting power to it? Is the PC plugged directly into the wall or is it plugged into a power strip? Is there any reason at all that you would have tripped a breaker or blown a fuse on the circuit in your house? 

I know these are stupid questions, but these things need to be checked before getting into component troubleshooting. 

I am sure. It is plugged directly into the wall and I have tried multiple outlets. I have checked the circuit breaker and nothing

Okay. Then let's start component troubleshooting. First of all, how did you clear your CMOS? (remove the CMOS battery and wait a good long five minutes before reinstalling it. Yes, this is a long time, but you'll be able to confidently cross it off your list). 

Do you have any lights at all on the board when the PC is plugged in? 
Have you turned the switch off on the power supply, held the power switch on the PC for a good 30 seconds, and then flipped the switch back on? 

Just now, MisterMK3 said:

Okay. Then let's start component troubleshooting. First of all, how did you clear your CMOS? (remove the CMOS battery and wait a good long five minutes before reinstalling it. Yes, this is a long time, but you'll be able to confidently cross it off your list). 

Do you have any lights at all on the board when the PC is plugged in? 
Have you turned the switch off on the power supply, held the power switch on the PC for a good 30 seconds, and then flipped the switch back on? 

I left it for about 20 minutes unplugged. There are no lights. I tried that and nothing happened.

17 minutes ago, CrushedCrouton said:

I also noticed (second picture) that beside the chipset, is weird.

That just looks like some flux or somehting

9 minutes ago, MisterMK3 said:

What kind of PSU do you have? Full specs, please. 

I have an EVGA NEX 750WG

I just used the Tester that was included with the PSU and nothing happened with it. Is it dead? I just purchesed it a week ago and it was working this morning before I plugged my graphics card in.

It's difficult to make a diagnosis like that without getting my hands and eyes on it. Do you have another PSU that you could swap in for diagnostic purposes? 

6 minutes ago, MisterMK3 said:

It's difficult to make a diagnosis like that without getting my hands and eyes on it. Do you have another PSU that you could swap in for diagnostic purposes? 

I do not.

How about your power switch wires running from the switch to the board? Did you happen to knock them out of place when installing the new GPU? You can also take them out of the equation by removing them and jumping the power pins. 

Just now, MisterMK3 said:

How about your power switch wires running from the switch to the board? Did you happen to knock them out of place when installing the new GPU? You can also take them out of the equation by removing them and jumping the power pins. 

I did try to jump the power pins. There was no power

Last thing I can think of is re-seating your 24 pin power connector and the CPU power connector for good measure. If that doesn't work...

3 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Sounds like the psu died to me, if you're not getting power to the mobo at all. 

Like I said though, I absolutely hate to make decisions like that without seeing it first hand. 

17 minutes ago, MisterMK3 said:

Last thing I can think of is re-seating your 24 pin power connector and the CPU power connector for good measure. If that doesn't work...

Like I said though, I absolutely hate to make decisions like that without seeing it first hand. 

I just went to my local computer store and they tested my PSU. Its dead Jim!

13 minutes ago, CrushedCrouton said:

Get yourself a refund, and then buy a B2 or G2. 

42 minutes ago, CrushedCrouton said:

That really sucks, man. 

This is just my two cents, but if you're going to get a refund, I would highly recommend Corsair AX series power supplies. The quality is second to none.