Do more fans help the H440's air flow issue or is there no real way around it?

handymanshandle

I really like the H440s and I want to use one in my planned but I don't really want it being too hot in my case so that stuff doesn't have a shorter life span or something.

I was thinking maybe I could just add some Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 a bit down the road to help get air out of the case. 

I don't really want the R5/Define S or Master Case Pro 5, because they don't really have like a PSU basement.

Also the Master Case Pro 5 costs like $10 to $20 more than the H440.

Phanteks cases are also quite a bit more expensive so idk. 

So yeah, would more fans help the H440 or there isn't much that can be done about getting hot air out of the case and cooler/cold air into the case?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The case is alright for air cooling, and yeah I would recommend getting as many fans as you can in it, but if you want to water cool I would really recommend another case. 

1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

The case is alright for air cooling, and yeah I would recommend getting as many fans as you can in it, but if you want to water cool I would really recommend another case. 

I'd probably just use an AIO for the CPU if I was to do anything related to water cooling.

I would consider getting a Kraken X61 later on. Though I'm planning on getting an H5 Ultimate.

25 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I'd probably just use an AIO for the CPU if I was to do anything related to water cooling.

I would consider getting a Kraken X61 later on. Though I'm planning on getting an H5 Ultimate.

Then you should be fine if you get good static pressure fans.

3 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

Then you should be fine if you get good static pressure fans.

How are Silent Wings 2?

Cooling hasn't been an issue for me in the case.  I've got three 120 mm front intakes and two 120 mm top exhaust with the 140 mm rear exhaust.  This is on a system with two non reference 980 Tis in sli. All are noctua redux fans.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

I am in your same situation. Here's the scoop:

The H440 has good enough airflow if you have good enough fans. The front-mounted fans are enough to move air into the case. Since I used a Corsair h115i, I figured the radiator plus panels would cause some problems. I replaced the corsair fans with Noctua models: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KFCRF1A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470237337&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=noctua+nf-a14+pwm+3000&dpPl=1&dpID=515mx8anuqL&ref=plSrch

It works great and is nearly silent.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

On 8/3/2016 at 10:16 AM, Crossbred said:

I am in your same situation. Here's the scoop:

The H440 has good enough airflow if you have good enough fans. The front-mounted fans are enough to move air into the case. Since I used a Corsair h115i, I figured the radiator plus panels would cause some problems. I replaced the corsair fans with Noctua models: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KFCRF1A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470237337&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=noctua+nf-a14+pwm+3000&dpPl=1&dpID=515mx8anuqL&ref=plSrch

It works great and is nearly silent.

Well at least those aren't the ugly brown and like a taupe kinda Noctua fans. What makes them better than something like the Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 (or 3 if I can find them at a US retailer)?

On 8/3/2016 at 10:11 AM, Acquire said:

Cooling hasn't been an issue for me in the case.  I've got three 120 mm front intakes and two 120 mm top exhaust with the 140 mm rear exhaust.  This is on a system with two non reference 980 Tis in sli.

That's good to know.

These are the parts that I'm planning to use in my build, the only difference will likely be that instead of a reference 480, it'll probably be the Nitro+. Though two 980tis would be quite a bit hotter than one RX 480 that will run pretty hot too.

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($243.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($56.69 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($111.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($45.89 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card 
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 23.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($144.89 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Logitech G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($75.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1129.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-03 13:43 EDT-0400

On August 3, 2016 at 1:35 PM, wcreek said:

Well at least those aren't the ugly brown and like a taupe kinda Noctua fans. What makes them better than something like the Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 (or 3 if I can find them at a US retailer)?

Much higher airflow and more than ten times the static pressure.

I actually would not recommend using the Silent Wings due to their low static pressure. Standard for a radiator is more than 1.0mm h20, and the silent wings have about 0.9. The Noctua fans have more than 10.5. I would recommend most fans with at least 5.0, but they are hard to find. The Noctua models are absolutely top-of-the line, but are worth it in our situation.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

14 minutes ago, airdeano said:

the newer H440V2 have pretty much nipped the 'ohh its too hot' thing with the improved inlet/exhaust porting.

might look to hyperborea fans with massively low rpm and high mm/h2o for a fan suggestion.

25 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

Much higher airflow and more than ten times the static pressure.

I actually would not recommend using the Silent Wings due to their low static pressure. Standard for a radiator is more than 1.0mm h20, and the silent wings have about 0.9. The Noctua fans have more than 10.5. I would recommend most fans with at least 5.0, but they are hard to find. The Noctua models are absolutely top-of-the line, but are worth it in our situation.

Well in my post last post on Wednesday, I did post the parts list of my planned build.

I knew that the H440 Matte black has some slight differences but does it actually fix the air flow issues that say the white/black version had?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/q4dFf7/nzxt-case-cah442wm8

16 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well in my post last post on Wednesday, I did post the parts list of my planned build.

I knew that the H440 Matte black has some slight differences but does it actually fix the air flow issues that say the white/black version had?

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/q4dFf7/nzxt-case-cah442wm8

The h440 v2 was released at the end of 2015.- All new h440s now should have the updates. The case cools just fine.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

2 minutes ago, Acquire said:

The h440 v2 was released at the end of 2015.- All new h440s now should have the updates. The case cools just fine.

Well that's even more useful. Investing in better fans wouldn't be such a bad idea though.

i hadn't noticed on my v1 cases this screamingly tortuous temp problem.

three intake, one rear i/o exhaust done. installing two roof exhaust fans created a negative air pressure.

if using the aio either go for front intake or roof intake with an additional airfilter for the roof (demcifilter).

the case can easily withstand five intake and one exhaust with no adverse effects.

3 minutes ago, airdeano said:

i hadn't noticed on my v1 cases this screamingly tortuous temp problem.

three intake, one rear i/o exhaust done. installing two roof exhaust fans created a negative air pressure.

if using the aio either go for front intake or roof intake with an additional airfilter for the roof (demcifilter).

the case can easily withstand five intake and one exhaust with no adverse effects.

I had no initial plans of using an AIO, I mean in the future maybe a Kraken X61. Though when I have the money to build this, I think an H5 Ultimate would be great. I mean it wouldn't look as nice as an AIO. 

The front intakes that come on the h440 are fine for intake, but for exhaust on a radiator use the Noctuas.

The default fans on the case are fine, but fans that come with AiO's are bad.

(I actually removed the rear exhaust fan in order to keep positive pressure.)

1 minute ago, Crossbred said:

The front intakes that come on the h440 are fine for intake, but for exhaust on a radiator use the Noctuas.

So with out having an AIO, no actual need to add or replace any fans?

2 minutes ago, Crossbred said:
Just now, wcreek said:

Yep.

Just now, wcreek said:

Also I should add @Crossbred besides maybe getting a different fan for the H5 because I think @aisle9 said something about the stock fan and replacing it or something.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Also I should add @Crossbred besides maybe getting a different fan for the H5 because I think @aisle9 said something about the stock fan and replacing it or something.

I'm pretty sure the stock fans on the h5 will be fine. It has good enough specs.

58 minutes ago, wcreek said:

55 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

I'm pretty sure the stock fans on the h5 will be fine. It has good enough specs.

I swapped the stock fan out for noise purposes. The Noctua fan is ever so marginally better than the Cryorig fan, maybe, possibly, but it's quieter. The Cryorig XT-140 isn't noisy at all and performs plenty well, but the NF-P14R is dead silent to my ears until 1000-ish RPM. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

28 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I swapped the stock fan out for noise purposes. The Noctua fan is ever so marginally better than the Cryorig fan, maybe, possibly, but it's quieter. The Cryorig XT-140 isn't noisy at all and performs plenty well, but the NF-P14R is dead silent to my ears until 1000-ish RPM. 

Ah okay, so that's not really a concern unless I'm trying to make it as quiet as possible.

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Ah okay, so that's not really a concern unless I'm trying to make it as quiet as possible.

Bingo. Performance is damn near identical. The Noctua is just quieter. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 8/2/2016 at 8:32 PM, wcreek said:

I really like the H440s and I want to use one in my planned but I don't really want it being too hot in my case so that stuff doesn't have a shorter life span or something.

It's not that bad. I have a first-revision H440, and I've used two air-cooled video cards in it. The GTX 770 (a 220 Watt GPU) idled at around 30-35*C and hit 70*C or so under load. My new GTX 1070 (150 Watt) stays around 30*C idle (with its fan off) and I've never seen it over 65*C under load. Temperatures seem to improve about 3-5*C when I take the side panel off, so clearly airflow has room for improvement, but it's just a few degrees. Based on what I see with mine, it would never affect the lifespan of your components.

I do have a lot of case fans in mine. I don't really know how much they're helping. Admittedly was more concerned about pretty white LEDs than cooling efficiency when I bought them. :P 

You might consider the NZXT S340. It looks similar to the H440 but it's not so focused on silence and liquid cooling as the H440, so the airflow might be a bit better. It's also cheaper, I think.