I believe the performance is not satisfying me!

So my friend sold me a gaming pc its my first gaming pc and it came with 16 GB DD3 Ram with i7-3820 @3.6 ghz processor with R9 380 but i feel sometimes my 

gta 5 and other games lag which i hate and any tips?... should i overclock the cpu? and can someone tell me how to overclock it and i belive it came with an X97 Motherboard i bought this computer for $500 :)  

13681879_898155793661735_672060072_o.jpg

13872491_901058743371440_1872245793_n.jpg

you have to understand the R9 380 is quite mid-range now...it's not a very powerful graphics card and you'll have to tweak your settings...for GTA 5 reduce grass quality to high, use FXAA and do not use the ''advanced settings'' cause those will kill your performance and don't add much visualy.

Your limiting factor is the graphics card, not the CPU...overclocking it will not provide any additional performance in games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, tezgaming said:

So my friend sold me a gaming pc its my first gaming pc and it came with 16 GB DD3 Ram with i7-3820 @3.6 ghz processor with R9 380 but i feel sometimes my 

gta 5 and other games lag which i hate and any tips?... should i overclock the cpu? and can someone tell me how to overclock it and i belive it came with an X97 Motherboard i bought this computer for $500 :)  thin

Before you do anything cable manage that thing and reinstall windows and drivers

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

you have to understand the R9 380 is quite mid-range now...it's not a very powerful graphics card and you'll have to tweak your settings...for GTA 5 reduce grass quality to high, use FXAA and do not use the ''advanced settings'' cause those will kill your performance and don't add much visualy.

Or dont cause fxaa is cancer and makes your screen look like its been smeared in vaseline. 

Dont use AA at all

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, Nexxus said:

Or dont cause fxaa is cancer and makes your screen look like its been smeared in vaseline. 

Dont use AA at all

i disagree...it depend on the game, many games do FXAA just right, and in GTA 5 i quite like it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Your limiting factor is the graphics card, not the CPU...overclocking it will not provide any additional performance in games.

idk if my processor is strong or not :/ 

2 minutes ago, tezgaming said:

well it's based on sandy bridge architecture so it's a couple generations old but it's still fast enough...

You could try to go in the bios and change the multiplier to make it run at 4.0ghz without much effort though...since it's free and you have a good cooler...check some overclocking guides online it's very easy.

Also your graphics card is in the wrong slot i believe...you should check the user manual and see which slot they recommend to populate first.

1 minute ago, tezgaming said:

your current cpu is still very good for gaming. lower settings in games, and set the gpu at the main pci-e slot(the top one) instead of the bottom one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

your current cpu is still very good for gaming. lower settings in games, and set the gpu at the main pci-e slot(the top one) instead of the bottom one.

why the top one?

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well it's based on sandy bridge architecture so it's a couple generations old but it's still fast enough...

You could try to go in the bios and change the multiplier to make it run at 4.0ghz without much effort though...since it's free and you have a good cooler...check some overclocking guides online it's very easy.

really? so i don't need to be good ats maths? lol

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i disagree...it depend on the game, many games do FXAA just right, and in GTA 5 i quite like it.

I disagree with your disagreement sir!

Also yes as it has been said its the gfx card not the cpu..unless its not working right which is unlikely.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, tezgaming said:

why the top one?

the lower slots tend to have less bandwidth(4-8x) compared to the top slot, which usually runs at full 16x. could cause a minor reduction in performance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

the lower slots tend to have less bandwidth(4-8x) compared to the top slot, which usually runs at full 16x. could cause a minor reduction in performance.

hm ok well so should i Sell my R9 380 then?... 

1 minute ago, tezgaming said:

hm ok well so should i Sell my R9 380 then?... 

for an upgrade? if you got some extra cash then sell it and get something like a used r9 290/x or r9 390.

for an upgrade? if you got some extra cash then sell it and get something like a used r9 290/x or r9 390.

i wanted to go with Nvidia Card 

Don't sell for a 290 or 390, you might as well wait a bit to save up some money and then sell the 380 to try and get a 1070 or not sell at all.

3 minutes ago, tezgaming said:

the gtx 780 and gtx 970 don't perform as well compared to their amd counterparts, with less vram. if you can find a 6gb gtx 780ti/afford a gtx 1060 then go for it, but otherwise amd would be a better choice.

4 minutes ago, tezgaming said:

Then get a GTX 1060.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

the gtx 780 and gtx 970 don't perform as well compared to their amd counterparts, with less vram. if you can find a 6gb gtx 780ti/afford a gtx 1060 then go for it, but otherwise amd would be a better choice.

it heats my room up and then i sweat alot 

Depends on the price and game, however.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 minutes ago, tezgaming said:

it heats my room up and then i sweat alot 

open a window or something lol, or turn down the AC or something, i have all the radiators in my room turned off so i can OC my processor more even, but you dont need to go to that much of an extreme, also swapping the GPU probably wont help much with this tbh, NVIDIA cards usiually produce less heat but it probably wont be noticeable tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, tezgaming said:

why the top one?

Because the lower runs run at slower speeds on most motherboards.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

If you want better performance upgrade your gpu, how much money do you have(including the money you would get for selling your 380) to buy a new gpu?

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

The 3820 is more then capable for todays AAA games.

Its just your Graphics card that could need a upgrade.

Also next time it might make more sense to install the card in the top pci-e slot.

7 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

If you want better performance upgrade your gpu, how much money do you have(including the money you would get for selling your 380) to buy a new gpu?

i have $120 on me + the R9 380 ill sell it for $200 and its Canadian Dollar so

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

The 3820 is more then capable for todays AAA games.

Its just your Graphics card that could need a upgrade.

Also next time it might make more sense to install the card in the top pci-e slot.

hmm alright i will upgrade my gpu 

1 hour ago, Wikiforce said:

Are you gaming on 4k or something? Most of the answers here are quite ignorant.

GTA V fine at 1080p high here with 750 ti.

no 1080p