Trying PC products such as mouses and keyboards

Hi, I am looking at several new mouses, and I think I will like them all (3). I want to try each one somehow for a good few days each in a true home environment test. Is there anywhere where I can order a gaming mouse and after a few days if I really don't get on with it like a bad weight or too big etc, I return it. Baring in mind it will be opened and used but not used that much so maybe I could return it as like opened but not used? Anyway, i don't think amazon offer this. Also, I live in the UK so any UK sites like scan.co.uk , overclockers.co.uk , novatech.co.uk , ebuyer.com.

Thanks, Luke.

Try whatever the UK equivalent to a Best Buy would be. I've been in a similar situation and that's what I did; order the ones you want to try from BB, keep the ones you want and return the rest. Admittedly, it is getting harder and harder to find a place that is so liberal with returns, so YMMV. The other (shitty) option that I've had to do on occasion is just buy it, try it, and if you don't like it sell it and eat ~15% of the cost. Definitely try to find a place with returns first, though!

5 minutes ago, ogretactics said:

Try whatever the UK equivalent to a Best Buy would be. I've been in a similar situation and that's what I did; order the ones you want to try from BB, keep the ones you want and return the rest. Admittedly, it is getting harder and harder to find a place that is so liberal with returns, so YMMV. The other (shitty) option that I've had to do on occasion is just buy it, try it, and if you don't like it sell it and eat ~15% of the cost. Definitely try to find a place with returns first, though!

Ah ok  do you know what the UK equivalent of Best Buy is, perhaps PC world put i don't believe they have that as their return policy.

51 minutes ago, Narigaur said:

Have you checked any local computer stores? Check their return policy.

Um i don't have many around me but i can think of a few ill give it a try thanks for the shout.

17 minutes ago, lukesterboy said:

Ah ok  do you know what the UK equivalent of Best Buy is, perhaps PC world put i don't believe they have that as their return policy.

I'm not sure TBH. Whatever your biggest consumer electronics store is, chances are they will have the best return policies. When it comes to smaller/boutique shops forget about a smooth return; it's hard enough to exchange at a lot of computer shops anymore let alone get money back. You want a store that operates on a large enough scale that they have the margins for consumer returns, at least for store credit.

41 minutes ago, ogretactics said:

I'm not sure TBH. Whatever your biggest consumer electronics store is, chances are they will have the best return policies. When it comes to smaller/boutique shops forget about a smooth return; it's hard enough to exchange at a lot of computer shops anymore let alone get money back. You want a store that operates on a large enough scale that they have the margins for consumer returns, at least for store credit.

Ok well i think the best buy equivalent is PC world so thanks for all your help.

14 minutes ago, acheahead said:

you must not start using them, install them or input any data/softwareyou must not start using them, install them or input any data/softwareFrom their site:

"Separately to the 21 day policy above, and in accordance with your rights when you purchase goods online or over the phone, unwanted items can be returned even if you have opened them for inspection as long as you let us know within 14 calendar days from the day after delivery. Once you have told us you want to return an item, you should do so without undue delay and not later than 14 days from the day on which you informed us of your decision to cancel the order. You can examine the goods as you would in a shop but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software. The goods must be returned in ‘as new’ condition and in their original packaging."

So yeah, I think it's a great place to buy from and you should be safe :)
I buy goods +10 times a year from a store nearby, and I always return at least a few products. No hassle at all.
I just have to have my receipt with me, and I always try to carefully open the box.

Out of curiosity which mouse are you looking to buy/try out?
I'm just curious, because I'm pretty interested in gaming mice, and I've heard of a few great contenders I want to try out in the future.
- Maybe you got something new for me to look at xD

If you want some of my input on optical sensors (3310/3360 (3366 for Logitech products) and my opinion about the G303, Rival 300 and Sensei, you can browse over some of my recent threads/post :) (Sorry for not having links handy)

GL with your new mice adventure.. I'm still searching for my perfect fit xD

Wow. Thanks for that. I see in there they say "but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software". Are you saying you use/try it but just don't get it too dirty or anything and still manage to put it back in its original packing for return? Also, we are talking about PC World here, right?

As for houses I'm looking at these 3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Proteus-Spectrum-Tunable-Gaming/dp/B019DVCW3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469293255&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+g502

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Rival-Optical-Mouse-PC/dp/B00FAN4M3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469443369&sr=8-1&keywords=SteelSeries+Rival

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sensei-Laser-Gaming-Rubberized/dp/B007N6HS3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469443986&sr=8-1&keywords=SteelSeries+Sensei+raw

I play a lot of CSGO if you know what that is, also I'm MGE if you play the game and are interested :P. I use 400 dpi so don't need a high dpi mouse. Also, I'm coming from a razer death adder 2013 where all the rubber bits have fallen off. I'm not bothered about LEDs or any fancy features. Any other idea's for me? What mouses are you looking at and what mouses have you tried?

EDIT: As for a bit of difference mouse I'm looking at is the Zowie mouses:

http://www.box.co.uk/Zowie_EC1-A_Right_Handed_Mouse_-_BIG_1980090.html 

23 hours ago, acheahead said:

you must not start using them, install them or input any data/softwareyou must not start using them, install them or input any data/softwareFrom their site:

"Separately to the 21 day policy above, and in accordance with your rights when you purchase goods online or over the phone, unwanted items can be returned even if you have opened them for inspection as long as you let us know within 14 calendar days from the day after delivery. Once you have told us you want to return an item, you should do so without undue delay and not later than 14 days from the day on which you informed us of your decision to cancel the order. You can examine the goods as you would in a shop but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software. The goods must be returned in ‘as new’ condition and in their original packaging."

So yeah, I think it's a great place to buy from and you should be safe :)
I buy goods +10 times a year from a store nearby, and I always return at least a few products. No hassle at all.
I just have to have my receipt with me, and I always try to carefully open the box.

Out of curiosity which mouse are you looking to buy/try out?
I'm just curious, because I'm pretty interested in gaming mice, and I've heard of a few great contenders I want to try out in the future.
- Maybe you got something new for me to look at xD

If you want some of my input on optical sensors (3310/3360 (3366 for Logitech products) and my opinion about the G303, Rival 300 and Sensei, you can browse over some of my recent threads/post :) (Sorry for not having links handy)

GL with your new mice adventure.. I'm still searching for my perfect fit xD

Wow. Thanks for that. I see in there they say "but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software". Are you saying you use/try it but just don't get it too dirty or anything and still manage to put it back in its original packing for return? Also, we are talking about PC World here, right?

As for houses I'm looking at these 3:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Proteus-Spectrum-Tunable-Gaming/dp/B019DVCW3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469293255&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+g502

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Rival-Optical-Mouse-PC/dp/B00FAN4M3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469443369&sr=8-1&keywords=SteelSeries+Rival

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sensei-Laser-Gaming-Rubberized/dp/B007N6HS3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469443986&sr=8-1&keywords=SteelSeries+Sensei+raw

I play a lot of CSGO if you know what that is, also I'm MGE if you play the game and are interested :P. I use 400 dpi so don't need a high dpi mouse. Also, I'm coming from a razer death adder 2013 where all the rubber bits have fallen off. I'm not bothered about LEDs or any fancy features. Any other idea's for me? What mouses are you looking at and what mouses have you tried? 

23 hours ago, acheahead said:

Well it kinda depends, and I'm honestly a bit surprised how laid back my store is about return policy (Well they are a rather large company).
I've only ever returned products like mice, keyboards and a few other electronics items, and within the 14 return-policy (standard/minimum in my country).
I have NO idea what happened to them, if they went on a 50% sale or something like that - I have no idea.
Sometimes they mix used hardware with new hardware and do a 50% discount on everything o.O
One time I bought either a display model, or a return model of a keyboard, which had an entirely wrong cord to it - Which was 0,5 meters long, instead of the regular 1½ xD

The part about "don't use it", I THINK, tries to cover items such as health products, and i.e computers/phones.
When you start using a device and put any information onto it, they have to wipe it, reset it etc = man hours.
Some shops deal with it fine (I'm only guessing), some might be pricks (again just a guess xD).

*slight giggle*
If you had posted the mice in the opposite direction, and instead had a G303 as the logitech it would be my mouse history defined PERFECTLY hahaha.
I went from on old Razer, to the Sensei. I didn't like it, mostly because of the buttons, but also a bit due to tracking < I think they require a hardmat (as my research suggest).
Then I bought the R300, and a few months later bought a G303 and a R100.

About rubber bits, the sensei, sensors and "my history/opinion" about these mice - Please check my old post. I don't have that many, so they should be easy to spot :D The walls are just as big as this one, but easy to spot. No need to proof-read it, just glimpse over it. Most of it is gibberish anyways xD
Ah, and yep - I do play CSgo ;)

TL;DR
Buy a mouse with a 3310/3366 sensor in it, unless you have a proper hardmat.
If you're up for spending a shit load of time trying out different mice, shapes and sensors I'd suggest trying the a Laser first then any 3310 and then any 3360/66 mouse :)

I probably won't be responding anymore for a few hours just FYI :)

Ok well then. Just to ask again it is PCWorld we are talking about right as for "your stores" return policy. Where do you live, in the UK?

I have a keyboard and mouse large desk cloth matt from SteelSeries so its cloth.

As for sensors, i have no clue about them. What is the razer DeathAdder 2013, laser or optical? What is better for fast movement and tracking and games such as CSGO, do you know?

What mouses have the 3310/3366 in it?

Also what mouses are good for a cloth surface mouse mat with good sensors.

11 hours ago, acheahead said:

I don't live in the UK, but I imagine the practices would be quite similar (I live in Denmark btw, it's says so right under my name :D).
As ogretactics mentioned, a bigger company usually offers a smother return experience.
While I haven't had any experience with smaller shops, yet, I've only had good experiences returning my items to the large company that's nearby where I live.
- And I just googled the shop I'm buying from. It's "basically" the same as PC World, from what I can gather.
Dixons Carphone plc. owns PC World, and runs similar companies around Scandinavia and a few southern Europe countries too.
.. So yeah, I think you're safe :)

This is one of the links I use for quick sum up on things, and also to compare "older" mice;
https://geekhack.org/?topic=56240.0
Your mice is listed, and there you can read a bit on whats inside it, and what problems people have reported on it.
Also it covers A LOT of the topics you might encounter; mouse jitter, lag, delay, lift of distance, laser sensors, optical sensors, switches.... you name it, and it probably got you covered.
The list was last updated September '15, so please keep that in mind. Especially since there are lot of mice being pumped out at the moment.

If you haven't checked out my old post already I'd recommend looking at this, if you want some info on "things to consider when buying a mouse".
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/629006-budget-gaming-mouse/#comment-8126703

I don't really talk that much about the sensors, only how I like the 3360 and 3310 over lasers (and in that order) - But I feel I need more info, testing and research done to really be certain. I've only tried a few variants so far :)

Another thread, from here, with very great info provided by Pandalf (Give him a thumbs up if you go read ;)) where he talks about shape/hand size can be found here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631729-reccomended-competitive-fps-mouse/?page=1

Also I chip in with some input on the R300, and a few pictures of the crappy rubber :P

TL;DR/Job to do:
- Click links and get overwhelmed by all the content and all the things you might have to consider when buying a mouse.
- Take note of important factors you want in your mouse, and narrow down your searches accordingly.
- Research research research. Google is your friend :)

Ah ok cool, sorry didn't notice that location thing under people's name.

Ok PC world is generally good on returning other things but I've never really tested a product then returned. But unboxed products they have always taken back fine from me.

Wow, thanks for all the links im going to go and have a big read up now.

But i think its either going to be this:

or this:

http://www.box.co.uk/Zowie_EC1-A_Right_Handed_Mouse_-_BIG_1980090.html

:)